Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

manarak I'm curious, where did you get the thing that allows you to tell if your focus was off? I'll be running some tests this week.

Maybe I sound insensitive but its not the case at all. I do care!  But if I had to live my whole life based on how everyone might be sensitive to me.. I would not be living my life as I want it. So you can accept me and my flaws as I am or you can't.

Comment

aah, sherlock, maybe try focustestchart.com ?

here is a direct link to the PDF file - be sure to print out the PDF, not the website, otherwise you tests won't work.
      http://focustestchart.com/focus21.pdf

I don't think you will have trouble with single lens cameras though - these get thoroughly tested.

Comment

Thanks. I needed it because, I got a D90 and a 35mm f1.8 lens to augment the other one.

Maybe I sound insensitive but its not the case at all. I do care!  But if I had to live my whole life based on how everyone might be sensitive to me.. I would not be living my life as I want it. So you can accept me and my flaws as I am or you can't.

Comment

(Jake_Sully @ Oct. 26 2010,03:00) Thanks. I needed it because, I got a D90 and a 35mm f1.8 lens to augment the other one.

so you did the jump into the DSLR world!

congrats!

Comment

Congrats to you too! I can't wait to see new snaps from your new 30mm.

Comment

(Jake_Sully @ Oct. 25 2010,16:00) Thanks. I needed it because, I got a D90 and a 35mm f1.8 lens to augment the other one.
              Finaly! You just couldn't resist, could you.  
              "Even ladyboys are size queens" - Anonymous

Comment

Hehe nope a certain someone and I won't say who, talked me into it and I found a good deal from the other side of the border (simons cameras).. body only d90 on sale cheaper than D3100 here. (They must have been trying to make money while they can since the D7000 is the new thing.)

But I couldn't afford the 18-200mm lens yet.. I just got the prime since I was told moving around is much better than twisting the zoom ring as a solution for every problem.

Part of me is wondering if I should just use the prime for 90% of my shots and take a cheaper super zoom out of the bag for when I really need the zoom. I mean I hope I don't sound jaded but is it worth spending $750-850 on a lens to give the world another portrait of a lion? I'll decide this maybe in   after comparing prices there.

Comment

Jake_Sully, you don't have to buy a Nikon zoom lens for good results. Tamron makes an 18-270 stabilized zoom that costs much less than the Nikon. Sigma does as well. You can save more if you get the non-optically stabilized lenses as well. I've seen good reviews for the Tamron.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
                  Membership Levels
                  The Rookie Thread
                  New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
                  Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

That 35mm prime is going to give you fantastic results when you get to LOS. It is one of two lenses I wish I had with me when I was there.

Even though I had the focal length covered with the 18-105mm lens I had on the camera, the fast speed & better bokeh would have taken nicer pictures.

The first thing you are going to discover is that the 35mm isn't wide enough for most close situations, such as group shots, bar scenes, etc.

Rather than looking at a telephoto, consider a wide angle zoom like the Sigma 10-20mm, the other lens I would have liked while away.

Take your D90 to a camera shop that sells the Sigma & ask to try it on your camera. Despite some distortion at extreme wide angle, it won't take long to realise its potential.
                    Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

(Jake_Sully @ Oct. 26 2010,06:33) I'll decide this maybe in   after comparing prices there.
                      Thailand is no bargain for imported goods. Unless you found someone having a major sale, the 45% import duty means LOS cannot be compared to Hong Kong or even Singapore.

The best price in the US will knock spots off any deal you can do in LOS. Go online, there are some great sites.

Comment

I was thinking since the 18-200 VRII is made in los, might have a discount but alternatives are definitely food for thought.

By the way paccie, I am guessing by your answer, you did take your camera into bars and it wouldn't be at danger of getting dirt and beer etc in it?

Comment

No discount for lenses in Thailand made in Thailand. The USA has the best prices for photo equipment.

Membership Levels
                          The Rookie Thread

Comment

Don't you mean Canada?

The D90 goes for $829 here brand new body only. I got it almost 200 off from . Americans are highway robbers!

But thanks rx, I'll look into lens locally. Are 2nd hand lens a bad idea?

Comment

You probably picked it up on a clearance sale. The D90 is now an old model and will likely be discontinued in the near future.

Generally the US has the best prices for photo gear. A used lens is a crapshoot - it's like buying a used car. You might get lucky if the person looked after it well or get stuck if the person abused it.

There are some photo stores that sell realistic graded used lens, B&H is one and so is KEH, both have good web sites. Of course there isn't a warranty with these or a short one.

Check out the reviews for the Tamron 18-270 and the Sigma 18-250 zooms.

Membership Levels
                              The Rookie Thread

Comment

Second hand lenses, if they have been looked after, are fine. Certain models that were last in production many years ago are highly sought after for their high quality optics.

If the lens isn't a Nikkor, you must ensure it has a Nikon fitting & you may lose auto-focus, no biggie. Older lenses won't be compatible with your metering system, a reason to limit your buying to later model, fully compatible lenses.

As to the bar shots, the only one I took my camera to was downstairs at Obsessions. One of the advantages when you stay at the Penthouse, no walking around late at night with expensive camera gear. The risk of theft was a bigger consideration than dirt & beer.

But Manarak takes his Canon with him in a bag & has no problems, apart from rain. A few drops of water won't do the electronics any good at all.

And what a great price you picked up the body for...         For a brand new, guaranteed Nikon of this quality, it sounds like a bargain to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X