X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Privacy Policy by Apple

Apple has adopted a new Privacy Policy, officially because the private data "matters to them".

I can believe that, because the new policy allows Apple to:
    - gather user data
    - gather behavioral data
    - resell it
    so it seems to matter a lot indeed.

the best is, Apple can share your:
    - realtime geolocation
    - fingerprints

http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com/talk....ate.php

http://www.zdnet.com/blog....67

and even better, the user automatically agrees with the policy when he buys an apple product!

and better and better, Apple bans customers from using apps or music if they opt out of tracking!!!

http://www.dailytech.com/So+Long....805.htm

Welcome to the Apple world!!

I'm glad I don't have a single of their products.

Sigh. Never owned apple, never planned to, but was considering an ipod touch...

Maybe I sound insensitive but its not the case at all. I do care!  But if I had to live my whole life based on how everyone might be sensitive to me.. I would not be living my life as I want it. So you can accept me and my flaws as I am or you can't.

Comment

I have an iPod (classic as they now call it) and I have always thought it is a very well designed and constructed product.

Shortly after I got the iPod I made use of the Apple online store and downloaded a couple of music tracks.
      Not too long after that my computer crashed.  That was nothing to do with Apple!
      My laptop gets dragged all over the place, dropped and plugged into some pretty horrible power supply systems so crashes are not exactly a surprise.

I did a re-install of the OS and the iPod software and found that the music tracks I had bought and paid for apparently did not belong to me.
      In other words I would have to pay for them again  -  sorry Apple I ain't that stupid!

I did a little research and found, as Manarak states, that Apple seem to have their own ideas as to who has rights over what, when it comes to your computer, other Apple products, or your own personal data or habits.

Don't kid yourselves though  -  MicroShaft are the same.  Some of you have seen MS Windows Genuine Advantage or WGA under XP.
      The advantage is ALL MicroShaft's  -  this IS spyware!  MS admitted as much under their own rules both as to the way it's installed and in the way it works. First thing I do after a new install is hunt down all MS spyware and remove/disable it.

When they bodged Vista together they changed the name of the spyware and buried it deeper within the diagnosis software in the hope you would fail to find it.  It phones home every few minutes and sends details of what web pages you are browsing and all sorts of other data.  I admit I still have not worked out how to disable it in Vista.  The classic part is the diagnosis software spyware is one route that malicious programs use to break into your computer.

As for Windows7 I have no experience  -  but as it's really only Vista service pack 3 + $99  -  I have no doubt it works limps along in the same fashion as Vista.

Welcome to 1984 2010.

RR.
      Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
      Kahuna

Comment

Hi RR,

Windows 7 is far superior to Vista. Way faster to boot and less likely to crash (so far.) It takes me back to the golden days of XP.
        f0xxee

"Spelling - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."

Comment

(Road Runner @ Jul. 09 2010,19:49) Don't kid yourselves though  -  MicroShaft are the same.  Some of you have seen MS Windows Genuine Advantage or WGA under XP.
          The advantage is ALL MicroShaft's  -  this IS spyware!  MS admitted as much under their own rules both as to the way it's installed and in the way it works. First thing I do after a new install is hunt down all MS spyware and remove/disable it.
          Actually 7 is a dream and as for the genuine, well I refuse to believe everyone in SE Asia pays for it. Any internet cafe has bootlegs and they'll sell you a copy for a bit too. So its a little bit of a leg up.

Personally since I was a hardcore gamer, I always preferred MS if only because of DirectX. However at work I use solaris, much easier to work with and you can download it for free.

To be honest, if someone has a laptop or a pc and all they do is surf the web, watch videos, listen to music and write the occasional papers, there's no reason a person should not be using a linux distribution. Its free source, its easy and you get to say, "Fuck you Mac-in-TRASH & Microshit."

Maybe I sound insensitive but its not the case at all. I do care!  But if I had to live my whole life based on how everyone might be sensitive to me.. I would not be living my life as I want it. So you can accept me and my flaws as I am or you can't.

Comment

7 is NOT Vista. 7 actually works...and I have the Home premium version fully loaded and working well on my low spec net book.

Apple's are not for me... but I ain't a member of the cappuccino set.
            SHEMALE.CENTER
            World's Greatest Tgirl Cam Site.

Comment

No word from Snick yet?

From my very personal point of view, I don't really care what Apple does behind my back with my data. This may sound foolish but I also believe that there is only this much they can do and even want to do. And what do I know whether others are better.

I just really like Apple products and I am usually not a Brand person at all. I just think that they look good, and above all work well. But I also do not want to convince anyone to use Apple or buy their products, I just happen to like them and for this I (almost) let them get with murder ;-)

The only other brands I really have been faithful to over many years are Giordano black T-shirts and Altoids mints.

Which makes me think - Trojans or Durex? Is there a significant difference???

Comment

Wow, my 1000th post, wasted on such profane issue ...

Comment

I'm sure Apple have taken note & an e-card is on its way...      
                  Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

(Chinaman @ Jul. 09 2010,21:58) Wow, my 1000th post, wasted on such profane issue ...  
                    Congrats bro!

I owe u an Anchor!

Comment

It's not just Apple and MicroShaft that help themselves to your personal data.

There's an article about Google on Yahoo; Google broke Australia's privacy law when it collected private information from wireless networks.

The problem as I see it is all too often these data collection routes also act as a way for viruses and other forms of attack on your computer.

My laptop ended up with an unremovable rootkit in Vista. Admittedly I suspect it got in via the Adobe software that I also had on it but have no way of proving it either way. The other possibility is that it got in via Vista's own diagnosis program.

Windows 7 - yes I know it's allegedly an improvment on Vista. It's just that in the same way I'm not going to be conned by Apple into paying twice for a tune I downloaded, I'm also not going to conned by MS into paying them to fix a problem they knowingly created.

Would you want to buy a car that has a serious risk of catching fire and then be told 'Oh yes we knew about that before we sold it. Pay us $1000 and we'll fix it'

RR.
                      Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

Kahuna

Comment

My laptop ended up with an unremovable rootkit in Vista. Admittedly I suspect it got in via the Adobe software that I also had on it but have no way of proving it either way.
                        err... all that was genuine software? ching ching?

Comment

at least on Windows platforms, you can be sure that for the pirated versions, the crackers removed the M$ spyware... only sometimes to replace it with their own!
                          Choose your version carefully.

Comment

Yes! Apart from one Adobe program I had disabled it's attempts at internet access.

And yes I had firewalls, virus protection and anti-spyware etc.

The reason I suspect Adobe is it failed to complete Adobe updates about 3 or 4 times in a row  -  shortly after that it started to manifest some other problems.
                            Having no previous experience of rootkits it took me some while to figure out what was happening  -   I knew something was wrong but could not locate it.

You may have noticed a some months ago there was a dispute between MS and Adobe about security.  It may be a coincidence.

RR.

Kahuna

Comment

Working...
                            X