X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Router

I have cable internet and I plug the cable into my laptop.

If i want to bring my laptop out to the balcony I can buy a longer cable but I dont like 6 feet of wire.

Someone suggested I buy a router. My understanding is that the cable wouldplug into the router and then I could move the laptop around my room.

Are there security issues with routers? Any other downside other than having to buy one?

How close to the router do I need to be?

Hey PD,
    any router should be fine, when setting up install a password of only you will know.
    no one can use your connection then only you. it will or should work all around your home as you should be able to connect up to 30feet min.

see ya soon Muka

 SW„¢
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CT8982

Comment

PD please, do not buy a wireless router especially if you at any time will be doing any internet banking or credit card buying. The only 100% way to be safe and have the best connection is wired.

However if you still want to do a wireless router, I suggest going with either D-Link or Linksys and taking the time to set up the network in a secured manner which only allows access to you. If you ever reboot the router, make sure it didn't reset either.

People in the states are notorious for using their laptops and sniffing out CC info from logs of unsecured networks. Last time I was in the philippines (2 years ago), it hadn't caught on there and there were a few unsecured networks which I caught on my wifi. I'm not sure how things are now in SE Asia.

But safest = wire, Acceptable = wireless (if set up correctly and network secure but you may have the occasional dropout of signal on a bad router).

If you just want to bring it over to your balcony for a little chat and movie watching a router will be fine but if it comes down to cost, even a 100 feet RJ-45 cable is much cheaper than a router! ($7 vs $40-100)  

Maybe I sound insensitive but its not the case at all. I do care!  But if I had to live my whole life based on how everyone might be sensitive to me.. I would not be living my life as I want it. So you can accept me and my flaws as I am or you can't.

Comment

PD, actually doing secure transactions on a wireless network are ok if the following precautions are taken:
        1) set up the security that is available in your wireless router. That will prevent someone from accessing your wireless network easily.

2) use a VPN for secure transactions like banking, trading stocks, online purchases. I know that you can get a free VPN from an very reliable source. Send a pm to BAM and he can set you up.

The VPN will make it difficult for anyone to access your information even if they did manage to get into your wireless network.

3) The odds of anyone trying to hack into your wifi network in Pattaya are probably less likely than if you were in New York.

Also I should mention do not perform secure transactions on public wifi networks, like at the airport, starbucks, hotels, internet cafes, etc. unless you are using a VPN.

Also with regard to using internet cafe computers - be aware that keylogging programs are not uncommon on these computer so once again do not perform any secure transactions on these computers and it is a good idea to change your passwords for e-mail after you get back home or get back to using your own computer or one you know is secure.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
        Membership Levels
        The Rookie Thread
        New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
        Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Make sure you can plug the 'Cable WiFi' into your new WiFi router...

I know how land line DSL works (Broadband from a phone company) but I'm not so sure about cable DSL (broadband from a TV company).
          SHEMALE.CENTER
          World's Greatest Tgirl Cam Site.

Comment

Actually he should have a cable "modem" that is connected to the cable line which then has a network port for the computer or attaching a Wifi router.

Membership Levels
            The Rookie Thread

Comment

Over the years there is nothing that has given me more frustration and has cost me more lost hours than the installation and functioning of modems and routers.

Ever since the first 14.4 modems went on sale up till today when I recently bought my Belkin 'Share' Modem router.

These things were simply not designed to work 'out of the box' despite what you read on the box!

Good luck and have a computer wizz standing by!
              SHEMALE.CENTER

Comment

(Bumpa STIKKA @ Sep. 18 2010,22:24) Over the years there is nothing that has given me more frustration and has cost me more lost hours than the installation and functioning of modems and routers.

Good luck and have a computer wizz standing by!
                Then not for me. Think I will go the long cable route if it will fit under a closed door.

Comment

It's not really that difficult Pigdogg - dragging around a cable is not the most convenient thing to do.

Here is a good video that shows how to do it:

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/uN...en_US&border=1">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/uN...en_US&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405">

Also I am sure you can get help from other local bms in case you have problems.

Membership Levels
                  The Rookie Thread

Comment

"It's not really that difficult Pigdogg..."

Ha ha ha...

I'm no stranger to computers and I can eventually find a fix for almost any problem... but the hassles, frustrations, reboots and tears I wasted last month trying to kick-start my FUCKING Belkin router to work in my house was a nightmare.

Maybe it's just me... good luck!
                    SHEMALE.CENTER

Comment

I think what Bumpa is trying to say in a kindly roundabout way is " Khun PD, I know you are a fooking retard when it comes to tech so suggest you  keep it simple with the gadgets.    

Comment

Most of the brand name routers - Cisco (aka Linksys), Belkin, Netgear have a setup assistant to make it quite straightforward to setup. Here's another video that shows using the setup assistant:

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/sL...en_US&border=1">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/sL...en_US&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405">

Membership Levels
                        The Rookie Thread

Comment

Setting up a wireless router/network is not difficult  -  but the instructions some companies supply are poor and hard to follow.
                          I have often found a Google search turns up better instructions on forums/help sites.

The other problem that people fail to recognise is that the radio signals from the router reflect around the room.
                          Think of dropping a pebble into a small rectangular puddle and how the ripples travel and reflect.
                          This can cause dead spots in a room even when you are comparitively close to the router.
                          Moving the router by as little as 1-2 inches (2-5 cm) can change the signal reception completely.

Security on a properly set up Private wireless network is excellent and I have no hesitation in using mine for banking.
                          What most people forget is to password secure their router!
                          Security on Public networks varies from excellent to non-existant  -  never use one for banking transactions.

D-link seems to be one of the more widely sold brands in Thailand and I've set up one or two of them.
                          The instructions are pretty good and you can buy them in Tutcom for a reasonable price
                           -  some shops will send a guy along to set them up but I will guarantee he will forget to password the modem!

Note if your computer is an older one it will accept wireless standard 802.11b & 802.11g if it's newer it will accept 802.11n and/or 802.11n+.
                          I would suggest getting an 802.11n standard router as it will be backwards compatible with the b & g standards and means when you get a new computer you don't need to change it.
                          802.11n+ standard is also good but the internet in Thailand is mostly too slow to use the extra speed so it's probably a waste of money there.
                          (You may see 802.11a routers available at bargain prices  -  don't bother it's close to being obsolete).

Setup normally consists of plug in modem to electrics and computer.
                          Put CD into computer  -  follow instructions.
                          Spend 10 minutes trying to come up with password for network.......    
                          Forget where you put internet provider password........
                          Forget to password protect router access!
                          You're online!

RR.
                          Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                          Kahuna

Comment

As for security settings the only secure settings are WPA-2 personal AES

Do not use WEP as it can be hacked in 3 minutes. Also do not use WPA or WPA-2 TKIP €¦ as they are not as secure.

Comment

Working...
                            X