Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best NETBOOK to use for my Trip Reports?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best NETBOOK to use for my Trip Reports?

Hey all you Tech Gurus (hope there's more than just Snick on here) - I would like to purchase a netbook to bring with me to LOS for posting my 2011 Trip Report.

I'll want to load Google's Picassa program to manipulate my photos, which I'll be downloading from my brand new Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 (so new that it hasn't even arrived in the mail yet).

I'll want to have a wireless internet card of course, enough storage to handle editing the photos, resizing, etc.

I'll use google for my mail.

Pretty darn simple and straightforward. Let me know your recommendations.

I'm a Mac guy so go easy on me. I don't know the WINTEL world much. I must admit that the inability of my iPad to handle importing and manipulating photos is frustrating, as I originally thought this would be the perfect device for creating my Trip Reports. Now I have to buy a crappy damn Wintel Netbook just for this one application - creating a Trip Report.

Obviously I don't want to spend much $$$ as I already have an iMac, iPad, and Wintel desktop computer at my office. This little bastard will get used for my Trip Report, then filed away in my Thailand drawer along with my Thai Phone and Thai Bank Account Passbook, to be drawn out next trip but not used other than that.

OR: am I missing some other simple way of handling this without the purchase of a netbook? I can't very well load and manipulate photos on a rental computer at an internet shop, so I think I need to bring my own.
    Making newbie mistakes since 2009 so you don't have to

Here's what I'm considering buying from Costo.com. My trip isn't until January though, so I suppose I really ought to wait until the "after Christmas" sales to purchase something...

Does this give me some sort of wireless internet access, or do I have to buy an accessory card to do that? (Sorry for my stupidity...)

HannSpree HANNSbook
    SU4100 Dual Core 1.3GHz
    Carrying Case
    6-cell Battery
    3-in-1 Card Reader
    Multi-touch Touch Pad
    Item # 529691
    Rated
    (out of 4 reviews)
    Share this Product:
    $399.99
    Shipping & Handling included *

Processor & Memory:
    Intel® Pentium SU4100 Processor (1.3GHz) / 2MB L2 Cache / 800MHz FSB
    2GB DDR2 800MHz
    Drives:
    320GB (SATA)
    NO OPTICAL DRIVE INCLUDED
    Graphics & Video:
    Intel GMA4500MHD
    12.1€ LED HD Widescreen (16:9 Diagonal) Color Active Matrix TFT (Anti-Glare)
    1366 x 768 White LED
    Integrated 1.3MP
    Communications:
    10/100/1000 LAN
    802.11b/g/draft n
    Audio:
    2 Speakers, 1W x 2 (SRS Premium Sound)
    3-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS)
    Ports:
    3x USB 2.0 Ports
    HDMI
    VGA Port (Output resolution up to 1400x1050 @ 60Hz)
    RJ-45
    Headphone-Out
    Mic-In
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Power Supply:
    6-Cell Battery (5200mAh)
    Up to 6 Hours
    AC Adapter: Input: 100-240V (2.0A) 50~60Hz /Output: 19V/3.42A
    Additional Information:
    Kensington Slot Lock
    Chassis: Pearl Black
    Net Dimensions: 11.7€ (W) x 8.5€ (H) x 1.25€ (D) with Battery
    Net Weight; 3.4lbs.
    Package Contents:
    HannsBook
    Protective Jacket
    Power Cable (1.8m)
    AC Adapter
    Warranty Card
    Quick Guide
    Cleaning Cloth
    Driver DVD (Manual + Win XP + Win 7 Drivers + APs (SRS Premium Sound, Adobe Reader, WinRAR and Symantec NIS)
    [Model SN12E2]

Comment

Why not just write up your TR on your ipad and post it when you get home like many others do? Save yourself the money because the netbook won't see the light of day for another year?

Or if you travel enough.. get a macbook and sell the ipad?

Maybe I sound insensitive but its not the case at all. I do care!  But if I had to live my whole life based on how everyone might be sensitive to me.. I would not be living my life as I want it. So you can accept me and my flaws as I am or you can't.

Comment

Wait till black friday !

concentrate on battery life, memory.

(or next week's Apple announcement about new MacBook Air)
        "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

Black Friday it is then.

Jake I LOVE my iPad for it's simplicity and portability. I use it more than any other piece of technology excepting my iPhone. The only application I don't have covered between it, my iPhone, iMac, and office PC is portable photo manipulation for my trip reports.

I reject the idea of filing my trip reports after return as the quality and immediacy will suffer dramatically. That's a non-starter.

Comment

Oh okay. Snicks idea is good, also days after christmas too when stores look to firesale everything.

Maybe I sound insensitive but its not the case at all. I do care!  But if I had to live my whole life based on how everyone might be sensitive to me.. I would not be living my life as I want it. So you can accept me and my flaws as I am or you can't.

Comment

If you r going to run lightroom or photoshop, you'll need a little juice in your machine !
              But Picasa might be a good choice for a netbook.
              "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

ASUS Eee PC Seashell 1005PE-PU17-BK 10.1-Inch Black Netbook

Key Features

* Up to 14 hours of unplugged all-day computing to go further than ever before* (Learn more)
                   * ASUS Super Hybrid Engine (SHE) innovatively saves battery life and boosts performance (Learn more)
                   * Intel Atom N450 processor is now even more power efficient in combination with ASUS SHE
                   * 750GB Hybrid Storage for convenient storage on-the-go 250GB HDD + 500GB ASUS WebStorage** (Learn more)
                   * 10.1-inch LED-backlit Color-shine display uses less energy for longer use (Learn more)
                   * 92-percent full-size chiclet keyboard for a comfortable and precise typing experience (Learn more)
                   * Multi-touch trackpad for intuitive and quick control (Learn more)
                   * Stunning looks and convenient mobility with seashell design weighing a mere 2.8 lbs
                   * 1GB system memory (easily upgradable to 2GB)
                   * High speed Wi-Fi networking (802.11 b/g/n @ 2.4GHz) + Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR for wire-free mobility (Learn more)
                   * Windows 7 Starter for the most reliable and simplest Windows operating system to date (Learn more)
                   * Integrated webcam and digital microphone for video/voice conversations with your friends and family
                   * F9 easy recovery for convenient and easy system reinstallation (Learn more)
                   * Warranty: 1 year global warranty and 30-day Flawless Display Guarantee: If a single bright dot is found, a free panel replacement is guaranteed within 30 days of original purchase

Comment

Thaime, did you forget the part where you mention the price, and why this would be better at 2 inches less screen size and 1GB less memory than the unit I'm considering?

Comment

To be honest dt, I'm not a fan of netbooks! What is your actual price range? If its 300-500ish like that first netbook you posted.. Why not get a new or used former top of the line laptop that still works in your price range? You can do a whole lot more with it and not be stuck on it just isn't good enough.

I can help you locate one from a reliable site if you do concur with me.

Comment

(Snick @ Oct. 16 2010,10:00) concentrate on battery life, memory.
                      Good advice.... my netbook does not have adequate battery life  

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

My Mac book only has 8 - 9 hrs battery life

SW „¢
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/CT8982

Comment

Battery life isn't really an issue I'm concerned with. I'll normally be using my iPad for most portable computing apps.

This is really just to use for editing and manipulating photos in Picasa (resizing, labeling etc.) and perhaps to load GoToMyPC so I can access my office PeeCee and do some work while on the road.

Comment

I would agree with Jake_Sully's proposal. If your budget is 300-400 USD, getting a 2.2 GHz Core2 Duo pentium processor with similar specs to the Hanssbook, gets you an optical drive, possibly a dedicated video card (no shared memory) or a better performing video card (useful for photo editing not just games). I would at least have a look at some of the available models in that price range.

You will get better bang for your buck than getting a netbook going that route.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
                            Membership Levels
                            The Rookie Thread
                            New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
                            Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

I went for the ASUS 1005PE because of great battery life
                              It stays on 10 hours without wireless and about 7-8 hours straight with wireless.

You really don't need an optical drive, and a faster CPU and better memory card will suck more power.

and.. if you're a Mac guy, why don't you get yourself a mini Macbook?

Comment

Working...
                              X