X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing my head in...

Windows 7...So I downloaded a plug in for streaming music...right-clicked to always open that in iTunes...turns out is was software (exe ?) so now ALL my software has that file extension and I can't open any of them as normal. All the desktop icons for software have iTunes as the default open.

I have tried system restore but that seems to not work (it just hangs after 30 + mins...)

I can go to Programs and open each one individually (but some don't even show up on a search !!! but same story when I go back to the Desktop everything now has to open in that app )

There must be an easier way to reset the system to just open every app as intended I'm not an IT boffin so please bare with me

Please help  

Guy, Bumfuck Idaho  
    Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage

What was the exact name of the executable file? (.exe)

It maybe that your media files (songs, videos, etc) have been directed to open with this program.

If this is the case you can reset the 'default' program for your songs and videos.

If this isn't the case you can consider doing a 'System Restore' to get your computer back how it was before that program was installed...

Need more info!
    SHEMALE.CENTER
    World's Greatest Tgirl Cam Site.

Comment

After rereading your post i think a 'System Restore' is your only option!
      SHEMALE.CENTER

Comment

Thanks. But seems all media files are OK and open as I have defaulted...e.g iTunes, VLC etc... it's just the software and apps (exe ??) that are stuffed now. All default back to the last change I made... I've tried restore, but as I said it seems to just hang.. maybe I'll just have to try it again..and again Unless there's a simpler solution

Comment

Uninstall iTunes? That may do the trick.

You can always put it back again...
          SHEMALE.CENTER

Comment

Just did my 6th restore.. Now back to normal tho' I had to uninstall all antivirus. It all happened with a simple 'click' when all apps changed their extensions to .Ink for that thing I downloaded..

Pheeeew

Thanks for the support mate, just like being online with Bangalore

Comment

 < the way forward
              http://www.youtube.com/user/CT8982

Comment

Good to see you're all fixed up. These kinds of events are truly scary - especially if you have a life on your computer!
                SHEMALE.CENTER

Comment

You got that right ! Seems silly that a simple click can't so easily be undone..

Made me realise the importance of setting a restore point, regularly

Comment

Wow Guy! I just read this post and I am glad you back to normal! Looks like Bumpa had the same ideas I had about what to do. The only thing I would recommend is to pull the app. or program that caused the mess just to ensure that it doesn't happen again! After I had my programing glitch last year with my laptop I back up everything! I am glad that you got it under control and did not lose any data! 30 years ago a computer was just a distant idea for use now it runs our lives! All my crap goes on this thing! All my files for work all my music all my everything! Just scares me to think about your little problem! All the best!

Johnny
                    Seize the day because tomorrow is never promised!

Comment

Thanks JD    Yes I must admit that when some little glitch arises on my little laptop it does seem like the world stops..for a few hours anyway  

Yesterday I installed a Windows update for my display chip..then on restart I got a black screen, not blue, just couldn't see my desktop after log in..I rebooted and all OK again, but still... I have to say I never had these issues on Mac, but since I went for the more 'affordable' Windows machines (you can get an HP or Toshiba laptop for $500) I guess it's par for the course..

Backup restore save etc   Maybe Nike beat Gates to it when they came up with "Just Do It"  

Comment

Windows 7 does have an automatic backup - either to DVD or external hard drive. You just have to schedule it to activate. I have found that it is the best Windows OS yet. Very stable and easy recovery options if there are problems (which is rare). Glad you were able to sort out the previous problem.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
                        Membership Levels
                        The Rookie Thread
                        New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
                        Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Working...
                        X