X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer problems :(

I have been trying to sort out this problem for a week now, with no success.

When I put a disk into my laptop, you can here it spinning away inside, but nothing happens.

The box that usually opens, with options on what you want to open or view the contents of the disk with, doesn't open.

And when I went into My Computer, there is no icon there for that drive, just my hard disk, SD card slot and memory stick.

Then when I click on organize on the top left corner, and click properties and then click device manager and in the list of devices, there is an attention sign beside my DVD/CD-ROM drives.

When I click on it, this comes up............

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

And when I click it, it just says "could not load driver software"

PS this laptop is only new and is running windows vista, I tried my support from the manufacturer and it totally sucks.

I never thought about posting here until I read a few minutes ago someone asking for pics of a certain lb, I have pics saved on disk of that certain lb from my old laptop, but cant get them on to my new one cause of this problem.

If any computer buff can tell me how to fix this, I promise to post a few pics of that certain lb from my last trip (what a bribe)

Cheers

sorry I took my time, I couldn't find the bookmark (it was in FireFox for some odd reason)

have a look here:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows....33.mspx
    I've made kathylc  

Comment

I am guessing you have photos burned to a CD or a DVD disk. Have you tried this disk in another computer? Does it work?

Have you tried reading any other CD or DVD in the new laptop drive?

Some more information is necessary to find a possible answer to your problem.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
      Membership Levels
      The Rookie Thread
      New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
      Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

I have tried one of my photo disks in another computer, and it worked fine.

I tried all sorts of disks in my laptop from dvds to music cds, and none worked

Comment

Has this problem happened from the very beginning with your new laptop? If so it might be a defective optical drive and require replacement under warranty.

Membership Levels
          The Rookie Thread

Comment

One thing you can try - use your hardware manager and remove the drive from the hardware profile. Restart your computer and then run the add hardware wizard. Hopefully it can detect the drive and re-install the driver and wipe out the corrupt one. Good luck!

Membership Levels
            The Rookie Thread

Comment

No, it worked fine from the start.

Just last week, I tried a disk in it and it wouldn't work, but worked fine when I first got it in early december.

Comment

(rxpharm @ Jan. 06 2008,16:37) Hopefully it can detect the drive and re-install the driver and wipe out the corrupt one. Good luck!
                One thing I'd like to add to that is if doesn't work you could try an older version.

My graphics card won't run an online game I sometimes play with new drivers and they recommend the latest versions so I am using a 2006 version, also my wireless connection keeps dropping if I use the correct drivers so have to use a different models drivers.

Everything was fine til late Nov/early Dec when something updated with a major change which fucked everything up. Never found out what it was so I couldn't roll-back the update.
                I've made kathylc  

Comment

(rxpharm @ Jan. 07 2008,00:37) One thing you can try - use your hardware manager and remove the drive from the hardware profile. Restart your computer and then run the add hardware wizard. Hopefully it can detect the drive and re-install the driver and wipe out the corrupt one. Good luck!
                  I tried exactly that just now, and It didn't work  

It said this............

Device driver software was not successfully installed

Please consult with your device manufacturer for assistance getting this device installed.

QSI DVD-RAM SDW-086 ATA Device      Failed

Comment

these guys had the same problems, looks like they solved it:

http://www.forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?p=1315761

WARNING: don't mess about with the registry if you're not 100% sure what you are doing
                    I've made kathylc  

Comment

Did you do an update with Apple Quicktime player on your computer? If so that might have caused the problem.

If you have ever edited your registry, this may be the solution:

Using Registry Editor

If updating the driver does not resolve the problem, it indicates that there is a problem in the registry. To fix this problem, you may have to remove a few keys from the registry.

Note: Be careful while working with the registry editor because changes done to the registry using the Registry Editor are irreversible and mistakes can leave you with more problems than when you started. Therefore, it is recommended that you make a backup of the registry before proceeding with the changes.

After you have removed the registry keys listed below, you will have to reinstall all applications that you use for CD or DVD recording to make them work properly.

To fix the error by editing the registry, perform the following steps:

Exit and close all applications currently running on your PC.
                      On Start > Run type Regedit and press the Enter key.
                      Next, navigate to the following registry key:
                      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
                      Delete any of the following registry entries if they exist under this key:
                      LowerFilters
                      LowerFilters.bak
                      UpperFilters
                      UpperFilters.bak
                      Restart your PC and open My Computer to ensure that the CD-ROM drive is visible.
                      Also, open the Device Manager again to ensure that the yellow exclamation mark and the error code is now gone.
                      Restart your PC and open My Computer to ensure that the CD-ROM drive is visible.
                      Also, open the Device Manager again to ensure that the yellow exclamation mark and the error code is now gone.
                      Make sure you know how to back up and restore your registry before you make any changes!

Membership Levels
                      The Rookie Thread

Comment

the problem is Vista can't use your DVD Rom because of a device driver problem.

This is a problem with your laptop manufacturer. They need to provide you with a driver.

What I do in Windows XP is delete the device, and then let windows find it as something new. This usually works, not always. And I never tried it in Vista
                        1) Open Device Manager
                        Right click My Computer, and select Manage. Then, from the Computer Management window, select Device Manager.
                        2) Look for the DVD Drive, it probably has has "?" next to it
                        3) Highlight it, and delete it
                        4) Reboot

Now vista will rediscover the DVD Drive,
                        This might now work. So if you are nervous, don't try it, and contact your manufacturer instead.
                        This is a technique that usually works.
                        "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

I bought a new PC myself last Christmas, it worked fine for a week too and then went down

I just took it back to Curry's and they replaced it with a "new" one right away, never had any problems since
                          Your got yer Mother in a whirl
                          Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

Was going to buy it in Pc world which is actually owned by a UK company called DSG that also own Curry's and Dixons, so it makes it alot easier for them to do price fixing.

I bought mine direct from the manufacturer   which I now regret.

I tried all of the above without joy, except for editing the registry.

Dont know enough about computers to try that.

Comment

I had the same problem with a new laptop!
                              I went into the windows media centre, and
                              select which operation you want, and it work's
                              perfect now!! Hope it help's?
                              If she aint got a dick, she's just a chick!  

Comment

Working...
                              X