X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recharging A Thai Mobile In The USA

I want my Thai mobile phone to work when I land at the airport in Thailand.  My baht has not expired.

1) I can recharge the my Thai phone at home in the USA despite the different current/voltage?  I'm pretty sure I've done this in the past and I'm OK.

So.........

2) I can't find the chrging plug for my Thai phone.  But the Nokia charger for my American phone also fits into my Thai Nokia phone.   Does this present a problem?

and

3) Can I use that same American Nokia charger to charge my Thai Nokia in the LOS?

Thanks.  

You'll not have any problems. The Thai chargers work just fine in the US. Snick?

Comment

Pigdogg, your US Nokia charger will be able to charge your Thai Nokia phone, no problems.

However, check your US charger and make sure it says it can handle 110/220 volts before taking it to Thailand. If it is 110 only it will fry when you plug it into the Thai power sockets.

This is no big deal, as you can buy a generic replacement charger for a couple of hundred Baht - you can even buy one that is 110/220 V so you can use it in the US on return. I did for my Motorola mobile so I could charge it in Canada when I visited my family in July.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
      Membership Levels
      The Rookie Thread
      New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
      Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

(stogie bear @ Aug. 18 2007,08:42) The Thai chargers work just fine in the US.
        Thanks guys.    

For clarity what I'm talking about is using an American charger with a Thai phone.

My Charger

If it's called a *travel charger* so I *assume*it's good anywhere in the world.

They list the Nokia phones it's compatible with.  However the dickfaces at Nokia didn't bother to put the model number on either of my phones.

Not everyone neatly organizes theuir user manuals etc.

Sometimes I wish there was a fire in my partment that destroyed everything I own.  Then I could start fresh without clutter.  It'll be nice when I'm in Thailand and free of most of my stuff.

Comment

pigdogg - is there anywhere on the charger that lists specifications like voltage and amps?

I did a google search and no place has the specs listed for that charger.

Don't assume that because it is a "travel charger" that means it is 110/220 volts.

It will charge your Thai mobile without issues in the US, but if you are not sure what the voltage is, just buy a generic charger in Thailand that is 110/220 Volts, and give away the US charger, or keep it as a spare to use at the office.

Membership Levels
          The Rookie Thread

Comment

Black on black print very hard to read Rx. Even when shining a fladhlight on it!!

Looks like it reads:

120 VAC
            3.7 VDC

120? I'd figure it should read 110 if alternating?

And 3.7????/

Comment

The charger converts AC (alternating) to DC (direct current),
              if the charger says 110 or 120 then you can only use it in USA
              ( but I find that strange, I have never seen a Nokia charger that is not 110-220 )

If its not a Nokia brand charger, then you have to make sure the DC voltage is also corret, it should be 5v, but not 100% sure on that.
              "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

ok, it will not work in Thailand as it is only 120 V (close enough to 110). If you plug it into a Thai power outlet it will fry.

It sounds like the output is 3.7 Volts DC.

Don't worry, just fully charge your Thai mobile before your trip, turn it off after it is fully charged and it will work when you turn it on when you reach LOS. Then when you are in Pattaya just head over to one of the cheap mobile shops and pick up one of the universal chargers for the phone that is 110/220 Volts and you are set!

Membership Levels
                The Rookie Thread

Comment

I had or have 2 Siemens ,1 Samsung and at least 2 Nokia mobiles as..2 laptops Hp and Sony as 2 digi cams...all charger working worldwide....all are 110/220 volt....50/60Hz

Of course my Braun razor...too

Don't see any problems

Dieter
                  Ladyboy Pro....A Bigger Bang

Comment

For the standard ACP-7U charger with the two flat blades you definitely need a 110-130 volt input. Connecting it directly to 220 volts or more will fry the charger. The ACP-8U or ACP-12U works US or Europe. (100-240/50-60Hz).

There are 2 types of power adapter designs in use these days. The first type uses only an iron core wire wound transformer. This type of AC adapter can only work with a specific voltage input that the primary windings of the transformer were designed around. This type of adapter will feel heavy since it€™s got an iron core.

The second type is known as a switching power supply. It uses double power conversion allowing it to take a wide range of input voltages€¦ 100 €“ 250 vac. The first stage converts the AC into DC€¦ the DC powers a pulse width modulator IC (PWM) that controls an oscillator the generates a high frequency AC that€™s fed into a small transformer€¦ the output of the transformer is then rectified into the output DC. The output voltage DC is fed back into the PWM creating a feed back loop that regulates the output DC. The type of adapter will feel much lighter then the transformer type.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys!

I'll charge up my phone here in New York so it works on day 1 at the airport.

Then buy a new or used charger at Tuk Com in Pattaya.

Comment

Chargers are cheap to buy in Thailand...

(Test post!)

Comment

I have Nokias...Thai I bought there and US...use the chargers interchangeably when I am there or here, switch out SIM cards. Never had a problem using the US chargers in Thailand, never had a problem using the Thai charger here in the US. No overheating, nothing.

Comment

Working...
                          X