X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop memory question

I know this isn't technically a technical question about the site, but I thought some serious geeks here might could help answer my questions.

I have an HP Pavilion dv8000 laptop.
    It has two 512k memory chips for a total of 1GB.
    I want to upgrade it, but the technical info I can find for this laptop only recommends a maximum of 2 GB, two 1GB chips in each slot.

2GB chips are available, so my question is, what would happen if I put two 2GB chips in it for a total of 4GB?

Is it going to melt? Not work? Work fine?? Invert the laws of time and space?

Hi,

I suppose it wouldn't work. 4GB just can't be recognized.
    Moreover, assuming you are using Windows XP on the laptop, Windows can't work with more than 3GB anyway. 2GB seems a good soltion for a Windows PC, I am doing it myself and I am happy with it.
    Hope I could help.

Cheers

Comment

2 Gigs is all you should need. 1 Gig will run Vista OK at a pinch so long as you don't do more than two things at once! If you want 4 Gigs then take your computer and test it in the shop. If it works then get it, if not then stick with 2 X 1 Gig sticks.

It's possible that your computer motherboard won't recognise this much memory and it's also possible that you can upgrade your motherboard so that it will!

Unless you are doing some big bollocks video editing then you almost certainly won't notice the difference between 2 and 4 Gigs...

Comment

I do a LOT of Photoshop processing camera RAW images.

And I'm just starting to get into video editing.

Comment

I bought my GF an HP Pavilion dv6200 laptop running Vista Home Premium where I have replaced the memory that which came in the machine with two 1 GB memory chips for a total of 2GB.
          I was so impressed with that machine that I purchased the HP Pavilion dv9260 for myself, running Vista Ultimate which came with two 1 GB memory chips for a total of 2GB - I investigated if I could double up and the reply was, no you can't but why would you want to?
          Both machines work fine, I am looking to see if I can upgrade the graphics cards and I believe that I can, but I will wait until next year when the price drops.
          The 9260 is the fastest machine I have ever had and the speed and graphics are superb. My only complaint is with Vista - I should have waited until Service Pack One had been issued - I find lots of compatibility problems and lots of Blue Screens & re-boots - but at least the recovery process is faster than it was with XP.
          Having been a Dell User for many years I am extremely impressed with both these HP models and the current HP line generally. The wireless connectivity is a dream in most areas of the world and the built in camera is great for instant video conferencing and similar pastimes.

Comment

Some laptops have a HARD limit on memory, it simply won't recognize more than xxxx.
            From what I can see on the internet, 2GB is the HARD limit for you
            ( http://www.memory-up.com/memory_....dFG-gDg )

I do suggest 2x1GB for memory, not 1x2GB. You usually get better performance that way.

A more extreme upgrade would be to replace the HD with a faster model, But that can be a bitch and will probably cut down on battery life.
            "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

One other tweek - which applies more to desktops than laptops - is to ensure the video card has as much memory as it can take and you have the latest software drivers installed for it.

RR.
              Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
              Kahuna

Comment

Thanks guys. I guess I'll be OK with 2GB.

I just wanted to "maxorz out".

I have to say I too have been very happy and very impressed with this model. It is the AMD Turion 64 bit processor, and it varies the chip speed to meet need or battery life when need is low.

Comment

Grunyen, your particular model has a maximum capacity of 2 GB of RAM. You will have to replace the existing 2 x 512 MB sticks with 2 x 1 MB sticks. 1 place I highly recommend for buying ram is Crucial. The website is here: Crucial Memory Experts

I have purchased my memory upgrades from them - high quality and less expensive than OEM ram from HP.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
                  Membership Levels
                  The Rookie Thread
                  New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
                  Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Thanks Rx.

I usually shop around either NewEgg, Pricewatch, or Salescircular.com (which shows you all the local sales flyer prices in your area). I never buy OEM from the manufacturer.

I will check out Crucial too when I am ready to buy.

Comment

Working...
                    X