X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i save old #'s on new sim card?

so last trip to LOS i bought a cheap cell, got my sim card and orange/dtk whatever minutes and over the three weeks gathered all my ATF #'s and a few practical ones as well. but now, six months later i'm going back and i'll need - i think?- a new sim card which will give me - i think? - a new phone # so will i lose all the old #'s i had stored in the phone?
    i COULD take twenty minutes and write them all down and then take forty minutes and painstakingly punch them in again...
    but will i have to?

honey if you save your contacts on the phone memory its would be easy for you to copy and paste the contacts that you have on your previous phone system only if you change sim card. but if you change phone on your trip to thailand since some phone dont work outside thier country you would just probably copy and paste the contact details on you old phone which some contacts you save is in your phone memory but if it is stored on the sim card memory then you have to ask for some number again

well prepaid sim card (since we use them if we travel outside the country) would expired or get disconnected on the system if not used for one month already or not reloaded with credit
    sexy,filthy,rich its good to be snejana

Comment

Like Minnie says - copy your contacts and other info like texts and drafts etc to your mobiles INTERNAL memory. Then when you put in a new SIM card you can copy them all back. If you are doing this in Thailand at MBK they will take care of all this for free when you buy something.

I'll move this to the Tech forum in a couple of days!

Comment

Thaibound,

if you had credit left on the old SIM, you might find its still active, mine stay active for about 11 months once charged with about 500baht just before departure, but will see what happens as I stage thru' BKK tomorrow.
        Robin

You pays your money & takes your chance. This isn't a rehearsal do it now, it's no good looking back when it's a lover & wishing.... ITS TOO LATE.

Comment

You don't need to copy and paste. If you buy a Nokia, just set it to "use phone memory". No need to copy to SIM. If you want them secret, then when you go home, "use SIM memory" and no one can see them. I notice not all phones have this feature, but if you want to be really safe, buy a cheap Nokia at MBK that has it, and just use that phone for LBs and your home phone for home stuff.

Comment

Does not make a diffrence if the sim card is active or not, your stored information is still there.

Simply put in the sim card in your phone - wherever you are - wait for it to tell you only emergency calls. Then just access your saved data.
            Only thing with old sim cards is that they dont allow you to make calls they dont erase stored information.

Nokia or Sony Ericsson is fairly easy to copy from one sim card to another or to the internal memory of your phone.

Comment

thanks one and all.
              i return bkk tuesday and will first turn on my old phone and see what's what (thanks robin). failing that i'll hit mbk and have them help me out. it is an old nokia (thanks for the tip ziggy), so maybe it'll all be good. the only hitch is last year i bought a siemens at mbk, it broke the next day and when i returned everyone denied selling it to me. it was in phuket that i picked up the cheap nokia which works just fine.
              i guess mbk can do the new sim card with old phone #'s trick without screwing up.
              since i'm a devout techknownothing i'll have to risk it.
              then again, erasing all those numbers will just force me to discover new unforgettably beautiful ladyboys to fill my memory.
              and my memories.

Comment

Comment

If your phone numbers are stored on the SIM Card. You can get a simple sim card reader writer. They cost about $20 USD. It will allow you to open the data in it, back it up, restore it to another SIM and so on.

tigerdirect.ca sells them, but they are in Canada.

Comment

just to summarize what everyone else said

1) copy sim to phone memory - now the numbers are stored on the phone, not the sim. Only works if the phone has internal memory, most made in the last 3 years do. ( no need to copy to new sim, but you could )

2) get a sim card reader - read from old phone to computer, then write to new sim card
                    2a) Get someone at MBK to do this for you

3) Synchronize with a computer - you might need to buy USB cables for this, if your phone has bluetooth you can sync that way but its a bit more complicated and you need to have buetooth on your PC/Laptop as well
                    "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

Working...
                    X