X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore hotel for NON monger?

I've searched the forum (!) and most (if not all) the info is for mongers or even LBs commuting to Singapore.

If there are any regulars or residents out there who can recommend a nice hotel I'd appreciate your knowledge.

I'm planning to visit for the first time during the first week of October.

Ideally the hotel will be a three or four star, clean hotel, near a tube station.

Also - any advice on what to do and see would be welcomed... I do intend to drag poor Olay to orchard towers just once, just to say that I've been!

Foggy recommended a hotel in China town... I have also looked at The Copthorne Orchid Hotel and The (newly renamed) Concorde Hotel Singapore.

Cheers...

Stogie, all high-class hotels in Singapore accept P4P companions.
    But the activity is not "in your face", as everywhere in Asia except Thailand (and Bantan, lol).

You're lucky with your timing, Singapore hotels have lost a lot of guests (business travelers) due to the recession that has hit Singapore very hard.

So you should find nice bargains!
    I can recommend the Pan Pacific and the Conrad, but there are plenty of other nice hotels.
    For Singapore, tripadvisor.com can be trusted.

What's your budget?

Comment

(manarak @ Jun. 01 2009,16:44) Stogie, all high-class hotels in Singapore accept P4P companions...
      Well, I'm sure that someone will find that nugget of information useful, but as the title of the thread says...

NON monger!

I'll be traveling with Olay and doing the touristy thing... (which for me will include a quick diversion into Orchard Towers!)

I'm looking to pay up to $150 a night for a hotel, but I have seen a few that look good in the $100 range, too.

I tried the packages on AirAsia.com but the web site isn't taking bookings at the moment.

Comment

About the P4P, I just wanted to say that this question is a non-issue in Singapore, since it is ok everywhere. Thus, it will be difficult to find a hotel exclusively for non-mongers, i.e. P4P guests forbidden.

If you got 150 USD, then spend the 160 USD for the Pan Pacific, it is REALLY NICE. Because of the economy, the price is slashed, normally that one costs more than 260 USD on corporate rate (before I lost the job, that is).
        It is a 5 star top-class hotel, and all rooms have recently been renovated. Pure luxury there.
        Plus, I think the Pan Pacific sits directly on an MRT station.

Then there is the Grand Copthorne Watrerfront Hotel at Clarke Quai.
        I mention this one because they seem to have quite a discount going on, their rooms are at only 109 USD.

P.S.
        Plus, booking through my website gets you a free beer per night you booked!
        (in Guess or another venue where I can have a ladyboy on my lap).

Comment

I stayed at The Royal on Newton back in Dec. 2007 with my regular lb. Booked through Agoda at 100 USD/night. Good location only 5 min. walk from the Novena MRT or 10 min from Newton MRT stations. The service was great when I was there and the rooms were refurbished this year.

Probably not many if any mongers as it is not near the typical p4p areas.

Check Agoda as there are some specials on now.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
          Membership Levels
          The Rookie Thread
          New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
          Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Thanks for the tips so far.

I may have given the wrong impression. I'm not going out of my way to avoid mongers and monger hot spots. I just want to confine the recommendations to spots that haven't already been listed on other threads!

Will check out Pan Pacific and The Royal... and Agoda!

Comment

Hi Stogie,

I have used http://www.wotif.com for all bookings for years now. They generally have a few red hot deals at the right price, and a wide selection. (And they are reputable. In over 75 bookings I have never had the slightest problem.)
              The Robertson Hotel at Robertson Quay is good and central for China Town and also Clarke Quay. I stuck me good old mum there and she was happy enough. Renovated in the last year. I THINK they might be building next door however... Not sure, as I haven't been back to Sing-lah-pore for a while. http://www.robertsonquayhotel.com.sg/. Ask one of the BM's who lives near UE square if they are building next door.

A note to the the gormet: Myself and several others in my company have had issues at Boat Quay Resturants with double charging on credit cards (even with me using a local bank visa card! Sirry iriots...). Carry cash. Also watch out for the old Lobster and Fish at seasonal prices on Boat Quay. A Kiwi mate of mine was charged 750 Sing Dollars for a 2.5 kg lobster! Like Thailand they are supposed to have the price on the menu....

Enjoy lah!
              f0xxee

"Spelling - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."

Comment

Pan Pacific Singapore (the one in Marina Bay) is sooooo nice! The best hotel I've stayed at! They even have music in their pool, like underwater. But it's the lame saxophone-elevator-rich-man-booooring-music Have no clue about PP Orchard, but the one in Marina Bay is sweet.

There's often free concerts outside Esplanade - Theatres on the bay, so if you just want a quiet evening you can just step outside of your hotel for a free concert. If you're staying in Marina Bay area that is. I'm not shure how often there's concerts here (I didn't really bother going to one), but I think it was like every saturday and sunday. Not shure about though.

Eating seafood on the river in Clarke Quay (I'm not a native English speaker, but how can this be pronounced 'key'?) is nice.

Going for a drink or meal at 70th floor of Swissotel The Stamford. Dress sharp. After 9 pm you can only enter with long pants. If you plan on hitting New Asia bar on 71st floor dress SHARP, like your best suit and an evening gown.

If you're people of the night, go to the night safari. Every lb I've been with in Sg wanted to go there. If you go early, the place will be packed with tourists. If you get there the last two hours it's open, you will get much more privacy. Can be good to go late, and get on the last tour, if your lb is shy.

Go to Raffles hotel for one drink and throw peanuts.

Go to Sentosa. Especially if the weather is good. Oooh, a stroll in Fort Canning Park is also nice, if the weather permits it.

China town is worth a couple of hours. But weren't you recently in China? I've never been in little India, but I've been too much in real India.

See the Fountain of Wealth and the romantic(lame) laser show. Write a romatic message for Olay for the laser show. Thr show is between 8 and 9 pm.

Shop! Electronics are generally cheaper there than in Thailand, and you get the VAT refund. I think electronics is cheaper here than Thailand. At least I've found dive computers and mp3 players to be cheaper there, than in LOS.

And when you're sick of all the 'niceness' that is Singapore, head over to Geylang and look at people crawling in their own womit. But if you think bill padding is bad in LOS don't bar hop in this area. Did it one time extremely drunk. One of the things I remember is paying 100$ for two shots of tequila. I might add that I ended that night by sleeping on a beach

That's about what I can say from the top of my head. I know some people talk shit about Singapore(not aimed at anyone here), but I've always had a good time there. A lot of friendly people there.

Comment

Gold dust. Thanks!

Comment

Night safari is awesome..

http://www.nightsafari.com.sg/

Also a trip across the boarder into Malaysia can be fun
                    seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

Stogie take a look at www.otelrooms.com its the same group as www.thaihoteldiscounts.com

I've done quite a few bookings with Otel and their prices are hard to beat, the other option is when you get to Sinagpore there is a hotel booking desk at the airport, you can get some very good discounted hotels there

Comment

You will want to be near a MRT (tube) Station and walking distance from something interesting. My suggestion is just go for somewhere on Orchard or otherwise consider around Bugis Junction. Both are on MRT stops and the whole city is just a quick tube ride away. Personally I would not suggest Marina area (i.e. pan Pacific hotel) - for one, its business district - nothing of much interest around there and in my opinion the hotels while OK are actually not that good and you feel like your in an airport check in area the whole time(and I have stayed countless times at the Pan Pacific). The exception is the Ritz Carlton but I doubt that would be at your budget. Dont get me wrong all the hotels are nice but they are boring and getting cabs can be a nightmare in that area. Same with the area around Clarke Quay - its full of Chinese tourists as nobody else will stay there. Just stick with either Orchard Road or Bugis. In Orchard, you have heaps and heaps of hotels. Personal faves of mine are the Holiday Inn Park View (Cheap, typical Holiday Inn standard), but very central. otherwise any of the hotels up around North Orchard (such as the Orchard Parade - a nice and under rated hotel) however apart from orchard Towers not a lot in the immediate area apart from starbucks and hi-end shopping malls, but the pool area is nice and tropical. Royal Plaza on Scotts Road is a nice and under priced hotel.

Intercon at Bugis is very very nice hotel - not actually that expensive and loads to do around it. very 5* but not always 5* prices if you pick up a good deal.

Just thought of another one and not even sure its still even open but the Berjaya Hotel was a great place to stay when I was there - cheap and very old fashioned. Its like a 4* hotel but really 3* with a colonial eccentricity to it. I half expected to see an old teasmade machine when I went into the room. Its like an old style in the UK - The reception is a window but the food in the restaurant is truly excellent (or at least was for sure the best breakfast, which was cooked to order I have ever had in a hotel in Asia). if you want to experience old style Singapore in shophouses this would be a good choice. Its not that ideally located - but only couple minutes walk from MRT station. It is however very different and not your typical Singaporean hotel as its in a row of shophouses but converted way way before it became trendy - you could almost expect Lurch and Cruella to greet you as you walk in

Having said all this - I have lost touch with prices these days - these are the places I would choose to stay out of choice - however going in October, you should expect the hotels to be busy - the market is not as soft as people are suggesting - good hotels will be heavily booked for the simple reason its the busiest convention month of the year.

Cheers
                        mardhi

Comment

All good info. I would just add that the night safari is great. About S$ 20. Agree you should go on the last one of the night.

Flying there, only Tiger goes to the low-cost-carrier terminal. The rest go to Changi proper.

Also, there is a travel agency in the Emporium (3rd floor) called TV Air Bookings that sometimes has good package deals (hotel and air) to Singapore. They have some listed here - TV Air Bookings - but probably best to just stop in there and see what they have, rather than calling them. In my experience, TV uses TG and SQ for air so it might be cheaper to go with AirAsia or Jetstar or Tiger then book your own hotel.

And I suggest that you stay with Olay throughout the immigration entry (i.e. go to the counter together, not 1-by-1).

P.S. There is a smoking hot little number working at TV Air named Nok. She is a solid 10! If you make her laugh, she will cover her mouth and have the cutest blush! I'd give my left nut to shag her.

Comment

I'm with Mardhi on his input. Pan pac is a nice place, but not particularly central. A hotel around Orchard road should be your first scan. Meritus Mandarin, Hilton (a bit up towards the top). Goodwood. Orchard Hotel. All interesting choices.

Some other interesting choices include the M hotel, and Naumi hotel.

Things to see and do:
                            BUsiness district and boat quay - Lau pau sat is a local hawker center with interesting food, boat quay is the tourist hotspot, but expect to be charged double for normal food,

Clarke Quay / robertson quay - restaurants / bars / clubs - in my opinon better value for the buck

Orchard Road - shopping and more shopping
                            Suntec City area - Shopping and more shopping, Balaclavas is a nice enough local meat market (read bar)

Esplanade / waterfront - miniture merlion, maybe take in a show. Has some nice restaurants as well.

Chijmes is a converted nunnery with restaurants and what not.

Newton hawker centre is the place for late night eats

Things to see: Botanical gardens will take up a day (but it's damn hot). There's a nice orchid garden in the middle of it.

Singapore Zoo / Night Safari. The Bird Park is also quite nice. I've taken a lb friend there. There's also Sentosa island as a nice place to visit. There's underwater world, a dolphin show and all sorts of trouble to get into.

Comment

(kleetora @ Jun. 03 2009,08:08) I'm with Mardhi on his input. Pan pac is a nice place,  but not particularly central. A hotel around Orchard road should be your first scan.
                              That would be my vote, too. Forget the Copthorne, whatever you do. The location is awful. It may be centrally located, but almost nowhere in Singapore is very far from anywhere else. That area is a dreary wasteland of concrete and office blocks.

Try the Marriott, right on the corner of Orchard and Scotts. There's not a better location in town. You fall right out the front door into the tube and everywhere else you want to be. Their rates jump up and down, but sometimes you can find a bargain online.

The best hotel in Singapore isn't in the Orchard area, however, and it's not Raffles. It's the Fullerton Hotel, right on the Singapore River on the edge of the business district. A stunning conversion of the old GPO building into one of the most romantic and elegant hotels in the world. Sometimes there are good bargains there as well, especially on weekends, but whatever you pay it would be worth it. She'll love and honour you forever.

Comment

Working...
                              X