X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settling in Bermuda

Just curious if anyone here has ever lived in Bermuda or checked the cost of living for same?

I am interested..... the thought of only going 3 hours instead of 30 to have a long holiday seems intriguing to me, and they have good weather most of the year.   If I can do the same stuff as in Asia, IE; lay around and do not much of anything.......but do it for around the same price as Asia and only be a 3-hour flight from family and friends, I may start considering that next season.

*Sorry,  this is not a  sex-related thread; I am simply looking for a  1-bedroom furnished home with all mod cons, A/C, near a beach, and how much something like that would cost per month along with food and other expenses?  

Other northern Caribbean places, please chime in! But NOT Jamaica!!!

Thanks
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Looked at Craig's List, Caribean Islands, searched for housing / Bermuda.

Lots of listings.

DANNO
    You no care me DIE !!!

Comment

Thanks Danno, I've been there and also Thorn Tree on the lonely planet website and a few other ex-pat websites for the Caribbean ....but have yet to find out the true ''cost of living'' for *everything* included in say a typical month, and where to live, etc.........

Remember we had an old poster on this board from NYC, a lawyer who ended up moving to Bermuda and loved it......I'd like to talk to him or someone like him to get the lowdown on what it's like to live there. I'm going to sign up for a couple message boards from that area and PM a couple regulars.

St Thomas is another possibility.....but been there once and it was way too much like America ....just tossing some idea's around for the next few winters to come, the idea of being only a few hours away from a home base appeals to me.

Comment

I get the impression that Bermuda is expensive and best for people who are working there. But this is just an impression as I've never been there.

I like St John, much different and much nicer than St Thomas.

Comment

I spent many years working with various cruise lines all over the world. Having done two seasons on the NY- Bermuda route I can tell you that Bermuda is one of the most expensive places I've visited. We often arranged our own parties events for the staff and crew because of the expensive costs of restaurants and bars etc. Eating out and a few drinks leaves little change from $100 US.  Customs and Immigration are a nightmare also. Each time you enter you need to log an inventory of your valuables, cameras, ipods etc.
          A beautiful Island, but I never could keep a straight face when I saw the businessmen walking around in a shirt , tie and brightly coloured Bermuda shorts with matching knee length socks!

St. Thomas would be a better option, but it still ain't cheap, and there is a big crime/drugs problem around Charlotte Amalie. I wouldn't go out there after dark!

My preference would be Cozumel or Cancun Mexico. Still not much LB action though!

Comment

Thanks for the rundown!

My only time there [a brief 8 hours] was on a cruise liner also.....we stopped there for the day and took those small mopeds around, that was fun and the beaches and scenery was nice; that was in 2007 and I always filed it away as a place I'd like to see again.

but 100 bucks to eat dinner?  

Hell, I can eat well with 4 people in Thailand for 15.

I figured it would be American prices there.... same as St Thomas and St John; not a big fan of Cancun, been there 2 times now and it's just OK.....  Jamaica;  I wouldn't live there if it were FREE!!

Just looking for options is all,  been doing the Asia thing for 12 years now and the flights never get easier, and if all I am going to be doing is lying around and relaxing then there must be somewhere closer to home to do that;  problem is they are not as cheap!

Cuba??   Puerto Rico??  {Gasp} Dominican Republic??  

Comment

JD, a couple of acquaintances have bought property in Costa Rica with the intent of retiring there. One of the biggest challenges looking for a low cost tropical retirement country has to be access to good health care. With the new Boeing 787s coming in service soon the flights to Asia will be much improved, so don't rule it out yet.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
              Membership Levels
              The Rookie Thread
              New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
              Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Oh, I haven't  RX..... I still love Asia and you can't beat it for overall cheapness as well as weather and food, nightlife, etc..... I can easily live in Thailand for 50-60K baht per month or less than 2K US;  try that elsewhere in the world and it's not easy.

{Fact is my bills back in the states will be even more than what I will pay to live abroad for at least another 5 years anyway}

I am just researching other options is all ...... the ''newness''  factor of Asia has come and gone long ago and I oftentimes say to myself "can't I do this same shit closer to home''?  I'd also love to jump on a plane and be home in 3 or 4 hours rather than a day and a half each way and then jet lagging and feeling like garbage for 3 or 4 days afterwards.

Costa Rica has come into my mind, Panama also......both are super-cheap and I can read and speak high school level Espanol, so that would be helpful.... my pal Roberto  from Boston retired to a beach in the southern Dominican Republic 6 or 7 years ago and swears by it, could be time for me to pay him a visit and check out that place as well.

Comment

I'd go for Panama if I were you.
                  Good nightlife options and cheap life, nice beaches.

I couldn't do it because the sound of spanish language irritates the hell out of me and because I think their girls are ugly, save for a few.

Comment

I've also heard that Bermuda is pretty high end as well.

Good reports about Panama too & one or 2 people have mentioned St Martin (French side) as being special, can't vouch personally but I trust their judgement.

So I guess I have to say that if we are as far south as Panama I have to include, believe it or not, Columbia on the new watch list: very cheap, beautiful historic cities, beautiful women, cheap housing & they seem to have gotten a handle on the crime situation in the last 5 years or so.

Comment

Cozumel is much nicer than Cancun, been there twice on vacation and liked it. But no idea what living there would be like.
                      Costa Rica, Panama, and Belize are also options.

Of course the cheapest place would be Haiti, I hear land in port au prince is very affordable right now.
                      "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

(Snick @ Feb. 11 2010,12:08) Of course the cheapest place would be Haiti, I hear land in port au prince is very affordable right now.
                        If he thinks Jamaica€™s bad you can cross Haiti off the list€¦ and that was before the 7.3 Quake!!!

Comment

(JaiDee @ Feb. 09 2010,12:19) Oh, I haven't  RX..... I still love Asia and you can't beat it for overall cheapness as well as weather and food, nightlife, etc..... I can easily live in Thailand for 50-60K baht per month or less than 2K US;  try that elsewhere in the world and it's not easy. ...
                          Very doable. I live quite well in BKK on just under 60K THB/month.

Sorry, no info on the islands, other than ... during my sailboat racing days in the '60s and '70s, it seemed rather expensive.
                          "The Ladyboy Collection- start yours today!"

Comment

BUMP for this thread .....I have recently been exploring the option of settling in Costa Rica for a year and trying that out, the pacific coast side near Jaco or Tambor, etc..... near the beach and far from San Jose; anyone have any experience with that place??

Seems as though I can live there very cheaply same-same as Thailand, and I already checked on flights; 9 hours beats the hell out of 30+. Nice tropical country, friendly people, good weather, good exchange, good beaches; sounds a lot like Thailand but in my own hemisphere.

Comment

(JaiDee @ Mar. 23 2010,18:37) BUMP  for this thread .....I have recently been exploring the option of settling in Costa Rica for a year and trying that out, the pacific coast side near Jaco or Tambor, etc..... near the beach and far from San Jose; anyone have any experience with that place??

Seems as though I can live there very cheaply same-same as Thailand, and I already checked on flights; 9 hours beats the hell out of 30+.  Nice tropical country, friendly people, good weather, good exchange, good beaches; sounds a lot like Thailand but in my own hemisphere.
                              This will give you second thoughts. My sister lives in Bermuda. I keep planning to visit her. Maybe see you there?

Comment

Working...
                              X