X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Final Visa Run to Perth

Off on a visa trip and I thought Id start at the beginning. This was brought forward by a month due to the impending closure of the Perth consulate and caused some dramas in itself. Having got the flights arranged for B13.5k in March re-booking and the increase in fares closer to the date raised the costs by B10k. this was exacerbated by a new Air Asia computer system and promotion making it almost impossible to re-book. Everything sorted, hotels booked etc so here we go.

Drove through Patong at 6am avoiding the final drunks wending their way home and had no probs parking in a relatively quiet airport, chatted to a very nice flight attendant in the elevator who was on the same flight. Parking is B200 per day, some people moan about the increase but for an International Airport its fine to me so long as the taxi drivers don€™t give me a flat tire on return again!

It€™s worth noting that Air Asia is now closing their check ins 1 hour before departure, not 40 minutes as before. The new self check in works OK but you€™ll still have to queue if you have anything more than hand luggage. If you€™re lucky there wil d an Indian family with abut 5 generations of excess luggage ahead of you, all peading ignorance and hardship, to no avail. A quick document check and virtually straight through Immigration. The usual pause whilst my passport is re-checked- the perils of losing the last one 2 years ago. I always keep it light with the immigration guys and smile a lot, thanking them for being so thorough- pays to keep them on side. Through and into the departure lounge where there€™s still no free wifi in this day and age.

Quick, slightly bumpy flight down to KL, only spoiled by the young Bogans travelling in wife beaters and flip flops yakking and swearing at the tops of their voices totally oblivious to the women and children around them. As I€™ve said before though- budget airlines = budget people. They all tried to rush to get off the front of the plane as I quietly slipped out the back ( not like me!). They should have known with the Indians in front of them they had no chance- these guys are past masters at being first. The long march to immigration , then more annoying Indians. One guy in front of me- suddenly they were four. Each member of the family had staked out a queue so the first one to the front could call the others across- cunts!!!

Got the bus across to KLIA from the budget terminal at a cost of R2.50 and all I could hear behind me was €˜wadda ya mean oi€™ve gotta poi€™in that beautiful nasal twang. €˜strewth mite, I thought it was free and got no money, waddami gonna do?€™ One whip round later and he was as happy as a kanga in a roo. It€™s a 15 minute ride from the LCCT to KLIA in a clean aircon bus. Lunchtime so a lovely mutton curry for 8 ringgit downstairs in the airport and on to the Concord Inn. 7/11 type shops downstairs but they don€™t sell beer. At R12-18 per can in the hotel though I€™d rather go without.

With a 12 hour layover no way was I stopping in the LCCT and the Tune hotel was booked. I€™m in there on my return so we€™ll see what it€™s like then. It€™s cost me just over B2k for the Concord and they didn€™t have an issue with me booking in early. It€™s a shame I didn€™t do my research though as they have a pool and I could have dossed beside it. No free wifi in the room, which these days I€™d expect n Malaysia, but it is nice to see brew kit again- something sadly lacking on Thai hotels. Their bus heads back to the terminal every hour and half our on the hour and its back to the LCCT from there. Shuttle busses run every 20 minutes from 5€™30 am to 1150pm daily at R2.5 a trip.
    I couldn't give a shit how long it is until you're next holiday- I live here

Part Deux

As usual the self check-in€™s a bit hit and miss- this time it€™s a miss. Not a big queue that time of night so checked through and off o the gate, laughing at the €˜duty free€™ prices. 5 and a bit hours later we€™re on the deck and I stand out like tits on a bullas the only white face in the €˜Foreign Passports€™ section. Immediately selected for secondary screening, interest from Customs AND quarantine- I seem to have one of those faces even though I€™ve been there and done it in a previous life!! Not a problem though as I always expect to get pulled so am clean as a whistle. Half an hour later whilst waiting for the bus the scruffy Bogans are still slowly emerging- dress for success guys!

A 40 minute wait for the bus incorporates a $4.5 cup of coffee- welcome back to the West( and it wasn€™t even a caffe frappe wotsit mit a tvist either, just plain old black) For$18 the shuttle bus will take you to the hotel (or in my case Consulate) of your choice. After loitering around for nearly 3 hours I was straight in (or so I thought- there€™s a rush on with them closing at the end of the week).

Normally they€™ve been processing approx ten visas a day- last week it was 78 on one day. Everyone€™s very unhappy turns out that part of the reason for the closure is the retirement of the Consul. But it may reopen next year staffed y Thais so there goes the neighbourhood. I could have had the visa back in the avvy but as I€™m not leaving for a couple of days I asked them to slide it to the bottom of the pile to squeeze 2 more days out of it. A few pressies later to the really great staff and it was off to the hotel.

I€™m staying at the Criterion right in the middle of town. Again getting used to western rates- its costing me the same for 3 nights as it is for a month€™s rent at home. On the bright side I€™m sat here with a very nice bottle of red for 5 bucks so its swings and roundabouts. Found the supermarket to stock up but they only have that veggy shite, not REAL marmite! Room is fine but I got a bit hacked off waiting to check in at 2pm, only to see people arriving after me getting their rooms first. Was a bit of a mutual mis-understanding so I€™m over it now.

One thing that Patong could really learn from Perth (and Sydney too according to the couple in front of me) is the CAT transport system of free shuttle busses around town. It€™s a great way to get around and see things without the bore of a tour bus. Red route has about 25 stops, all in the right place if that makes sense. Even with construction work in the centre of town the traffic was fairly free flowing. That€™s what I like about €˜modern €˜cities like Perth and Vancouver- they€™ve got the space and taken the time to lay them out well.

Indulging in loads of spinach and feta things at the moment but tonight horror of horrors it was the €˜dreaded€™ Donner Kebab. It€™s something I really miss but also have Calamari and Lamb Shanks to look forward to. 4 litres of red wine for under B500 will find space in the bag as well.

After nearly 30 hours in transit with little sleep it€™s time to crash out for now.

Comment

(Ivor Biggun @ Oct. 12 2010,11:56) ....nice to see brew kit again - something sadly lacking on Thai hotels.
      First time Herself checked into a UK hotel with me she was very interested in the brew kit  -  she used to work in a Thai hotel.
      Her comment;-  In Thailand they would steal the tea,coffee and sugar and probably the kettle    

Always liked Perth but it's so bloody far from anywhere else!

Enjoy civilization.    

RR.
      Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
      Kahuna

Comment

Got the rest but the kettle is a bit of a push!!!

Comment

Great report - I always travel with a jar of coffee, so is nice to find a room with a kettle.

Any action down there? or bump into Pacman?
          seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

With only 5 days away I'm sure I can keep it zipped til I get back!! Local talent is nothing on Phuket but I did see a couple of Thai girls wandering around yesterday. How did i know they were Thai- typically they were talking about Gin Khao!!!

Comment

Woke up feeling fresh after knocking myself out with some very nice red last night. It€™s so nice to be able to drink wine at reasonable prices. The kebab did its job as well so I was all set for a nice filling breakfast buffet to get me through the day. I wasn€™t to be disappointed, wit loads to eat no way did I need a sandwich later. One thing about the hotel Wi-Fi internet- for some reason I can€™t access hotmail. No big deal as I don€™t really want to talk to anyone anyway.

Taking advantage of the free bus I headed off to Kings Park- Perth€™s version of Vancouver€™s Stanley Park (without the zoo, aquarium, bridge, etc!) Again the nice thing about this place is that it€™s been well planned- it€™s not as if you€™re going to run out of space in Oz though!! Anyone visiting Perth should visit the park and its gardens- some stunning views and very easy to walk back into the centre of town if you€™re feeling energetic. One problem with being in the city centre though is a lack of hardware stores, etc, so the rest of the afternoon meant a quick trip out to the suburbs to get some herb plants, picture hooks and other niff naff I can€™t find in Phuket ( even at Supercheap!) Pigging out on spinach and feta things at every chance so that€™s dinner tonight, along with another red.

One thing about walking around Perth is its so cosmopolitan. I€™ve spotted gorgeous women from the Far and Middle East, Africa and India- I even saw one fairly attractive white woman ( maybe it€™s the sexy secretary look though , the Courts are nearby so its all sexy black skirts and stockings) .

I€™ve got my eye on a couple of 4 liter boxes of wine at Aud15 each to bring back along with other essential foodstuffs so it€™s a shopping day tomorrow along with passport collection.

Comment

Perth Day 3- and another non-humid start to the day. It is nice to walk around for more than 5 minutes without your shirt looking like it€™s been in the shower. Late breakfast then across to the Consulate to collect passport with new visa. Good to go for another 15 months now so €“YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!

Around the shopping precincts to discover a tiny jar of marmite in amongst the Veggi-shite. Stocked up on a few other essentials as well and another bottle of red to help me sleep tonight prior to a 4am start tomorrow. I may take over from Jim as the food king in the near future as I do like my little treats.

One thing I€™ve been really conscious of whilst here is the nanny culture. It even says in the welcome pack at the hotel that pens and pencils aren€™t provided for safety reasons! Signs warning or everything everywhere and even the posties (that€™s POSTPERSONS not LB!!) wear high vis shirts. Every job seems to end with a vowel- Ambos, Firies, Scaffos, Drongos, Abos- what happened to real names. €œNo Worries€™ coming out of every mouth tends to grate a bit as well, although it is funny hearing it out of a 5 foot nothing Chinese mouth. Maybe it€™s a good idea the Consulate is closing with grumpy sods like me about!!

In and amongst the kebabs it€™s been nice to eat real lamb, one of the things I don€™t get too much of at home. I missed out with the hotel- I thought their 20% food discount was a one off but it turns out I could have used it every night-grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Bad drills for a cheap cut like me!

Furiously downloading 2 more series of breaking Bad before the reality of Patong internet sets in again.

Apart from my comment above it€™s a shame the Consulate is closing at the end of this week (ie tomorrow). It€™s always provided a great service and to those of you west coasters having to send things back east is gong to be a real pain. Hopefully common sense will prevail and it will open again at some point in the future. Unfortunately it may not be as user-friendly as it has been in the past for obtaining long term visas. Oh well, one more trip to the UK after this and I can get a geezer visa.

Comment

Oops- just got my emergency pencil stuck in my ear- I guess the warnings were right!!

Comment

Well the long return to Phuket started at 4am in the morning. Bumped into a couple in the lobby of the hotel and they paid the taxi to the airport- my contribution was to drive them home at the Phuket end- well worth it. For those who complain about Phuket taxi fares the 17k ride cost Aus30 or about 900baht. AND the driver tried to short change her 10 bucks! 3 flights were checking in but Aus immigration quite quick, although the security measures are almost as anal as the US. What cracks me up is that I can€™t carry a bottle of water through but a razor, pen, toothbrush, pencil, keys, lighter, steel security cable for laptop, etc are fine!! Oh the damage I could do with any one of them if the mood took me!

AA really seem to have their shit together these days- all flights left on time and actually arrived early. If travelling on the A#330 book row 17 Set A- it€™s well worth it for the leg room, also rows 15 H-J and 16 D-G although you take the chance of a squalling baby in a bassinet next to you. I love the €˜we feel its important for Tristan to express himself€™ attitude of some moms when their rug rat has been screaming its head off for 30 minutes coz they can€™t get it to swallow and relieve the pressure in its ears!

Straight through Immigration in KL and decided to self-check early. The machine was working this time but when it came time to check my bag I met the dreaded Indians again. They really are the Russian travelers of the Far East. No way is anyone going to believe that 30kg of assorted rubbish weighs 10kg not matter what way you pack it. 20 minutes later and it was a 10 minute walk to AA€™s Tune Hotel. With the time at 1310 no way were they going to budge on the 1400 check in time. Having received the same treatment in Perth at the Criterion it was amusing to hear the Aussies whinging about it ( especially how they€™re always on about €˜whinging Poms€™!

Being polite (yes I can do polite!) I was the first checked through and into my room. Cheap and cheerful would be the way to describe it. You get a bed, a fold down counter for your bag and a toilet/shower room. Aircon, internet, towel etc are extra and there is no TV. On the other hand the bed is very comfortable. For a 4-8 hour stop in KL it would do OK but I€™m fine with basic, others aren€™t. To be honest if I had a 6 hour plus stopover in KL I would spend the extra B1000 and go across to the Concord near the main terminal- its only 20 minutes away and far better laid out. By the time you added up all the extras it would probably work out the same any way. Amenities wise there€™s a 7/11 and a coffee shop cum restaurant on the ground floor. So long as you fill the laptop with movies it would be OK for a stopover. Once again though it was the dreaded Indians on the warpath, needing to have a full volume conversation outside my room when I was trying to sleep.

Having checked in at 1300 I didn€™t need to be back til 1940 so having watched the penultimate episode of The Wire and stuffing a steak and kidney pie from Perth down my grid it was back to the LCCT where they have free Wi-Fi, friendly and efficient immigration ( or should that be emigration if you€™re going out) officials. The long walk to the aircraft revealed that my early check in had got me a hot seat near the front for free, the downside was that the guy next o me obviously didn€™t have personal hygiene high on his agenda. Never mind, it was only a 1 hour flight, the pilot got us to Phuket 20 minutes early. Here we go I thought, as my long legs carried me past the pushy Indians trying to get there first. Straight into the Immigration Hall and hit the back end of the queue for the Sydney flight-oops! Fortunately Immigration was on the ball- it took about 15 minutes to get through and they actually gave me the 90 days I was entitled to! No problems going out on my UK passport and returning on the Canadian one either.

Now the difference between KL and Phuket. By the time I€™d cleared Imm both legs through KL the baggage was just coming through. Phuket took about 20 minutes after Imm so we lost the time made up by the flight. Tucking myself in behind a bunch of Bogan backpackers who got pulled for customs searches I was waved through with my 5 litres of wine and assorted garden herbs! It pays to shave and put on shoes and a clean shirt! One thing to note is that the little duty free shop has closed again so buy at the other end. Personally I don€™t find the Duty Free prices any cheaper and haven€™t bothered for years.

Fortunately the truck tires hadn€™t been sabotaged this time and along with my passengers we headed home. The car park now barcode scans the parking tickets so there€™s none of the rip-offs that were happening before. B1k for 5 days is fine in my book. Dropping my pax off in Kamala it was back to Patong and reality.

To recap- Perth is a great city, AA has improved considerably, their Flight Attendants are for the most part stunning, Phuket Airport Immigration seemed to have considerably improved their service and the Consulate in Perth is now closed.
                    Attached Files

Comment

(Ivor Biggun @ Oct. 16 2010,11:54) It pays to shave and put on shoes and a clean shirt! One thing to note is that the little duty free shop has closed again so buy at the other end. Personally I don€™t find the Duty Free prices any cheaper and haven€™t bothered for years.
                      Never underestimate the power of a clean shirt. Or one with a collar and buttons

D/F is a real crap shoot these days...

Seems you are surrounded by Bogans wherever you go

As you say, back to reality now... Interesting travelogue
                      Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage

Comment

(Ivor Biggun @ Oct. 16 2010,15:54) Dropping my pax off in Kamala it was back to Patong and reality.
                        interesting.....

Comment

Working...
                        X