X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sao Paulo TS Back to School

Here is a very interesting AFP article published in today's Bangkok Post. The statistics for murdered ts is quite shocking.

Back to school for Sao Paulo transsexuals
    Published: 8/04/2015 at 09:45 PM
    Online news:
    SAO PAULO - Karen Emiliano was a boy called Jonas when she gave up studying 23 years ago, bullied for saying she felt she was a girl.

At the age of 13, she left home and headed for Sao Paulo, where she became a prostitute.

Now, though, she is going back to school as part of a Brazilian program to help 100 transsexuals and transvestites living in the country's business capital to return to education, aided by monthly grants of 827 reais ($265), just above the minimum wage.

They will study six hours a day for two years -- some at the primary and others at secondary level -- under a municipal program dubbed Transcidadania (trans-citizenship).

The Sao Paulo prefecture is investing three million reais ($960,000) in the scheme to bolster the employment prospects of the group in a country which sees more killings of transsexuals than in any other country, according to NGO Transgender Europe.

The group says 602 were murdered between 2008 and 2014.

Sao Paulo mayor Fernando Haddad says the pioneering program is designed to "rescue" participants from social oblivion.

- Making ends meet -

Valeryah Rodriguez's heavily made-up eyes flash as she shares a joke in history class with friend Lecca, who is looking to reconnect with her student self of 30 years ago as their teacher leads them through the basics at an adult learning center.

Five trannssexuals are in a class which also includes eight other students, most of them with learning difficulties.

Sat at the next desk, Karen explains she still has difficulty making ends meet and sometimes has to return to prostitution to meet the 500 reais monthly cost of the room she rents in the city.

Candidates seeking a place on the Transcidadania program need to live in Sao Paulo and not have held down a job for more than three months in the past three years.

There is a 100-strong waiting list.

In order to receive their grants the students must not skip more than three classes.

"We've hardly had any class skipping. There has been the odd problem of someone turning up worse for wear through drink," says coordinator Symmy Larrat, a transvestite.

"We've not managed to cure her but have managed to get her to turn up to classes sober," says Larrat.

- Mind over body -

After English class, Michelly Romera slips a brown hat over her blonde locks and heads out.

Aged 32 with just a bare minimum of make-up Michelly explains she worked on the streets for 16 years -- including one spent in Italy.

"The grant is not a lot -- but helps a lot. Since I started the classes, I've not been back out on the street," smiles Michelly, who wants to study psychology.

Back inside the classroom, Cristiane Mourao, 39, says she hopes to become a nurse.

Her schooling ended at 15 amid violent bullying and Cristiane says she has also cheated death on several occasions, such as when a client threatened her with a gun to avoid paying.

She quit the street thereafter.

But Cristiane says she feels fortunate in that her family understood her from the outset.

"I've been the same all my life. I have changed physically but I was born with the mind of a woman. The real woman is in the mind, not the body," she asserts.

Valeryah says she feels her family would have found it easier to accept had she been gay rather than opt for gender re-assignment.

"But going back to school has given me my life back. It makes me really happy to think I am going to be part of society again."

A transsexual attends a class of the TransCidadania program, which provides scholarships for transvestites and transsexuals in Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Attached Files

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
    Membership Levels
    The Rookie Thread
    New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
    Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

I have been to Brazil and it can be a violent culture. I would say over all there is a much larger percentage of transgenders in that country not sure of the reasons of that. It seemed TS were more tolerated that gays in general, so maybe it is an easier path. There is a machismo attitude among men that could be very isolating to transgenders and gays.

I've only been to Rio de Janeiro but there didn't seem to be any ladyboy bars and the environment for the street workers was downright scary. The main drag there probably had well over 100 tgirls trolling the street, some naked. Sao Paulo is bigger and scarier than Rio.

So the large population of 200 million and the high percentage of TS could account part of the reasons the numbers of murders are higher. However compared to other countries it is still very high.

This website lists some other country's numbers.

Brazil (602), Mexico (160), Venezuela (81), Colombia (80), Honduras (65), Guatemala (36), and the Dominican Republic (31) in Central and South America, the USA (94) in North America, Turkey (35) and Italy (27) in Europe, and India (35) and the Philippines (29) in Asia.

Still if you look at the overall murder rates in the world, the Brazil numbers make alot of sense.

murders.JPG
    www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

Thanks for the insights Crag. I am generally not a big fan of the Brazilian ts as they tend to be much bigger than the Asian lbs. Marcelo Ohio while gorgeous is way too tall for me - she's about 180 cm (5'10").

It is a tragedy when a group of people are singled out for violence - and in this case murders.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
      Membership Levels
      The Rookie Thread
      New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
      Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Originally posted by rxpharm View Post
        Valeryah says she feels her family would have found it easier to accept had she been gay rather than opt for gender re-assignment.
        It's interesting I remember watching a documentary about Iran where it's more acceptable to be transgender then gay. To the point where the government was paying for gay men to have SRS, it was mainly forced on them as a way to escape persecution for being gay. Although I can't imagine life gets much better after the SRS while living a lie.

There was another reason I came to this topic. I had recently discovered a new Brazilian transsexual named Veronica Bolina that I liked the look of and so I was searching for more of her content when I came across this story. It highlighted some of the statistics you mentioned. I was shocked because it was hard to tell it was the same person that I had been looking at.

Now I am know there are two sides to the story - there was an altercation with a neighbour and allegations that she attacked police in the cell but nothing can justify the response. Also the shaving of the head is purely cruel and degrading.

I visited Brazil in 2008 but I never really got a feel for the societies attitude towards travesti. I saw that life on the street was dangerous, I remember talking to Hilda Brasil about a friend that had just been shot while working on the street. I suppose I was a bit naïve in thinking that because Brazil has such a large transgender community that it€™s attitude may have been more accepting.

Life is hard enough growing up transgendered without having to deal with police brutality and knowing that when you do get in trouble you can€™t even turn to the police for protection. You can see how dealing with prejudice and discrimination your whole life can lead to a hard life on the streets. For many with a lack of education and being ostracised from family it must be a dark spiral that they can't escape from. So it's good to know that there are organizations that help people get off the streets and give them a choice. Prostitution can then be a choice rather then a necessity.

I can see why so many Brazilian ts end up in Europe (besides the money of course).

It's things like this that make me realise that I won the lottery being born white and in Australia.
        I don't get it, is this a magic show?

Comment

Working...
        X