X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a normal weekend

With Saturday being a budhist holiday and Monday being the resulting public holiday, everyone was expecting a quiet weekend in Bangkok as the business visitors delay trips and residents escape the city and spend 6 hours in traffic jams wondering if the whole of the city has left town at the exact same moment they did.

Ironically, nothing could be further from the truth as the bar itself was very busy on Thursday night, Friday was relatively quiet and then Saturday was the day that bars were instructed to close. Pandemonium broke loose though on Sunday morning when Jay was awoken with a phone call circa 10am. For someone to ring at 10am - it meant only two things - it was either her parents or some guy hitting up for a date after getting her number from the internet. Unlucky for her, it was her mum. "We decided to come and visit you as tomorrow is a holiday - we are on the way and will be staying at your cousins and will come and see you tonight" apparently was the message. Jay sat bolt upright in the bed, muttered something akin to "oh Shit" and turned white.

After jumping out of the bed and calling her sister - she said to me "so are you going to your house tonight or staying here?" I can only assume that meant her comfy little world in Bangkok, 400km's away from her parents was about to turn upside down. my first reply knowing her dad is something in the army was along the lines of "does he keep a gun is his car?" - "No, not normally" was the reply - "but he has them at the house" - big comfort to me; that reply surely was not.

Fast forward a bit after an uneventfull day of Jay getting into a blind panic whenever the phone rang or later whenever the door to the bar opened, sometime around 9pm that evening the family arrived at Guess Bar. Luckily for Jay, her flirtatious sister had been barfined about 10 minutes previously - completely unphased by the upcoming arrival of her folks. If anything, she, unlike Jay seemed to thrive on the riskiness of being caught and was extremely frisky with the poor guy she had set her sights on. I'll come back to that point as it was an interesting lesson - maybe Ziggy can provide an analysis for us.

So come the arrival and first of 3 young guys walk in - all circa 20-25 and one younger girl circa 20. Mum followed but dad was not there. Luckily for me I was at the bar chatting with a guy I know and thus able to view the proceedings and make a quick exit as soon as I saw a pump action shotgun or an M16 borrowed from the Thai army appearing. Luckily at the moment they walked in Gong the barman was getting us another couple of (stiff) drinks. So he fed us an ongoing commentary. I had forgotten that Gong and Jay went to school together and so he already knew all of Jays family and chatted with for a few moments as did Pong the cashier. Jays mum was surprised to see both Gong and Pong who she had taught as children attending the school where she is a teacher. So they were all ushered by Jay up to the comfy sofa which luckily had just been vacated by Jane not 10 minutes before and she rushed around opening bottles of premium whisky, beers etc for the gathered kin.

After about two minutes, the father appeared - presumably either having gone for a leak in the toilet or otherwise to check & load up the shotgun or whatever sidearm he had tucked under his shirt. To describe him as a small but very powerfully built guy is a bit like saying a tomahawk missile looks harmless enough from the outside.

I had already done my homework and dropped into the conversation (again) that my cousin had trained the Prince when he was seconded to the UK as part of this air force training. Gong was impressed by that, but Jay said nothing. This was all done to try and establish exactly where in the hierarchy Jays dad sat - ie was he an officer, an NCO or just a relative nobody. Nobody could tell me the answer to that except that he got promoted a lot (big deal - even a car park attendant in Thailand gets promoted and has medals in the use of a whistle) and had many medals and shiny bits on his dress uniform.

So after Jays dad walked in and greeted his daughter and then all the other staff with lots of deep Wai's (from the staff), he glanced around, presumably to see where the bullets may lodge and noting to avoid shooting up the plasma TV which might look good on his living room wall. Seeing the Arsenal match on TV he decided to sit at the bar and ordered a Heineken with lots of smiles and scurrying going on around him. Two of Jays cousins came and sat at the bar as well, barely 4m from me but luckily I somehow managed to remain invisible. I checked and did not see any tell tale red dots anywhere around my heart so I relaxed a bit feeling that a sniper did not have his rifle aimed on me at that given moment.

Jay meanwhile was chatting away to her mum and two cousins who remained on the sofa. Jenny however was eyeing up all 3 of the male cousins - more of that later. Jane was still up in the horizontal position somewhere on the 3rd floor.

After what seemed like forever, but was only really 15 minutes and 3 drinks later, Jay beckoned me over to meet her mum. I dont think her dad even noticed me as he was thrilled to be watching the English premier league and probably mentally sizing up which wall that Plasma would look best on in his house.

So I slowly walked over to the sofa ensuring no sudden movements that may induce an instant reaction with a loaded pistol from the said father and went and chatted to Jay, her mum and cousins. I did my own form of a pillow job and tried to disguise myself between the cushions wondering what ability they would have to stop a bullet. I think I found Jane knickers under one cushion and quickly put those back where I found them. Jays mum was lovely and a typical schoolteacher - easy to get on with, asking all the sort of questions she normally would of a shy nervous, 5 year old on his first day at school !!!! - Seemingly that went well and then Jays dad decided to come over.....

Preminitions are a funny thing - you can almost sense something happening - even without seeing him coming, I knew he was on the way over. The fact that everybody (except me) looked in his direction helped as did the well timed and aimed kick in my shin from Jays hi heel shoe focused my attention that this was either the end of my natural life or just another hurdle in the game we call life.

Not being totally stupid, I know how to impress people and grovel with respect - after all I have not worked in sales for 20 years and learnt nothing. So I immediately smile at him and stand up to greet him. As I am standing I am looking at his waistline for any tell tale signs of handguns lodged in his waistband but so far so good. Then of course, I thought - if this guy is senior enough, he will have some lacky to do the shooting - officers never get their own hands dirty. Jay introduced me to him and I wai'd him respectfully and he did likewise which surprised me, as he had not bothered with anyone else other than his daughter and Gong. He then smiled and shook my hand and asked me to sit down in Thai. Thank god he did as my legs were about way so I neatly collapsed into the sofa.

His first question was which football team did I support. That kinda threw me - I was expecting something more deep, obviously a cunning plan on his part and probably part of his interogation training for the southern prisoners they capture and torture - ie get them relaxed first and then go for their balls. I replied Arsenal to which he said, yes - that was a good match. He and his henchman sat next to him both said they supported Manchester United. I said, oh my friend works at "Old Trafford" carrying of injured players (Sorry DaveDuke, but needs must in these hostile conditions) - well that hit the spot and cries of envy came from both of them. Credibility seemed to be established and so everyone took a sip of their respective drinks (except me, I think I slugged a whole bottle in one go). Seeing the bottle of black label on the table, I asked Gong to change it for Green label, which impressed her father no end. Just a shame he then proceeded to mix it with coke but no way was I going to suggest thats not the best thing to do.

We then spoke about respective careers, where we came from etc and what we did for a living. I actually found out that he regulary volunteers (!!!!!!) for tours in the troubled South of Thailand his job as he explained it is to teach army cadets about various things (presumably how to shoot straight and hit the right guy), as well as various other bits of how to know the right end of a gun from the wrong end.

By this time, as is common in Guess Bar, come 10pm the music tends to become a bit more up tempo and suddenly from nowhere Jenny appears on the little podium and decides to do some dancing. I should also add that Jane had re-appeared and greeted her parents and decided to do some sexy dancing as well. This kinda threw me again - Jay had been the perfect daughter - nothing outspoken, very shy and introvert. Jane however was completely different. Seemingly Jenny had her eye on one or even all of the 3 young cousins and was doing her best to impress them. Muggins even had to go and change a 1000 b note to provide 100b tips for Jenny and her dancing which the 3 cousins took great delight in depositing around her body. By this time, conversation was flowing very well and the bottle of green label reducing by the minute. Jays girl cousin then came and spoke to me in fluent english - turns out her step father lives in the US and she studies there. The 3 other guy cousins and dad kept looking at Jenny and her sexy dancing. Jenny I am sure was lapping it up and mentally working out which one of the 3 was going to be her prey for the night. Jane meanwhile had set her sights on another guy and was busy doing a pillow job, luckily out of dads line of vison but clearly in her mums. Strange that but I had my own self preservation to concentrate on and I kept focused on that task. Jay just seemed relieved that she was not going to have to clean up my blood of the most expensive sofa in the bar. Jays mum and dad chatted and then mum invited me up to their home for a visit. Maybe its easier to bury bodies up on their land - for all I know, there may be 3 bodies of previous boyfriends to keep me company 6 feet under the ground !!!! Actually as an aside, Jay told me later, that she has never introduced any guy to her parents as her boyfriend. By the look of things Jays mum wants to get her wed and the dad still had his eyes on the plasma TV. After much more drinking, the 3 male cousins went and sat at the bar and were surrounded by the remaining girls - they certainly seem to be popular - Jenny was leading the charge but Fern, Nat, Nan and Nui all seemed to be enjoying the hunt. No idea what happened to the rest = presume they got barfined.

Jane meanwhile seemed to keep her distance and concentrated on flirting with as many farang guys as she could. I dont actually know what happended to her in the end so can only assume she was barfined again. By this stage, I had little capacity to absorb what was going on around me - just making sure that no M16 suddenly appeared from dad deciding to do some target practice.

As the evening drew to a close, mum and dad decided it was time to head back to Jays cousins house and get some sleep. We all walked down to the car and somehow I managed to keep upright without embarrasing myself - unfortunately these army types seem to know how to drink - luckily he was not driving home and had one of the cousins to do that. Come to think of it - I only counted 2 of the male cousins getting into the vehicle - I suspect Jenny had captured the 3rd. After fond farewells and much wai'ing and smiling, they drove off. Jay let out a huge sign of relief and I lived to see another day.

Cheers
    Mardhi

Comment

Hi Mardhi,

That is the funniest story I've read in ages, great stuff.

I was laughing, and laughing, fucking funny !

P.S. Can I interest you in a bulletproof vest for your trip to the parent's house ?

Cheers
      Koykaeng
      Ladyboys need to learn...... Listerine is not a beverage !

Comment

Excellent writing......love to see the ying and the yang with Jay and Jane. I would think the girls parents wouldnt want it rubbed in their faces that their "daughters" worked in an establishment such as that but I guess Thai culture is much more liberal and they probably dont care as long as money is sent home. It has to be a trip for the father who is in the army and probably had dreams that his two sons would follow in his footsteps....instead they both became ladyboys and ended up working in bars. Has to be a big blow to his ego. I wonder what military officers have to do to get medals...considering the Thai army is never in combat on an international level.
        brock landers

Comment

So how much is the dowry? looks like Mum sees you as good marriage material, and Dad wants the Plasma.

Great report, thanks for sharing.
          seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

In answer to brock's question - I guess your right - Jay has previously told me he has struggled with them becoming ladyboys, but is now comfortable with it. He genuinely seemed surprised at the quality of the bar and what Jay has achieved - maybe he was expecting some seedy dump with sawdust on the floor. Luckily the bar does look classy which works well in the impressing stakes. Not sure about his relationship with Jane, Jay certainly seems closer - maybe and infact probably Jane is the more rebellious of the two twins. Unfortunately the 3rd child, who is a real girl did not come down. Apparently she is stunning, albeit only 17 or 18 and about to start studying at a University in Bangkok.

I assume the reality is that her dad has seen his fair share of Thai lounges so this would not have been too much out of the ordinary to him at least - had it been a farang Gogo he might have had a very different view - all the girls where very restrained and mindful of his being there, except for Jane of course.

Cheers
            Mardhi

Comment

Great story, mate and you almost had me believing untill you wrote this...

"Luckily at the moment they walked in Gong the barman was getting us another couple of (stiff) drinks...."

Anyone else nosey like me and want to know what the real girl of the family actually looks like?

Comment

...Great story and experience no doubt. I'm surprised that there seemed to be so much tension. My curiosity is raised as to why such a concern or "paranoia" regarding meeting parents who both seem well educated with great kids. Do Thais really dislike farangs, particularly if they are involved with their children? Maybe it is like the 1950's in the USA if a white girl dated a black man........"Guess Who's Coming to Dinner"? Meeting parents for me has never been a stressful thing whether foreign or domestic and I've rather enjoyed getting the history behind the girl I may be dating at the time.....great to pull mom aside and ask about "Julie" when she was 15. Sounds like you were welcomed into the family and avoided putting your own foot in your mouth so to speak..
                ....so,  you're really a guy?..............  

Comment

I love your story....
                  My parents in law are rice farmers around 550 km from Bkk.....lovely and a nice family..they and all the kin are normal Thais ...I feel ike an alien...

btw a great story and curious to read more...that's live not only eperiences from the night before...

Normal life in LOS..

Dieter
                  Ladyboy Pro....A Bigger Bang

Comment

(mardhi @ Mar. 07 2007,06:48)    

His first question was which football team did I support.    That kinda threw me - I was expecting something more deep, obviously a cunning plan on his part and probably part of his interogation training for the southern prisoners they capture and torture - ie get them relaxed first and then go for their balls.   I replied Arsenal to which he said, yes - that was a good match.   He and his henchman sat next to him both said they supported Manchester United.     I said, oh my friend works at "Old Trafford" carrying of injured players (Sorry DaveDuke, but needs must in these hostile conditions) - well that hit the spot and cries of envy came from both of them.    Credibility seemed to be established and so everyone took a sip of their respective drinks (except me, I think I slugged a whole bottle in one go).  
                    No Worries mardhi, glad to be of help mate
                    Attached Files
                    Your got yer Mother in a whirl
                    Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

we were watching for you tonight dave, thought you would get a cameo when Silvestre was carried off...
                      seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

Not my side of the pitch Im afraid KL ( we have 2 stretcher teams ) but we ran on the pitch on 3 times
                        Your got yer Mother in a whirl
                        Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

Thanks for sharing Mardhi. Great writing style you had me laughing.

Nice insight into the family dynamic, I couldn't imagine something like that happening in OZ. I can understand you being nervous it's not your average relationship.
                          I don't get it, is this a magic show?

Comment

Good yarn bro. When did you get time to write this saga. I bet writing it all down was good to get it of your chest.

Comment

(mardhi @ Mar. 07 2007,10:16)      Not sure about his relationship with Jane, Jay certainly seems closer - maybe and infact probably Jane is the more rebellious of the two twins.    Unfortunately the 3rd child, who is a real girl did not come down.   Apparently she is stunning, albeit only 17 or 18 and about to start studying at a University in Bangkok.    
                              Twice I have been in Janes Company (once in Bangkok and once in Pattaya) when her father has called asking for money and I can only judge that from her reaction that the relationship is not strong.
                              Jane also used to say she did not get on with her (genetic girl) sister

Nice story mardhi, you are a true raconteur

Comment

Working...
                              X