Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would advise against putting red wines like cabernet or shiraz into the ref. If a restaurant or bar wants to serve dry reds with good flavor, they should consider a wine room with cement walls, a dehumidifier and air con. I agree that 90 degrees with 90 percent humidity will kill any wine, red or white, but the opposite, like a cold ref will make reds bitter. Ideally, 60-65 degrees fahrenheit is perfect for cabs and shiraz.

Comment

Why not try promoting Thai wine. the DIG does. This should cut the cost, providing the stuff is palatable. Even the barman thinks the Italian urine sample they seel now isn't up to much.

Comment

(alan1chef @ Oct. 09 2007,12:01) I would advise against putting red wines like cabernet or shiraz into the ref. If a restaurant or bar wants to serve dry reds with good flavor, they should consider  a wine room with cement walls, a dehumidifier and air con. I agree that 90 degrees with 90 percent humidity will kill any wine, red or white, but the opposite, like a cold ref will make reds bitter. Ideally, 60-65 degrees fahrenheit is perfect for cabs and shiraz.
        first time in samui last month, walking the main street in lamai, sweating in the heat and humidity...i pass a liquor store and there in the giant picture window are row after row of upright bottles of lovely white wine. with the blazing sun showing off their beautiful labels and reflections glistening off their contents.

and no, i didn't go in to suggest storage options

Comment

(DrPhil35 @ Nov. 25 2007,00:50) Why not try promoting Thai wine. the DIG does. This should cut the cost, providing the stuff is palatable. Even the barman thinks the Italian urine sample they seel now isn't up to much.
          I can testify to this. I was at the party on Friday night and when I ordered a glass of wine, he kind of hinted; "are you really sure about this :-) "

I must say; I won't order red wine again, I'm easy going, yet, that wasn't up to par at any rate. No complain, just an observation.

PP

Comment

The wine Guess Bar serves by the glass is very drinkable - the idea of bottles has been dropped - just too many issues around it for the moment - hwoever they continue to have both red and white wine by the glass for a very reasonable (by Thai standards) 140 baht for a decent sized glass. As I remember the Red alternates between a Californian and Chilean box wine and the white is invariably a Californian Chardonnay.

Cheers
            Mardhi

Comment

We stock medium white wine by the glass coming out of a 10 litre box serving 125cl measures of Germam Liebfraumilch

We also stock Dry Sacred Hill White Californian Chardonnay and a red Drosty Hoff (South Africa) in 188cl "little! bottles which go down very well and may do so in the Guess Bar
              I certainly would have the odd bottle of red in the Guess if available in these size bottles, but thats just me

Mine is not a big wine drinking pub I think due to the fact we dont serve food plus there is a big Beefeater restaurant and pub only 400 yards away
              Your got yer Mother in a whirl
              Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

Liebfraumilch
                Dry Sacred Hill White Californian Chardonnay
                Do either of these qualify as wine?
                seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

Not to you "posh" people it doesn't
                  Your got yer Mother in a whirl
                  Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

(mardhi @ Sep. 30 2007,16:05) If Guess selected (via a relative expert and thats not me) say a wine list of a dozen good bottles mixed between red and white wine - would anybody be interested in drinking them?

I know wine is taxed heavy in Thailand, and last week when I went out I ended up paying something like 1500b + VAT + service charge for a half decent Australian bottle of wine - which personally I found to be a bit of a rip-off given that the same wine has a retail price of probably 600 baht and in Australia would probably sell for 300 baht or less.    

My thought would be trying to convince Jay to get a wine fridge and then create a list of as I a say about a dozen wines, however interested in knowing if their would be much interest.      By the way the selling price would be somewhere in the range of 800-1000 baht I would imagine.

Cheers
                    Mardhi
                    Yes, smart business move.

Comment

Working...
                    X