X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess Bar is moving

Despite earlier assurances from the landlord, the building where Guess Bar is situated has been sold and will be redeveloped at some point.

What this means is that the bar must close by the end of November 2007. Jay is currently looking at other alternatives before deciding where to move to.

Lots of things to consider - however shortage of available suitable units around Nana means its unlikely that the bar will be able to stay around the Soi 3/4 area. Jay is checking out availabality of units around lower Sukhumvit , Suk. Soi 33 and Patpong to scope out what is available and at what price. After spending a fair chunk of change on the new unit, she is somewhat miffed but not totally surprised by the actions of the owners of the building.

The plan is to switch into another unit as soon as possible and probably before the end of November - however its all up in air until she finds a suitable location and gets a lease agreed.

Luckily, she has been saving a bit of money every month and is not exactly cash strapped but equally after only one year of current business, is not able to throw millions of baht into acquiring an existing business which for the most part has no value to her as its customer base would be GG based.

So, the liklihood is that the Guess Bar 1st birthday party of 23rd November is STILL 99% likely to go ahead at the current location and then within days after that the move will take place to the new premises, wherever they are going to be.

Feel free to make any suggestions of locations that you know about that are available. Key for her is access to Skytrain, tourist area, ST hotel availability nearby and reasonable rent. I have to say, at this moment in time, its looking like Patpong is a serious contender for the simple reason its already in a government approved nightlife zone - and so can open legally until 2am - the concern with Sukhumvit is the continuing pressure to knock everything down and build shopping malls or condo buildings which seems relentless. Another factor is that rents in Patpong appear to be roughly half of what they are in Sukhumvit, even with the invaluable benefit of being in a nightlife approved area.

Will keep you guys posted as things develop - however for the time being everything is business as normal- the girls have all been briefed and assured Jay will be moving the bar and that their jobs are not at risk. If you want to do something positive - NOW is a good time to be going into the bar and buying drinks to help her build up a fund to finance the move to new location.

Cheers
    Mardhi

It was GREAT while it lasted! Back to Big Dogs, eh?

The bar may do better business in Patpong and make more money but it won't ever attract the following of forum regulars if it moves there.

The great thing about it's current location is the... well, the location!

A truly sad day...

Funny - I was in there last night showing Jay the video I took of when the painters and chippies were in there a week before it opened!

(Jay looks just as great without makeup. by the way. In fact I think I prefer that look.)

Bugger... I hope that somehow the bar manages to stay close to Nana, but for the life of me I can't imagine where!

Comment

Mardhi, sorry to hear the unexpected has happened, but good to know that Jay had a contingency (now that is future planning, maybe with some help from her advisor? ). I was there last week, but missed you and Jay.

I would like to wish her and all the staff the best in the search for a new location - hopefully something will come up soon!

Also all the best for the party, and yes anyone living in BKK or visiting soon, give the Guess Bar your patronage because it certainly is one of the best lb places to visit in Bkk!

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
      Membership Levels
      The Rookie Thread
      New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
      Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Tough luck with the short notice, it must limit Jay's options. Good luck with the search. Keep us posted.

Where is the Guess Bar?
        I don't get it, is this a magic show?

Comment

Where is the Guess Bar?
          Now that soon may be a very good question!

Comment

Hi Mardhi,

Sorry to hear this news, especially after Jay has spent all that money on the recent expansion.

Let's hope that Jay can find a suitable new space to relocate the bar.

I think everyone will agree that we've appreciated having a "Guess Bar" style of venue to visit.

Cheers
            Koykaeng
            Ladyboys need to learn...... Listerine is not a beverage !

Comment

This is bad sad news. If, in anyway, possible I think Jay should stick to Nana, personally I do not like Patpong. But I realise the problems, good luck. Not back in Bangkok until December so too late to lend a hand.

Comment

Maybe you should move to On Nut - that would make Mr. Grumpy Ungrumpy.
                "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

Doubt it  

Very sad news about the Guess Bar
                  Your got yer Mother in a whirl
                  Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

One of the great aspects of the current (soon to be former) location was it's proximity to the main monger hotels especially Majestic and Dynasty.

Only getting one months notice to quit especially after carrying out that building work is bloody awful

Comment

(Snick @ Oct. 26 2007,17:00) Maybe you should move to On Nut - that would make Mr. Grumpy Ungrumpy.
                      Unlikely - but it will keep me happy  

Very sorry to hear about this news.   Best of luck to Jay in search for new premises.  I will be back in LOS next week, to do my bit for the OnNut Fund.

Suppose it was a good job no footrail installed  
                      TT

Comment

(pentire @ Oct. 26 2007,16:15) One of the great aspects of the current (soon to be former) location was it's proximity to the main monger hotels especially Majestic and Dynasty.

Only getting one months notice to quit especially after carrying out that building work is bloody awful  
                        Yeah the location was great. I hope Jay can keep the bar in the same area.... not going to Patpong!

Damn this really sucks as it's only been a year since the bar opened and it€™s become so well established by now.. and Jay just expanded the place too... but this is life in Thailand sad to say you never know what tomorrow will bring.

Good luck to Jay... I'm sure she'll figure something out.

Comment

Damn that sucks. That was my first visit to Guess this past 3weeks and looks like my last. Moving to Patpong would really blow; I don't really like that place that much.

I guess Thai laws are a bit different. Here in NYC, the new owners of a building is required to settle the current leases/finacially relocate the lease holders business to a suitable location.

Comment

Actually the thing about this that has most impressed me has been how Jay has responded to it. She was called at the weekend when we were in Singapore and told the provisional news by one of her staff. Her first reaction was "what can I do to make sure all my staff can eat" - nothing about her own income drying up or what she has invested but a total focus just on her staff. Almost brought a tear to my eye (but not quite, I am more business centred than she is obviously).

To Jay at least, this is as much about looking after her team than making money for herself. Cant say I have seen that attitude from many bar owners in Thailand.

So for that reason, she is determined to find another venue and find it fast. This is just a blip in the journey of life and not a major blow. As it is she would equally prefer to stay around Nana - just need to find suitable, reasonably priced premises, which is not easy with the amount of time she has available.

Patpong has a lot going for it and ironically as a business location, its got a lot more going for it than Nana - undoubtably she would make heaps more money, but my concern would be it might change the style of the bar. Lets see how things develop over coming weeks.

Cheers
                            Mardhi

Comment

That's a blow below the belt!..... Especially as the business was obviously finding it's feet.

I guess the new owners have other plans for the building which does not include bars - even if only in the short term.

I know there were some places down Soi 4 on the opposite side to the Swan pool bar which were apparently empty about a year ago.

As you say though full marks to Jay for thinking about her people first

RR.
                              Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                              Kahuna

Comment

Working...
                              X