X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Businesses in Thailand

Hi gents, having been to Thailand more than a few times a year for the past 4 years, and having a Thai girlfriend (who does not want to leave Thai.) I am at the stage where I want to make the move to Thailand. But I do have a problem. What the hell do I do once (if) I get there. I am basically looking for ways to make a living. My girlfriend has a job as a part time manager in a beauty salon. She makes enough money to support herself. But if I go there I can't and won't rely on her. I have looked for Thai Businesses for sale. I am not stupid enough to want to open a bar or a 7/11 franchise. I would appreciate some ideas from the guys who have experience in the business sector. My girl wants to open her own Hair and beauty salon. But she wants to finish her studies first. (She is doing business studies). Any help would be helpful. Even negative comments are welcome as long as they are constructive.

P.S. Even though I am not the smartest person in the world, I am by no means stupid either. And the thought of throwing money away does not appeal to me. So I am only at the planning stag and weighing up all the options. If I do move it probably won't be for at least 6 months or a year. I want to make sure I can do this before I commit myself. Tahnks guys in advance for the help.

Bomber69.

Forget doing business in Thailand. You'll lose your money.

Live in the country FIRST before you decide on how to make money here.

Comment

(stogie bear @ Jan. 12 2008,19:17) Forget doing business in Thailand. You'll lose your money.

Live in the country FIRST before you decide on how to make money here.
      Yes Stogie, I have heard the saying how do you make a million in Thailand, start with 2 million.

Yes I have thought about living there for a 6 or 12 month period. But again what am I going to do. I have no degree no higher education. From where I am at the moment it seems like a far off dream. But I am determined to try to make this work.

Thanks for the reply.

Bomber.

Comment

Teach... And while you are teaching: learn!

No-one is gonna make money in business here with no experience of living here.

At least teaching will give you enough to keep you fed while you are figuring out how Thailand works.

Comment

Cheers thanks mate. There was a company not so long ago looking for teachers for Thailand and south east Asia (no experience necessary). I will look into it. I do agree with you that getting to know the country and how things work will help me out in the long run.

As I said I am still in the planning stage. And information like this will help me to make a better decision than just rushing in and losing the lot.

Thanks again mate.

Comment

There was a company not so long ago looking for teachers for Thailand and...
            Forget that shit. Just get on a plane and apply for a job. You'll be earning in a week.

Comment

Almost in the same boat but fortunate in that I have work gigs in the sandpit - was thinking of binning living in the Gulf and moving to Thailand to stay several months at a time but punctuating it with regular trips back here to do work.

Can't earn there what I do here, but living here costs a fortune. But, as Stogie says, I couldn't even fathom what I would do in Thailand without living there first. Maybe that option of living there while working here intermittently would be a good grounder for takling the big plunge in its entirety.

Nice to have your take on it SB.

Comment

(stogie bear @ Jan. 12 2008,20:03)
                There was a company not so long ago looking for teachers for Thailand and...
                Forget that shit. Just get on a plane and apply for a job. You'll be earning in a week.
                You make it sound all to easy. Maybe it is just that easy. Why does everything have to be compilcated. Well you have put the idea in my head now. And you have given me what I was looking for. An answer.

Thanks Stogie.

Comment

Many people come to Thailand with good intentions and some even back it up with a little cash. Unless you live here for a while you will NEVER make a serious go of any kind of business.

Almost everyone you meet here will try to rip you off in some way shape or form. You cannot trust ANYONE, ESPECIALLY girlfriends and their 'well meaning' families. You cannot trust the mugs you meet online or in bars, either.

There are NO good ideas for starting a business here - If there were then someone would be doing them.

First decide whether you want a business for profit or a business for leisure. If you want a profitable business then do your homework and get lots of advice before you take the plunge.

If you just want to pay your way here then you have more options at your disposal.

I would recommend teaching English for a year (or living off savins) before doing anything drastic nthat would involve any kind of financial outlay.

Somethings that may work (AFTER) you are settled and established.

Property - building, buying and selling property, land or condos, etc.

Medical tourism! Especially if you are in Europe. People are crying out for cheap cosmetic surgery and they'll pay someone good cash to do all the paperwork for them.

Export - (NOT so called 'precious' stones.) Try textiles, custom made garments like uniforms etc. Furniture is also good. There are a lot of good quality furniture factories in Thailand.

Anyway - you get the idea...

Comment

You make it sound all to easy. Maybe it is just that easy...
                    It is...

Ask NHScotsman... Stranded on his first day here and within a couple of days he was working full time after turning down a few offers and even had a new full time girlfriend!

After the first day he was about ready to fly home. After the third day he'd practically retired here!

Comment

You can make serious money however its not easy but then again if it were, everybody would be doing it. One of the key things to consider, is could you do it in your home country (i.e have a business and make a good income from it) - once you have the answer to that one, odds are it may be the same in Thailand - if realistically you could not run a business in your home country, odds are totally stacked against you for making a go of it in Thailand. Business is very different here with lots of issues you may never have come across before.

Cheers
                      mardhi

Comment

Yes... Good post.

If you aren't a businessman already then you won't become one by moving here.

Having said that - you can work hard and create a niche for yourself. I know a lady who works hard doing an EBay business from Bangkok because she tired of the teaching circuit but didn't want to go home.

If your girlfriend is in school then setting her up in business may be the best business for you when she graduates.

But be prepared to lose the lot when you and she split up.

Comment

Yes I read NHScotsman's post. And I do take your advice seriously. My girlfriend does not want me to buy a business at the moment either. She said exactly the same thing you have. I will lose my money. But her solution to the problem is wait for her to finish her studies and she will start a business then I can move over there and she will take care of me. I have been going out with her for the last 2 years and she has never asked for money. Even when I offered she said no. She wants to buy a car and I offered to help her out and she said no. So when it comes to money and her I would get suspicious if she started to ask for it. I have a lot to think about. And the idea of just jumping on a plane, even though it is appealing, at the moment is out of the question.

Comment

(stogie bear @ Jan. 12 2008,20:35)

Cynical old bastard! - actually, I agree with you 100 per cent and would never have anything put in a girl's name.

Worked hard enough for my dosh so I won't be parted from it that easy... parsimonious upbringing and all that.

Comment

Cynical old bastard!

Me? You got me all wrong, brother!

Comment

Working...
                              X