X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wai

I know farangs aren't expected to wai Thais but I thought it might be a nice touch when applying for a visa at the Thai Consulate here in

How high for a consulate official?

Ha ha... I wondered how long it would take for this thorny issue to come around...

When I first cane to Thailand I was of the arrogant opinion that it should NEVER be done by a farang under any circumstances...

I've been here a while now and I am more at ease with this and have discovered when (and how) to do it without looking (and feeling) like an idiot!

I'll flesh out my thoughts on this after a few posts.

Comment

Being a Farang the correct height really isn't important..they never expect you to know.
      The two things to do are
      1) Know who to Wai...do not Wai an 'underling' only Wai an official, a senior person, or an elder member of a family you are visiting
      2) Wai at about chin level, and HOLD the wait until the acknowledge it, usually with a wai, but it could be a nod of the head or something else

The awkward part, and it happens often, is when you go to Wai and they go to shake your hand.

I probably wouldn't Wai a clerk at the Embassy. A wai is a way of establishing 'pecking order' and I wouldn't place a clerk 'above me' in a situation like that.
      "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

i just had a fantastic meal at an open-air cafe here in pattaya and when the bill came for 75 thb total, i paid the serving girl, tipped her and waied the cook who is a thai woman, my own approximate age.
        the wai was brief but sincere as the meal and the cook's smile seemed to indicate she was not in the least offended by my novice wai'ing skills. my action was spontaneous but respectful and she kindly granted me a return wai.
        perhaps in more official circumstances a more official policy should be employed, but i'm guessing it's at least as complex as deciding who shakes whose hand and when and how long do you hold it and how firmly do you shake and when do you apply the second hand and when do you add in a tip of the head or a verbal greeting and... -- and decades of business and life have yet to make any of that perfectly clear to me.
        although i do know to wait for royalty to extend their hand before extending my own.
        i hope the answer forthcoming would be one of applying common sense and sincere intention.
        then again, this being thailand i find that to be unlikely in extremis.

Comment

(thaibound @ Mar. 04 2008,16:15) the cook's smile seemed to indicate she was not in the least offended by my novice wai'ing skills.
          Just amused, I would think.  I've not seen a thai look offended in any case, they just smile a bit more at our crazy antics!!
          TT

Comment

(PigDogg @ Mar. 04 2008,07:10) How high for a consulate official?
            I'd go about as high as I would for a bank clerk (which means I wouldn't even bother).

If it was the Ambassador then I might make an effort if I required something and was in his office.

I've made kathylc  

Comment

If you look around the internet there are hundreds of conflicting opinions about how to wai, who to do it to and when to expect it. 90% of it is garbage and you'll not really learn anything from a travel guide or an expat that you can't figure out for yourself by living here for a lifetime!

Very briefly... I find myself using this form of greeting on only three occasions...

1 - Entering (and leaving) the home of a Thai; if that person is a lady older than me. (I can shake hands with a man. This is the 21st century, right?) This is a more sincere wai with the hands together and a bow.

2 - If a bar girl who I know wais me casually from the dance floor as a friendly acknowledgment of recognition, I will return the wai by putting my hands together, but no bow.

3 - Leaving the office or presence of a senior government official, or an older government official (especially if they have done me a favor or provided me with a service beyond which they were expected to do or provided that service in an efficient and courteous manner.) Hands held high and together, short bow and eyes briefly closed.

In other situations I feel uncomfortable with the use of the wai and therefore don't usually do it.

The issue of this form of subjugating greeting is extremely complicated. There are situations only for Thais and several different kinds of wai... Most of these social rules don't apply to farangs anyway and for the tourist or occasional visitor it's unlikely you'll ever be in a situation where a wai is needed.

For the immigration official who is signing your retirement visa? Take a large cheap bag of fruit for the staff who work for him. Much more likely to be appreciated and remembered.

Comment

(PigDogg @ Mar. 04 2008,07:10) ...I thought it might be a nice touch when applying for a visa at the Thai Consulate here in  
                and the answer is:

Take a large cheap bag of fruit for the staff who work for him.

I'm sure somebody living and working in New York (or wherever) will appreciate a bag of apples!

I've made kathylc  

Comment

Ha ha! A bag of Granny Smiths won't impress the folks from the Big Apple.

But it works a treat in Samut Prakan where I used to have to go every couple of months!

Comment

Working...
                  X