X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might take up teaching in Thailand

Can one do OK, on 35,000 baht a month? Would like to find a place to teach and write, and occasionally score a ladyboy.
    John Smith

I worked as a teacher in BKK for 1 year, I had an additional small income from renting my flat in london out. Fairly soon into my time there I met my LB gf so did not go to bars much, but if you are living there and look OK you can find non-pro's and will be seen as BF matrial.

i budgeted 10000 baht per month for a nice studio appartment inc electric and water, 1000 for travel (as long as your place is near BTS) gotta budget around 20000 or so every 3 months to renew your non immergant cat B visa, maybe 3-400 per week on food.

You never gonna be rich, but as long as you can take to teaching OK, u will have a great time. BTW learn all about english grammer, rembering all that stuff was the hardest thing i found about teaching!

good luck!

Comment

BTW

loads of info and jobs here:

http://www.ajarn.com/

I worked here:

http://www.ajarn.com/Educati....gua.htm

(great location for looking at and chatting up the ladyboys working in the cosmetics dept at Central Chitom on my lunch break!)

Comment

(s_jon @ Jan. 17 2007,02:41) I worked as a teacher in BKK for 1 year, I had an additional small income from renting my flat in london out. Fairly soon into my time there I met my LB gf so did not go to bars much, but if you are living there and look OK you can find non-pro's and will be seen as BF matrial.

i budgeted 10000 baht per month for a nice studio appartment inc electric and water, 1000 for travel (as long as your place is near BTS) gotta budget around 20000 or so every 3 months to renew your non immergant cat B visa, maybe 3-400 per week on food.

You never gonna be rich, but as long as you can take to teaching OK, u will have a great time. BTW learn all about english grammer, rembering all that stuff was the hardest thing i found about teaching!

good luck!
        Hope you weren't teaching english, with that spelling!!!

seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

No problem with the grammar. I've been teaching ESL for 8 years now.
          John Smith

Comment

LOL yeah I am crap at spelling, was winging it abit but it was the only option to stay with my GF at the time, eventually got her a visa and back to the UK and could resume my normal career!

If you are an experanced and qualified ESL teacher you could make a whole lot more than 35K a month, some of the experanced teahers made 60K +

Comment

You never gonna be rich, but as long as you can take to teaching OK, u will have a great time...
              That about summed it up for me!

Comment

You are never going to be rich working for wages, best to have a good time.

Comment

(moe666 @ Jan. 17 2007,05:40) You are never going to be rich working for wages, best to have a good time.
                  CEO of Exxon mobil does OK
                  seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

Looking at you avator KL, is there a double wedding on the cards with Stogie  

Dave...
                    Your got yer Mother in a whirl
                    Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

Why work in LOS?
                      Just go out everynight and enjoy  
                      You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

I am not too concerned about compensation.
                        I am most concerned about flexibilty.
                        I noticed Inlingua hires part time teachers.  What would work for me is to have a few weeks off every couple of months or or so.
                        Am also interested in university teaching even if the pay is crap.  I never taught.  I don't have an advanced degree.  Are there opportunities to teach math or statistics or economics or business (in English)??

Comment

I did some work for Inlingua CTD, teaching business English to staff of international companys, many around the Bangna Trad road, was pretty basic stuff though, teaching from a set course set by Inlingua, I perfered this to treaching spoiled little kids. The only problem is some of the places are hard to get to on public transport, (i was lucky, my gf lent me her car) also the CTD courses have set contacts, so you need to complete the course to get your bonus, so better to take your weeks off between, no so flexable but I had enough time to see most places in Thailand and few other countries in Asia in between. I have heard that some teachers do very well at Universitys, but you needed more qualifications than I had to get the job. I did some private IT training, (My back ground is in IT support) but less than 10% of my income came from that.

There was a fairly high turn over of teachers and once you are 'in the system' you could hear about other jobs with higher salaries, I didn't bother cos once I had spent enough time with my girl to be considered as her 'same sex' partner I was off with her back to London to earn some real money again :-))

was a great experance though, and I will live in Thailand again, but only when I have made enough not to really need to work there!

good luck with all your plans.

Comment

Sounds good but 35k/month doesnt sosund enough for me. perhaps if you are willing to live in a shitty 4,000 baht/month flat but i would live like western satndard. A Thai girl I know rents a large studio in the building where my flat is for 5,000/month. decent place it is. 300-400 baht/week on food?? too low. Think about it you will be eating at the food stalls every day. if I haad to do that, i wouldnt bother moving there. you are on too tight a budget/tightrope. When i move tere fulltime sshould be in 2008 if I could maake 30,000/month and i would ave another about 30,000 coming in from investments plus another 30,000/month that my partner makes thats 90,000/month. my monthly mortgage is only 10,000 so we should be able to do well on the rest thank you very much. thats the plan anyways....stogie we have to discuus in feb!!!!

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!

Comment

sorry the 3-400 per week on food was a typo, ment 3-400 a day(less when my GF was in the mood to cook). I had another 30K a month from my property in London, but the money from teaching was enough for a reasonable life style, most thai profesionals I met (accounts, IT support ppl) earned less. I used the money from London for travel(took gf most places around asia so that got expensive) helping her out with her sisters car payments (I was the main one using the car so that was fair enough) and other marterial stuff I had gown used to having been lucky enough to have been bought up in a rich western country

Comment

Working...
                              X