X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyeglasses in Thailand?

being a good boy, i actually searched this whole forum and found that while there are two threads re dentists, there are none re optometrists/opticians/eyeglasses. at least none i could find. so...

last month i needed a new pair of prescription glasses while in pattaya and after a bit of comparison shopping i opted for Charoen on 2nd road. i found a satisfactory frame and got a decent price, so i ordered. it took a week, but i had been warned, so no problem. the problem was, once the glasses arrived, they could not 'fit' the frames to my head. it only required a slight reshaping of one earpiece (or whatever you call the thing that extends from the lenses to keep the glasses on your ears), a process i have seen performed innumerable times by heating up the piece so it can be molded without breaking. instead this 'optician' just began to bend the piece and just prior to its snapping i suggested he stop. i repeatedly asked if there were *anything* they could do to help short of breaking the glasses.

no. and if they did break when they tried to help, then too bad for me. so i took my lopsided new glasses and went on my way.

over a month later, back in pattaya, i lost a lense from my prescription sunglasses. again i price-shopped, but i did *not* return to the Charoen shop. i got a good price at another shop, also on 2nd road, and not until i paid the deposit did i discover it was also a member of the Charoen chain! okay. okay. different shop. different people. better attitude. i went ahead. they adjusted my prescription slightly and sitting in that little room with the big "E" on the wall it seemed fine.

2 days later my glasses were ready. they looked fine. i paid, i took them, i headed on my way. a half-block later i tripped on the curb. two blocks after that i noticed i had no peripheral vision as i failed to recognize the proximity of a moving motorbike. since i got the sunglasses *primarily* for playing golf, this was going to be a problem. and when i stepped into the market and took the glasses off, my eyes struggled to re-focus. and my head hurt.

shopping finished, i returned to the optician to ask if i might expect these problems to lessen with time, or was i just screwed. the *very first thing* he said to me, before i'd even explained the situation, was:

I CAN NOT REPLACE YOUR GLASSES!

excuse me?

YOU APPROVED PRESCRIPTION. I CAN NOT HELP YOU!

i managed to say i only wanted to know if these problems might be temporary, but before i finished that word, he repeated:

I CAN NOT TAKE BACK GLASSES. NOT MY FAULT.

so much for 'customer service'.

on a side note, i have to bemoan the rapidly declining competency and pleasantness of much of the thai service industry. from housekeepers to waiters to desk clerks -- to opticians. pretty soon it will be as bad as the rest of the world.

so, if anyone has a good, helpful, qualified optometrist to recommend i'd like to take my next business away from the charoen chain.

I highly recommend a shop called Pantip Optical, located in Pantip Plaza on the ground floor. The optician there is very professional and will do free adjustments for your frames (even those not purchased from him). It is a family run business and he has two shops.

I have had 4 sets of glasses made with them over the past 7 years and no problems (except the last two pair have had to be bifocals - ahh the vagaries of middle age! )

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
    Membership Levels
    The Rookie Thread
    New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
    Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

thanx rxp

now please forgive my ignorance, but where is pantip?

Comment

Pantip Plaza - the computer center in Bangkok, in the Pratunam district. Not far from Diamond Condominiums.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
        Membership Levels
        The Rookie Thread
        New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
        Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

many thanks.
          good to know.
          i'll check it out when next in bkk.

Comment

Hello Thaibound,

Here's a link to a map Pantip - you can zoom in by clicking under the small map in the top right corner.

It's not the best but it does give an idea of the general location.

Most of the taxi drivers know it any way. Just say Pan-Tip Khrap.

RR.
            Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
            Kahuna

Comment

thnx RR,
              i was actually wondering if it might be in pattaya
              but i've caught a clue now

Comment

Buying eye glasses in Thailand is like buying a new car.

They offer you a price and scrutinize your face for your expressions... offer discounts... have a word with the managers 'backstage'(!)... phone head office and finally offer you the best deal known to man or beast!

This pantomime seems to work for the locals because eyeglasses are part of your image here and a status symbol. They cost a months wages and they are marketed to the well heeled (if not well sighted) young urbanites that are increasingly spending their hard fought for baht on rubbish.

Me? - I go to Seacon Square and get my reading and 'long view' glasses for 40 baht a pair. Done it for years and it works for me.

Get your glasses at home. It's a lot less hassle a lot less money and a lot less surprising when it comes to results!

I've been tested for glasses here and bought a few pairs (even my first bi-focals) but the results are always crap and I don't have any of those pairs left... lenses pop out, crappy frames, etc...

Comment

40 Baht a pair!

I've been pay 100

I could take the bus to Seacon Square and back and still have some change.

RR.
                  Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                  Kahuna

Comment

In Pattaya I recommend Pattaya Optical...just up the road from Tops...175/10 Central Rd.
                    I had glasses made there (3days) ..8 monts later i go back to shop because I lost the one of the picess that sits on your nose..
                    No problem he says under warranty and replaced it free..For me that was first in Thailand..
                    So many Ladyboys so little time..

Comment

Can I recommend Charoen Optical in Times Square, Sukhumvit Road?

I just mention it because I've used that branch for my latest 2 pairs of specs.   And have had no difficulties at all over 2 or 3 years (and about 6 pairs).   In fact I had the same experience as you on lenses once, and they replaced them without question, after re-checking my prescription.   I usually get about 20% discount on the marked prices, recently up to 25% ... 'as you such good customer khun T'.   Which means I have a good heart and probably should push for the Thai customer discount (of 35%+ I believe!).

With rimless specs, I tend to break the lenses from time to time (you know, everyday stuff like being stamped on by a ladyboy )   So they supply 're-builds' at a reasonable price.   And last week replaced nose pieces, free of charge, same as billy.

Different branches, but just my experience - in stark contrast to your own tb, which was totally unacceptable.
                      TT

Comment

Working...
                      X