First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympic Torch In Bangkok

DISRUPTION OF TORCH RELAY
    You'll be playing with fire
    Any foreigner who takes part in protests during the run will be kicked out for good, police warn

Published on April 18, 2008

Daily xpress

Protesters disrupting tomorrow's Olympic-torch relay will be arrested immediately and prosecuted for public disturbance, police say.

Foreigners will be expelled and banned from returning. Those with residency will have it revoked permanently, spokesman Lt-General Watcharaphol Prasarnratchakij says.

"If they come here and engage in unlawful acts, they must be prosecuted ... if they engage in illegal activity, we will proceed according to the law by revoking their visa," he says.

"We have prepared everything to ensure the smoothness of the ceremony."

A Government House source says there are groups in this country motivated to disrupt the relay, including human-rights groups and the local Falun Gong.

Additional police have been deployed to the Plaza Athenee Hotel, where the torch and Olympic flame are housed ahead of tomorrow's 3pm run.

There will be as many as 2,000 policemen on duty along the route, according to the Olympic Committee of Thailand.

Four police vehicles and six officers will accompany the relay at all times. A bomb squad and a canine crew are on standby as is a special weapons and tactics outfit.

The heavy security highlights concerns here and the government's desire to avoid similar chaos to that which occurred overseas.

Free Tibet Network member Pokpong Lawansiri disagrees with the stance against pro-Tibet protests.

"Under the Constitution, an individual - local or foreigner - has the right to rally for a cause," he says. "Peaceful rally should be allowed".

He expects about 100 members to protests.

Prime ministerial aide Akhaphol Sorrasuchart says protests can continue as long as there's no run disruption and they do not break other laws, including traffic, or damage property.

A number of locations have been prepared for protests, although he will not say where.

The relay route through normally crowded Bangkok has been cordoned off with barricades to deter protests.

Rallying point

Networks and organisations planning pro-Tibet activities tomorrow include:

>> Free Tibet Network, Thai Labour Campaign Group, Chulalongkorn University social critics, Activists for Social Change, Young People for Democracy Movement and Workers Democracy.

>> Others include Reporters Without Borders and China pro-democracy and pro-Taiwan groups.

Who gives a hoot about the Olympics! The whole thing is a rallying point for politicians and the sports and synchronized patriotism have little space on the headlines these days.

The Thais, as usual, are acting a bit heavy handed though sucking the cocks of the Chinese! Thailand is pretty much run by the Chinese anyway.

This will turn out to be the worst PR exercise since Margaret Thatcher woke up and said "OK, lads... I've got an idea and it's called Poll Tax!"

Comment

Every destination the torch has gone to has been shortened.....first it was 37 miles then 6.7 miles then 3.2 miles. Most of the athletes wont even be staying near the stadium when it kicks off due to the smog..I think the French team are lodging somewhere in Siberia.

I see a program recently about Tibet relating to a load of back packing dreamers who thought it was an earthly paradise only to find upon arrival a Burger King in place of some ancient grotto..ha ha ...

Comment

Um, a Torch run in BKK Thailand during Songkran. Is that wise?
        You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

Do not douse my flame!

The Olympics are a statistical feast:

World Population 6.5 Billion - 194 Countries (as of last night!) but includes Vatican City who do not compete!

Global Contestant pool:

Chinese 1.3 Billion - 20%
          India 1.1 Billion - 17%
          USA 0.3 Billion - 4%
          Russia 0.14 Billion - 2%
          Australia 0.02 Billion - 0.3%

Comment

I think it is a good move and a model for other countries to follow. Trouble makers from the outside who absolutely refuse to respect the wishes of Thai's to hold an important event the way it was meant to be held are no friends of Thailand and shouldn't be here.

Comment

Sounds like the Thai's are being rather heavy handed and I'm not really sure to what purpose although I guess they are looking to their Chinese trade.

On the other hand you have to remember it's not in the Thai nature to protest in the same way we do in the west.

RR.
              Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
              Kahuna

Comment

(Road Runner @ Apr. 18 2008,09:33) Sounds like the Thai's are being rather heavy handed and I'm not really sure to what purpose although I guess they are looking to their Chinese trade.
                I disagree.

I think the Thais have a right to say how they expect foreign guests to behave in their country.

I'd kick out half the cunts that slob about over here for far less, in fact some of them just for being here.

I've made kathylc  

Comment

Am i included on that list, monkey
                  i love t-girls

Comment

(seanbeag7 @ Apr. 18 2008,19:48) Am i included on that list, monkey  
                    Forum members are exempt...

I've made kathylc  

Comment

(Monkey @ Apr. 18 2008,19:45) I think the Thais have a right to say how they expect foreign guests to behave in their country.
                      Hello Monkey,

I did not say they did not have the right to decide - only that I was not sure about their purpose.

I agree with Stogie that the olympics have nothing to do with sport and everything to do with politics.
                      Even Adolf Schickelgruber understood that and he was only a house painter.

As to Jadelite's comment that it's an important event?
                      If it went away I would not miss it. I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to find a TV channel which is not featuring olympic coverage.

RR.
                      Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                      Kahuna

Comment

Working...
                      X