Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health insurance - do/should/can you?

This is directed at all the lads living in

Just wondered do you guys all take out private health cover in LOS given most of you wouldn't have PR?

And secondly, what are the costs each year for those that take it out?

Azza

A worthy trip report

Great question, always wondered that myself. Curious to see that if Thai insurance companies even cover farangs - given the Thai system for everything else, I'll guess not. If you did have to get health coverage from an intl' firm I'm guessing the cost would be quite high - I know that without subsidy from my company my health insurance premiums would run about $5k USD a year.
    I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

Read about my mate Phil and his experiences with Thai health insurance!

A great read...

Lots of info on this around. Maybe more specific questions could be a way to get better information.

Comment

I just pay cash as I go and need services, seems to be dam cheap that way to
        You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

You should always have good health insurance when your away..
          I over do the insurance because of the surgery's i had and when i
          see the amount of RTA's in and around Pattaya...Best not take cahnces,
          I value my life and my health!
          x
          Forgot how this forum works  

Comment

Just trying to differentiate the question here. Travel insurance is recommended when ever traveling any where. You need to buy this before your leave your country of domicile.

In terms of living in LOS, I imagine there is no health care so you would need to take out a package. There are international coverages that shouldn't run that much, but of course with stuff like this, you get what you pay for.

Comment

There are some great reliable companies in Thailand that provide clear and understandable coverage for a reasonable cost.

Comment

(azza33 @ Jun. 26 2008,03:55) This is directed at all the lads living in

Just wondered do you guys all take out private health cover in LOS given most of you wouldn't have PR?

And secondly, what are the costs each year for those that take it out?

guys this is not and ambiguous question...

It's for those Living in Thailand, as stated at the beginning, its not directed at travel insurance.

And for those who have decided to live in Thailand, that don't have PR (permanent residency of Thailand, thus not covered by any possible Thailand free public hospital service) what is the going rate for private health cover over there? for a reasonable level of care, not cheap charlie stuff...

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

You should have health insurance, no doubt about it

I use
                  http://www.msig-asia.com/regional/index.asp

Card says 'Platinum' - no idea what the different plans are (someone else did the research for me)

I think it costs 19,000 /year
                  I used it once for an overnight hospital stay that was 17,000 (insurance covered 12K, I paid 5K)

Prices are a lot less than in the west, but not as cheap as they used to be. I would guess that private care in Bangkok has gone up 50% from 3 years ago.

If you do check-in for overnight they will usually put you in the best class of room, if you want to save money ask about different room types ( I never bothered, and always stayed in private room )
                  "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

Thanks Snick

And ouch!!

5K out of pocket for a night? thats ugly... you wouldn't want to be too sick for long at that rate....

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

I'm looking for a quality plan with extremely high coverage limits that covers just about anything. It must also cover accidents and emergencies in the USA. To keep costs down I'll probably go with a high deductible.

Two plans I'm considering:

Global Medical Insurance

NZI

Welcome comments re these two plans or suggestions for other high limit comprehensive policies.

Comment

Health Insurance is a must. Any insurance is about risk management - you need to consider what you deem necessary cover for you.

I use an agent/broker for all my insurances here.

If you join some associations/societies you can get reasonable discounts as well.
                        Pattaya Sports Club - 2nd Road Soi 3
                        Pattaya ExPats association

Here is one illustration:
                        Company Thai Health Insurance Co Ltd
                        Sample age 55
                        Premium 15,000 per annum.
                        Cover:
                        Room and nursing per day 4,000 Baht
                        General expenses 50,000 Baht
                        Surgical fee (per procedure) 100,000
                        Out Patient (1 time per day) 1,500 (interesting this includes STD treatment!)
                        Doctors visit 2,000 per day
                        Emergency Out Patient 10,000 - accident etc
                        X Ray/Lab test (per annum) 15,000

On the cost side
                        Hospital room etc 5,000 per night - depends on the hospital selected
                        Major procedure - eg Triple By Pass can be 1,000,000 Baht.

As my agent pointed out to me there are some things to consider:
                        In your own country you may be on a waiting list - here it is immediate if you can Pay
                        Hospitals vary - the Bangkok/Pattaya hospital group is the most expensive
                        Taking the Triple By Pass as an example - 1million Baht is 20,000 USD or 10,000 UKP or 13,000 Euros

I have no idea what the cost would be for the same procedure actually, in these countries, but would guess it is far more.

I would recommend anyone planning to stay here/retire here to retain a Western (Euro/US/Oz) Gold credit card as the limits on these cards would cover most of any unfortunate illness. You need a card with about 1 million baht, equivalent, available funds/credit.

Some Gold cards DO cover travel insurance automatically so your first year could be covered by that option by implying the initial trip was a 'vacation'.
                        If you need the name of an agent PM me and I will gladly pass on the name and telephone number.

I do know one guy who actually retained his International BUPA health insurance - it covers the whole world - ironically excluding the US which says something about medical costs in the US.

Thailand is also marketed, in many countries, for its low cost dental work, eye laser treatments, opticians and of course cosmetic surgery.

Another tip. If you are in good health then take a thorough Medical exam (about 20,000 Baht) before taking Insurance - this way, assuming you get an unblemished report, you avoid the Insurance 'bale out' clause - "Pre diagnosed illness". Always read the small print.

Some policies your medical card is accepted as payment - others require the patient to pay and subsequently recover their costs from the insurance themselves.

For minor ailments there is an abundance of 'Clinics' where you just pay as you go.

Finally - "Where will you live in Thailand". Hospitals vary with Bangkok and Pattaya having the better International hospitals. Chiang Mai is another major city with good hospitals. Khon Khaen is the home to the major Medical Universities in Thailand. If you plan to live in some 'backwater' then you do need to consider where your local hospital, with English speaking staff, is located.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Nice post Rossco

I just noticed tho, maximum cover per operation is 100,000 baht, yet something like a triple bypass is 1,000,000 baht.... whats the point if we are not fully covered for such events?

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

Why back yourself to get sick ?

Comment

The illustration was just that. You can buy more cover but your premium will increase.

A major surgery (life threatening) is about 1 million baht in total - surgery/room etc etc.
                              The room is covered for every day up to a max of 4K.
                              1 million baht is a lot BUT in USD that is 30K USD or in UKP 15K or in Euros 20K and we are talking serious surgery.

Of the total of 1 million cost of operation:
                              100K of surgery is covered
                              + Room at 4K per day
                              + 50K General expense
                              + 2K per day doctors visit
                              + 15K in Xray etc.

You need to break the 1 million down and then see which elements are covered.
                              Roughly speaking about 200K is covered out of the 1 million in the illustration.

Back to the original question "Should you take cover" the answer is "Yes" and cover is available at lower costs than the West.

Another point re insurance is that when a company covers you, and you continue cover with them, they are obligated to continue cover when you are 60+ PROVIDED that you have had cover, with them, prior to 60. Obviously the premium will increase.

Hope it helps - if you need the name of a broker to guide/advise you and secure cover let me know (PM me) and I will send you details.

Comment

Working...
                              X