Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thailand Computer Crime Act: Warning!

Warning for internet users in Thailand:

the thai Computer Crime Act will come into force on 23rd August.

among other measures, ISPs must keep a 90 day backlog of internet traffic data (i.e. which sites and pages you visited along with the protocol you used, etc.).
    internet cafés must keep a copy of the IDs of their customers.

In my eyes, this can be dangerous for all people who maintain their sites over the net, because I don't think thai authorities will just leave these masses of information alone, if they can be searched automatically by adequate programs.

So my advice is to use proxies or VPNs.

Be warned

It is also illegal to smoke in bars, engage in prostitution, drive a motorcycle without a helmet, talk on the phone while driving and fly to England when you are supposed to be in criminal court.
    "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

(manarak @ Aug. 14 2008,16:42) internet cafés must keep a copy of the IDs of their customers.
      Ohh yes! That's going to be a really effective, enforcable measure!

RR.
      Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
      Kahuna

Comment

that's not the same. it is automated.

the log files today are anyway already kept by the ISPs for some time.

to avoid trouble, usually they just pretend they don't exist or are already deleted when police asks.

with the new law, it just takes a few terabytes of storage.

AND the police can look through the logs when they want, without search warrant.

bet what will happen when a thai will want a farang to fuck off?

Comment

(Road Runner @ Aug. 15 2008,05:02)
          (manarak @ Aug. 14 2008,16:42) internet cafés must keep a copy of the IDs of their customers.
          Ohh yes!  That's going to be a really effective, enforcable measure!                  

RR.
          Right, now I'm nervous...
          Time for that fake ID
          You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

I already got one that says my name is Snick...
            "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

Mine says T. Shinawatra

Comment

In the USA most ISP's keep a 6 month log of your net activities... the US phone companies keep logs of all the calls you made and received (phone numbers).

Big Brother is watching you  

Comment

Another great one, on the same day every computer in Thailand is supposed to start using the time synchronization service of the Thai National Institute of Metrology.

Pol Maj-Gen Dr Pian Tothamrong, director of the institute, said the institute simply required that any organization, which used its computer as part of its public service, to set its computer time based on the clock of the institute.

He said the directive of the institute will take effect on August 23.
                  Nb. That the announcement doesn't include any direction for using the service (which I am sure would crash if even 1% of the computers in Thailand started to use it)

Comment

(Snick @ Aug. 15 2008,07:59) That the announcement doesn't include any direction for using the service (which I am sure would crash if even 1% of the computers in Thailand started to use it)
                    If it does crash and the clock stops - then all the computers in Thailand should be perfectly syncronized.

At least then they will be right once a day!

RR.
                    Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

Kahuna

Comment

(BAM @ Aug. 15 2008,07:39) In the USA most ISP's keep a 6 month log of your net activities... the US phone companies keep logs of all the calls you made and received (phone numbers).
                      It's pretty much the same in the UK - though in both countries the authorities need a search warrant to access the records.

Anyway if you are really paranoid - GCHQ Cheltenham has facilities for monitoring forums, e-mails, mobile phone calls and text messages.
                      Not sure how many they can/do check per minute/hour but it's a large number. The software picks up on combinations of key words.

The US certainly has the same ability and I would expect so do quite a few other countries.

RR.

Kahuna

Comment

Let's give it a test then...

making a bomb in the cellar - see you in the imams house - my terrorist mate - anthrax in the post...

Hang on... there's someone at the door... Oh, quite a few people actualy...

Be right back!

Comment

(Road Runner @ Aug. 15 2008,10:43) Anyway if you are really paranoid  -  GCHQ Cheltenham has facilities for monitoring forums, e-mails, mobile phone calls and text messages.
                          Add to this the ANPR system (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) which is growing almost daily and not only can they listen to your calls but follow your movements around the country.
                          Facial Recognition is getting better and better all the time, soon they will also be able to follow your movements on foot.

Just imagine if all these databases could be connected in real-time, (GPS from phone, Credit/Debit cards, traffic cameras, CCTV) you could be tracked from your house to your destination and any purchases you made on the way recorded as well.

Big Brother is out there, it's just a matter of time...

Personally I don't care, I have nothing to hide and couldn't give a fuck if they know what I had for lunch and where I ate it.

I've made kathylc  

Comment

Anyone have good recommendations for a VPN service to use with Vista?

Comment

Personally I don't care, I have nothing to hide and couldn't give a fuck if they know what I had for lunch and where I ate it.
                              Until of course someone hacks into something, gets all that info and commits identity theft.

Technology is great, but it is also a potentially very dangerous thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X