Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I get a retirement visa, can I teach?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the information in the above quote is incorrect!

Comment

A 60 day tourist visa gets just one extention under normal circumstances... for an additional 30 days. the cost is 1,800 baht.  You can then enter the kingdom on a 'visa on arrival' for a further 90 days but after that you NEED a new visa stamp IN YOUR PASSPORT.

Theoretically you can stay here forever on 90 day tourist visas (60 + 30) and 3 X 30 day 'visa on arrival' stamps... but you'll still have to leave the country every 30 days!

I don't know how you came up with 8 months!

The retirement visa DOES exist. Check your facts... in fact it's pretty easy to come by and extend, also. The 'O A visa' has to be applied for IN THAILAND AFTER you have been issued your 'O' visa...

Don't look at ThaiVisa.com for information. Those clowns don't know their arse from their elbow!

In future, incorrect information from any poster (including me!) will be deleted. It's too confusing to have all this guesswork being posted here.

Comment

I am happy to be adjudged as incorrect but this is straight from the Royal Thai consulate directions.

The Tourist Visa is available with one, two or three entries.

The double (2) and triple (3) entry visas have a validity of six months from date of issue.

With a TWO or THREE entry Tourist Visa you must ensure you enter Thailand on your final visit
        before expiry of the visa which will be 6 months from date of issue.

With a 2 or 3 entry visa you can re-enter for further stays of 60 or 30 days until you have used up all entries. If you have a visa with more than one entry and wish to remain in Thailand it is necessary to visit a Thai Immigration Border Control Office about 2-3 days before the stay expires to activate your next 60 or 30 days stay. You can keep doing this until you have used all your entries provided this is done within the validity of the visa. At the end of your only or final stay you must leave Thailand and you cannot re-enter until you obtain a new visa.

I don't know how you came up with 8 months!
        Perhaps i stuffed up but it does appears 6 months! - I thought you could get 4 re-entries (max) , but it appears 3 is now the max.

The tourist via as opposed to the visa on arrival by passes the rule of the amount of time you can stay in LOS as a tourist.

If you get a single entry tourist visa then the process you have indicated above is correct.

BTW.... i only say that O-A is not a retirement visa as i remember the phuket tourist authority Q & A refuses to class it as a retirement visa.  

The current forms i can find on the Thai consulates in  Australia and UK all appear to be offering the double entry tourist visa at a minimum.

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

Thank you Stogie, and Azza.
          Unfortunately the whole thing still seems confusing to me...whatever..I'm not smart
          Today I called the Thai consulate here in Hong Kong and they said to apply for the extension after 4-5 days, in case of tourist entry visa, after you get in the country..God knows why!

Also, about the one year (??) business multiple-entries visa, it's necessary to have a letter from a Thai company that sponsors/invites you to come to Thailand, and copy of their shareholders list plus something else the guy uttered something that I didn't understand.
          Do only what you think it's good for you, and not what others think should be good for you!

Comment

(Looker @ Nov. 03 2008,09:24) Unfortunately the whole thing still seems confusing to me...whatever..I'm not smart
            If you visit this link, you will see all the visa types on the left side of the page: http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/visa/Tourist.aspx

These apply to most passport holders from Western countries.

Comment

That's a pretty good link and probably comes closest to telling it like it is...

...but the interpretation of the rules vary enormously.

Where I get my visa in the UK there is no need for any paperwork about your financial health. You sign a waiver saying you can afford to live there and that's it.

Also - 800K baht in the bank seems to be thrown about as a benchmark figure for OA visas - but this is wildly flexible! The country won't kick you out if you haven't got this in the bank and you have been supporting a wife and family.

Also - you can negotiate! For example if you can come up with a pension (income) and half the 800K then if the immigration official is in a good mood you'll get signed off easily!

It is confusing but a little persistence and patience will pay off...

Comment

(Looker @ Nov. 03 2008,21:24)  
                Thank you Stogie, and Azza.
                Unfortunately the whole thing still seems confusing to me...whatever..I'm not smart    
                Today I called the Thai consulate here in Hong Kong and they said to apply for the extension after 4-5 days, in case of tourist entry visa, after you get in the country..God knows why!
                Looker unfortunately you are a US citizen it appears!

The tourist visa has slightly different rules its appears for you.
                It seems it is limited to 3 months validity and single entry.

Luckily for UK & Aussies we have different rules - 6 months and multiple entries.

And to be even more annoying some countries get 60 days per entry, others 30.  

So the best bet is read the website of your LOCAL Thai consulate. Give them a call, if you are interested in the tourist visa, specifically ask can you purchase a multiple entry tourist visa because i suspect if you don't ask a direct question you won't get the answers.

Hey i just found the form for Visa application on that US site: http://www.thaiembdc.org/form/1a001.pdf

Now If you look at the middle in section 1, it does request how many entries you would like.

You could always tick the tourist visa section and request 2 entries and see if you can get away with it!!

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

(Stogie @ Nov. 03 2008,21:51) Where I get my visa in the UK there is no need for any paperwork about your financial health. You sign a waiver saying you can afford to live there and that's it.
                  Hi Stogie, I am curious about your Thai visa.

I, like many others, have searched for the information regarding how to stay in LOS for a longer period.
                  (Multiple entry tourist visa for us UK & Aussies seems okay but a little cumbersome).

Now i did read about the O visa for visiting friends (extended stay) and of course the O-A (for 50+ for retirees).

Now i am making an assumption, but i assume you are on an O visa, which requires "evidence" you can support yourself whilst in Thailand. (hence you signing a waiver)

Apart from the support waiver, what are the requirements for your visa? Do you need a letter for example from a Thai citizen saying you are friend and coming to stay?

I think everyone is curious about how you can obtain the O visa for longer stays.

Appreciate further details.

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

(azza33 @ Nov. 04 2008,03:25) [Looker unfortunately you are a US citizen it appears!
                    I'm not actually but the guy at the consulate said 3 months anyway  
                    Whatever..seems a bit too complicated for me...
                    Will do it if will really be worthy the troubles. Other countries don't make so many complications.
                    Will check it while in BKK soon.
                    Do only what you think it's good for you, and not what others think should be good for you!

Comment

(Looker @ Nov. 04 2008,17:24)
                      (azza33 @ Nov. 04 2008,03:25) [Looker unfortunately you are a US citizen it appears!
                      I'm not actually but the guy at the consulate said 3 months anyway  
                      Whatever..seems a bit too complicated for me...
                      Will do it if will really be worthy the troubles. Other countries don't make so many complications.
                      Will check it while in BKK soon.
                      Sorry mate on the nationality assumption  

Well for whats it worth, whilst it may seem complex, from my understanding you just download the form, fill it out, request the certain number of entries, attach the payment, send it to your local embassy and pray!  

Worst case is you loose a few bucks.

But then again we are talking about    

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

(azza33 @ Nov. 04 2008,17:38) [Sorry mate on the nationality assumption  

Well for whats it worth, whilst it may seem complex, from my understanding you just download the form, fill it out, request the certain number of entries, attach the payment, send it to your local embassy and pray!  

Worst case is you loose a few bucks.

But then again we are talking about    
                        No worries mate

Will go to BKK end of November, and will try to hook up with the BM who lives in there and see a bit what's the real thing. I may have been to BKK 30+ times in recent times but never worried about since onbly stayed a week at most.

Comment

Good luck Looker, if you get some good info, please post something.

I've tried in the past - and talk about vague answers..... hmmmm  

If any BM is on an O visa, under 50, not using the investment nor teaching in-clause, please let us know how, in general terms, we can get this longer stay visa.

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

Working...
                          X