X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-paid data service

I *think* there are pre-paid SIM cards that come with the ability to use wireless data to access e-mail, internet, streaming video, etc... Basically, I need to be able to check my e-mails but I don't want to have the hassle of being tied to my laptop. Also, I'll be doing some travelling overland so using MSN or browsing the net would be nice too.

Does anyone use it and which provider, based on your experience has relatively good connection speeds. I'm aware that most networks in Thailand are still on EDGE and 3G is not prevalent at all.
    I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

SIM modem speed is pretty slow but there is a wide push for Hutch. It's everywhere but not cheap. Dunno if it's any good though.

But if you are only checking email then any SIM card will do.

I have an ASUS phone running Windows 6.1 but the WiFi is pretty crap so I always default to EDGE and it's just fine. (I'm with DTAC.)

The website...

Comment

Get a 1-2-call SIM from AIS, put some money in the phone then call 1175 and tell them you want to use GPRS/Edge on your phone.  They will send you the settings over the air, you accept them and you are then up and running using data. You can run java apps, check email, browse web on your phone, etc.  No laptop necessary.

Cost is 1 baht / minute but you can buy a package (6 hours for 50 baht, 20 hours for 100 baht) which, as you can see, brings your cost way, way down.  You can also plug in your phone to your laptop with a data cable and use your minutes for "dial up".  Speed depends on where you are in relation to the tower, and also how busy the phone network it.  When using Edge, it is not "fast" but it does the job for email and text (I'm using it right now to post this message, my current download speed 188 kbps and my current upload speed is 91 kbps). 5 baht per hour (charged by the minute that I am online!  Not bad.

DTAC and True support GPRS/Edge too but no where near the speed and coverage and cost of AIS 1-2-call (this is from experience, I have tried them all). If you are in BKK or Pattaya, coverage and speed would be similar with all companies. Cost might be very different, though. I've been with 1-2-call for two years and couldn't be happier with cost and coverage of GPRS/Edge.

I can be anywhere in Thailand, even an island that has no Internet, like I am now and I can easily get my email and keep up to date. Depending on what you do for a living, this can be critical. AIS GPRS/Edge has never failed me, anywhere in Thailand.

Comment

(EyeMahk @ Feb. 16 2009,10:21) AIS GPRS/Edge has never failed me, anywhere in Thailand...
        Good tip, thanks...

I'll check this out before my next trip to Hua Hin...

Comment

(Stogie @ Feb. 16 2009,07:42) SIM modem speed is pretty slow but there is a wide push for Hutch. It's everywhere but not cheap. Dunno if it's any good though.

But if you are only checking email then any SIM card will do.

I have an ASUS phone running Windows 6.1 but the WiFi is pretty crap so I always default to EDGE and it's just fine. (I'm with DTAC.)

The website...
          I know someone that tested the hutch service in a cab trip from BKK to Pattaya and he said it worked very well... better then anything else he'd ever used... and he€™s got everything you can think of.

It was the top priced package listed here;
          http://www.hutch.co.th/mbi/1x/postpa...o_12500_en.htm

It's a USB device for use with a Laptop.

Comment

I saw a very cool PC in Pantip last week. In the big shop on the 2nd floor (DataIT or something like that, I believe.)

It is the Asus EEEPC, but it has a slot for a SIM card. I believe that this unit is called the 901-3.5g. This one, I think:
            http://www.pcresource.co.th/compute....18.html

The idea is that you buy a SIM card with a data package (like the one from 1-2-call) and you leave this SIM in the PC. Everytime you want to surf, it uses either Wifi or the data plan on the SIM. You'll be online anywhere you go, and not tie up your phone or phone number while you are surfing.

Comment

Ais, True and DTAC all have shops at Siam Paragon; don't know about Hutch.
              The shops are actual helpful (!!!) and they can setup your phone for internet, MMS, etc... in a minute.

You can also subscribe to 'pushmail' if you want all your email sent to your mobile.
              "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

Cool guys. Thanks for the responses!
                I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

Working...
                X