X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian author pardoned

SYDNEY (Reuters) - An Australian author jailed for three years for insulting Thailand's crown prince in a little-read 2005 novel has been freed and is expected to return home shortly, the Australian government said on Saturday.

The case against 41-year-old Harry Nicolaides, who was arrested in August, was one of a slew of lese-majeste investigations in Thailand that rights groups say are stifling freedom of speech and political dissent.

A spokesman for Australia's foreign ministry welcomed the decision by Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej to grant a royal pardon.

"We expect Mr Nicolaides will shortly be reunited with his family in Australia," the spokesman said, adding the author and teacher had been released from jail on Friday.

The ministry spokesman said Australia appreciated the "expeditious handling of the pardon" by the Thai authorities.

Earlier Nicolaides' Australian lawyer Mark Dean said that the pardon was granted on Thursday.

"We are very pleased that Harry's case has been able to be processed as quickly as it has been," Dean told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

Lese-majeste, or insulting the monarchy, is a very serious offence in Thailand, where many people regard 81-year-old King Bhumibol Adulyadej as semi-divine. It is punishable by up to 15 years in prison although convictions, especially of foreigners, are rare and are normally followed quickly by a pardon.

A Swiss man, Roland Jufer, was sentenced to 10 years in 2007 for spraying black paint on pictures of the king but was pardoned at Thai New Year in mid-April after serving only four months. Jufer was deported as soon as he was released.
    "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

As usual with this topic, please refrain from discussing the monarchy or any other 'hot' topic.

Comment

(Snick @ Feb. 21 2009,09:16) As usual with this topic, please refrain from discussing the monarchy or any other 'hot' topic.
      While I naturally understand the reason for your request, it still strikes me as funny.

As I understand it then, we're perfectly free to comment on this Reuters story about a writer who wrote something about the monarchy, was summarily locked up for insulting the monarchy, and then pardoned by the monarch.....just as long as we don't discuss the monarchy or, God forbid, the monarch.

Where else but in Thailand would a request like that strike anyone as making even remotely good sense.

Comment

Nothing in Thailand makes rational sense, but its still good sense in that it keeps you out of trouble.

You want crazy, the guy was found guilty of defaming the Prince, in a Thai translation of his book, which he never authorized or even read; and the offending passage was too offending to be read out in court.

Comment

Here are two passages from the AFP story on the same topic....

"Thai authorities have banned nearly 4,000 websites in recent months for allegedly insulting the monarchy. Police said last week that more than 17 criminal cases of insulting the royal family are currently active."

"'I was informed I had a royal pardon and asked to kneel before a portrait of the king...,' Nicolaides told reporters on arrival at Melbourne airport."

In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen

Comment

Working...
          X