• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severed foreigner's head found hanging from bridge

HORROR IN CITY
    Severed foreigner's head found hanging from a bridge

Published on February 22, 2009

Police on Sunday are trying to identify a man, believed to be a foreigner, whose head was found hanging from a rope at Rama IX Bridge in Phra Nakhon district. His body was still not found.

The head, belonging to man in his 40s, was tied to the rope and apparently put in a plastic bag and hung from the bridge's railing. When it was found at about 2pm, the plastic bag was detached from the head, revealing a gruesome sight. A doctor estimated that he had died for at least eight hours.

Two sentences, "I want but I cannot €¦," and "I came to Bangkok to be you," were found written on the bridge's railings.

Pol Col Chavalit Prasobsilp, a police chief, said that it was apparently not a suicide (no shit Sherlock) and he will wait for autopsy results before concluding how the head was cut from the body.

"We will check the security circuits at the bridge and see if anything related to the incident was captured," Chavalit said.

"We need to urgently know who is the victim," he said, requesting that the media published clear pictures of the victim's face to help police identify the victim.

Its not me, still alive and well in BKK.

Found at 2 p.m.? how long had it been there I wonder. Who would dangle a bag off a rope from a bridge in broad daylight. No one thought it was strange a bag on the end of the rope? surely someone would have thought there was something of value in it and became curious. My lb tells me this is a busy area and only 2 stations down from us.

Hope to hear more on this case. Intriguing. CIS BKK episode.

Keep us updated PigDogg, way to sniff out a story.

Comment

I just read the same story in the Sydney Daily Telegraph.

The only difference was they said the writing was "Cath. I want but I cannot. ... I came to Bangkok to be with you." Not that I put much stock in the journalistic integrity of a Murdoch paper.

Sounds like a another story of love gone wrong.
      I don't get it, is this a magic show?

Comment

The police normally begin by claiming every farang death is a suicide. So it is strange they immediately go out on a limb and say this wasn't. Suicide seems plausible to me. Guy puts bag over his head in case death is not instant, then rope around that. Hanging someone by rope is an art. Too short and the neck doesn't break, too long and the head pops off. The rope is too long (just look at it, ridiculously longer than any gallows are), body goes into river, but bag over head stays attached. Then there is what seems to be a suicide note, another telltale sign. The other thing is how did he get there? A tourist wouldn't have their own vehicle so if it was a suicide someone either dropped him off there or nearby. I would expect eyewitnesses to spring up so what happened should get better understood. May not be a suicide, but don't see any reason to rule it out yet.

Comment

Links to the story and pics would be nice!

Comment

This was the story in the Telegraph although it's only really a news update.
            http://www.news.com.au/dailyte....00.html

Comment

(andre459 @ Feb. 23 2009,12:49) Sydney Daily Telegraph.

The only difference was they said the writing was "Cath. I want but I cannot. ... I came to Bangkok to be with you."  Not that I put much stock in the journalistic integrity of a Murdoch paper.

Sounds like a another story of love gone wrong.
              Thanx Andre, and agreed on murdoch publications or Fox news for that matter.

The plot thickens.. Cathy with a C shortened to Cath. Hope the highly skilled Thai detectives have more info than we have, they will be busting ass to sort this out.

Comment

(Stogie @ Feb. 23 2009,13:33) Links to the story and pics would be nice!
                Here's the Nation's story: http://nationmultimedia.com/2009/02/...l_30096327.php

And here's the Post's version:
                http://www.bangkokpost.com/news....-bridge

Both appear to be based on the same wire service copy.

Thai Rath, on the other hand, has its own inimitable style of coverage and, inevitably, a grotesque picture:
                http://www.thairath.co.th/online.....=124717

Comment

Anyone seen Doug?..
                  X
                  Forgot how this forum works  

Comment

(jadeite @ Feb. 23 2009,13:20) The police normally begin by claiming every farang death is a suicide. So it is strange they immediately go out on a limb and say this wasn't. Suicide seems plausible to me. Guy puts bag over his head in case death is not instant, then rope around that. Hanging someone by rope is an art. Too short and the neck doesn't break, too long and the head pops off. The rope is too long (just look at it, ridiculously longer than any gallows are), body goes into river, but bag over head stays attached. Then there is what seems to be a suicide note, another telltale sign. The other thing is how did he get there? A tourist wouldn't have their own vehicle so if it was a suicide someone either dropped him off there or nearby. I would expect eyewitnesses to spring up so what happened should get better understood. May not be a suicide, but don't see any reason to rule it out yet.
                    I agree with your summation...

Rope too long and off with the head. (was the 1st thing i thought about too)

Another silly bastard who thought he could find love in LOS!

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

(Naang Faa @ Feb. 23 2009,16:00) Anyone seen Doug?..
                                                        X
                      Where were you on the 22nd around 2pm?

Comment

(SukhumvitRoad @ Feb. 23 2009,14:50)
                        Here's the Nation's story: http://nationmultimedia.com/2009/02/...l_30096327.php

And here's the Post's version:
                        http://www.bangkokpost.com/news....-bridge

Both appear to be based on the same wire service copy.

Thai Rath, on the other hand, has its own inimitable style of coverage and, inevitably, a grotesque picture:
                        Nice work Sukroad,

Does that Thai Rath have an english version? I could only get Thai from that link. Couldn't burdon my lb to translate or read other to tell the difference.

Azza if its his note and he came here after Cath, was he looking for love with a westerner? Is Cath a Thai name?
                        Maybe chasing a lover that jilted him back home if its suicide.

I'm leaning towards murder myself. Someone had to see some activity on the bridge and to hang ones self would have to take much longer than tying a rope to something and throwing a bag over the rail. One detective said it looked like the head was severed off, pretty big difference than a rope would make I reckon.

Comment

(jadeite @ Feb. 23 2009,07:20) The other thing is how did he get there? A tourist wouldn't have their own vehicle so if it was a suicide someone either dropped him off there or nearby.
                          If the foto is anything to go by,that is the Rama lllV bridge
                          which is less than a kilometer from Khosan Rd,easy walking
                          distance...
                          x
                          Forgot how this forum works  

Comment

(Boarhog @ Feb. 23 2009,15:30)
                            (SukhumvitRoad @ Feb. 23 2009,14:50)
                            ....Thai Rath, on the other hand, has its own inimitable style of coverage and, inevitably, a grotesque picture:
                            Nice work Sukroad,

Does that Thai Rath have an english version? I could only get Thai from that link. Couldn't burdon my lb to translate or read other to tell the difference.
                            As far as I know, there's no English language version of Thai Rath, but they print better pictures than the English-language press.

Their front page this morning had two shots to accompany the story: an establishing shot of the head dangling from the bridge, and then a close-up of the severed head. And, oh yeah, there were also two other dead bodies on the front page, all in glorious color.

Great way to start a morning.

Comment

Just in, the body has been found. Details to should be following soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X