X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keep SIM card active?

I did a search but didn't see anything posted - i'm sure this topic has come up.

I normally come thru BKK every 3 to 4 months and always buy credit just before i go to keep my SIM active.

But several times (including just yesterday) I have arrived after longer times (6 to 7 months) and, of course, the SIM card has been cencelled. Am I missing something about a way to keep it active - short of leaving the SIM card in the country with someone?

Can I buy re-load cards and re-load while outside Thailand to keep it active? or some other way?

Just a pain always having to get a new number...

Thanks

It depends on who your provider is. I have a True SIM card. There are a couple of options that can be selected - maximum credit to give longer expiry date on recharges, or maximum talk time credit. What I do is before leaving Thailand I change to the longer expiry date option and can get 6 months expiry - with a couple of top ups or even more if you buy extra. When I get back, if I plan on making a lot of calls, I will switch to max talk time credit. Sometimes I don't bother if it is a short visit.

I have heard some of the other companies will allow a top up outside of Thailand, but I cannot remember which one. Just buy top up credit before you leave LOS, and use it close to the expiry date of your SIM while you are outside LOS.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
    Membership Levels
    The Rookie Thread
    New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
    Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

If you have a 12 Call there are companies who will top it up for you will you are outside LOS...

I've used them and it works...

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-Call....0.l1116
      "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

I am with Dtac, I just put in 200 baht credit near to the date I leave, and that is good for 12 months. So when I arrive back, usually after 6 months or so, just slip in the Sim again, and carry on as the day I left.

Comment

Same same Burenboy. Any kind of credit with my DTAC account extends the life of the SIM by a year.

Comment

That I am sorry to say does not work with 1-2-call & I hate getting a new number every visit
            So looks like DTAC sim next time for me.
            Be lucky,have fun & stay young !

Comment

My 1-2 Call is good for a full year...My current balance expires on March 27, 2110...

If fact, my current number is the number I purchased when I first came to LOS...Only number I have ever had...

Comment

With 1-2-Call, I'm also good for a year, but my buddy on his first time trip was not. Might be the same with DTAC.

Comment

(kahuna @ Mar. 30 2009,14:12) My 1-2 Call is good for a full year...My current balance expires on March 27, 2110...
                  Looks like you'll be okay for the next century

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

Wishful thinking that I might live that long...

Correction, March 27, 2010....I do hope however, I can make it until my baht runs out...

Comment

My wife changed both of our numbers to contracts with DTAC even though my number was 12Call and she had switched to DTAC. She just pays my 200 baht bill every month and when I touch down in BKK and turn on the phone, all is well with my Thai sim card. I am not sure that they will let you just pay 200 baht, leave the country for 6 months or so and it's still active when you come back. But worth checking into.

Comment

I know for 1-2-Call the phone shops at MBK get you a 1 year date when they charge them. Just stop by MBK if your in BKK and ask at any of the shops on the 4th floor.

Comment

Few Companies
                          Many Plans
                          Several Results
                          So research and good luck
                          You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

Words of wisdom there SD. Can always count on you.

Comment

ok, thanks for all the replies. I am 1-2 Call and every time I top up...like at 7-11 its always only good for 2-3 months...

Sounds like the best bet is a stop by MBK...or try Kahuna's link about top-up outside Thailand

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                              X