Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this Notebook PC sound like a good deal?

Toshiba Satellite A305-56909
    Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 2.0GHz CPU
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit
    TruBrite 145.4" WXGA LCD
    4GB DDR2 Memory
    250 GB Hard Drive
    DVD Super Multi Drive with Labelflash
    802.1 b/g/n Wireless LAN
    5-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Integrated Webcam
    $599.99 US

TigerDirect.com has this for sale now
    “When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
    ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

Not a bad deal. It has pretty much everything you want in a home/student category of laptop. A bit heavy for my taste at 6 lbs and I can't seem to find any info on battery life. I know it's a 6 cell battery and it should give you around 3 hours or so. But a good entry level laptop none the less.
      "Even ladyboys are size queens" - Anonymous

Comment

Plenty of power for streaming live video I guess from what RX said earlier? I guess it would be as such that I could plug another monitor into it? Is that a standard feature on notebooks? I remember Stogie saying he hooked a bigger monitor into his laptop to watch NFL Football, which is the main thing I want my own laptop for over there to begin with.
        “When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
        ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

Lefty - the speed and reliability of your internet connection will also have a large impact on your experience of streaming live video

I have desktops/laptops running Mac OSX, Linux, XP and Vista. Let me know if you have Mac-related questions

Note: You most certainly will not get a macbook (Mac laptop) for 600 bucks!!
          No honey, no money!!

Comment

Avoid buying anything pre-installed with Vista.

Comment

if you haver the acer aspire one use this to over clock it
              http://rapidshare.com/files....nfo.rar

makee thing a lot faster setup note when you get the jpg how too

pach it re boot then tick all what in photo if you need more help just let me know

Comment

(Lefty @ May 04 2009,05:30) Does this Notebook PC sound like a good deal?

Toshiba Satellite A305-56909
                Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 2.0GHz CPU
                Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit
                TruBrite 145.4" WXGA LCD
                4GB DDR2 Memory
                250 GB Hard Drive
                DVD Super Multi Drive with Labelflash
                802.1 b/g/n Wireless LAN
                5-in-1 Media Card Reader
                Integrated Webcam
                $599.99 US

TigerDirect.com has this for sale now
                I'd get it just for the 145 inch screen!

Comment

(bunnytv @ May 18 2009,08:40) if you have the acer aspire one use this to over clock it...
                  I'd resist the temptation to 'overclock' any type of notebook. They are not designed for the heat and will burn out quickly.

Actually; if you are seriously thinking about overclocking a netbook then you have bought it for the wrong reasons.

Comment

(Stogie @ May 18 2009,10:46)
                    (bunnytv @ May 18 2009,08:40) if you have the acer aspire one use this to over clock it...
                    I'd resist the temptation to 'overclock' any type of notebook. They are not designed for the heat and will burn out quickly.

Actually; if you are seriously thinking about overclocking a netbook then you have bought it for the wrong reasons.
                    na man this model is only one under clock

it can safely do 2ghz core 1 is 1.6 core 2 is set to 766

it vary safe to over clock it it simple thear the same cores only one the care is lower this done in soft ware under clocking

it not going break any faster than if you left core to @ 766
                    now if this was a pc you not whant do this

but in the case of the 766 mhz it is fine to take it back to 1.6 ghz

yes it a big jump in power but it 100% safe this was what some one from in side acer told me the reson for the 766 it for un plug ac

intel atom chip if you get oem or set to 1.6 for each core

then acer set core 2 for 766 i buld custum laptops and i done min net books and the oem chips or set to 1.6 but to save power some buld or set to lower clock speeed be for shiping to custumers i do not get why thear not speeding up ac power you haver ask accer that but i know if you buy oem bord the chips

Comment

OK... Thanks for that answer... I may give it a go. I did download the program!

Comment

I'm impressed you could read his text-speak
                        No honey, no money!!

Comment

I couldn't. I was being nice!

I'm still to scared to take his advice, too!

Comment

For the technically challenged or too lazy to google
                            a1ctl

About
                            a1ctl is a program able to control the fan speed of the Acer Aspire One netbooks, and do some useful other things. It was inspired by EEEctl, AsTray and some other programs available for the EEE PC series.

Features:
                            - no installation needed
                            - small memory footprint (~5Mo)
                            - complete fan management, with stopped/slow/auto fan modes
                            - support newest bios, from v0.3109 to v0.3305
                            - CPU speed management (XP only)
                            - fast screen resolution changes, with 1024×768 scrolled and downscaled modes (XP only)
                            - can enable/disable webcam/ethernet/wifi to reduce power usage
                            - can be started with windows automatically
                            - option to prevent HDD clicks
                            - show temperature & battery in tray icon
                            - customizable icons & colors via .ini file
                            - integrated ACPIEC driver patching to prevent log writing

It gives a marginal performance boost, but the fan control and resolution management options are worth it.

Comment

Nice one, thanks! (And welcome back!)

Comment

I just read through this thread and am reviving it for the following reason:

I'm considering buying one of these netbooks - either Acer or eeePC seem fine. I'll basically use them as a second laptop, mainly a download machine when hooked up to the internet - dl-ing movies, music, audiobooks from rapidshare, etc. And when on the road as a small laptop for internet access, watching movies, but latter is not such a big issue.

Are they decent dl-machines for the net?

I'm currently in BKK and might check out the malls - if I get the 7% back, I'll prob pay the 20% VAT when getting to Europe so I'll have no hassle.

I'm a bit inclined towards the Acer as I have a regular Acer laptop and have been quite happy with it.
                                Is the shiny screen a big problem?

Any new developments since this thread was last update in May?

Thanks and Cheers
                                CM

Comment

Working...
                                X