Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were cases where people accused of being drug dealers without proof were executed. If that is considered "good" in your books, I guess you and Thaksin should get together and form the next Thai political party.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
    Membership Levels
    The Rookie Thread
    New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
    Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

And what set off the 2006 coup was his attempt to increase his personal power by moving his relatives into top positions in Police and Army; and taking over religious ceremonies previously performed by the palace.
      Ok, now explain how the above is not all about seizing the power?

Why should a prime minister carry out religious ceremonies done by the palace?

Comment

It is about seizing power, There are no heroes here.

The powers that be want to give out democracy in small increments, enrich themselves, and leave a little bit for the poor.

Thaksin and his cronies, simply want to change the guy at the top with Mr. T. ; yes they helped the poor a lot but that was so he could win the election (that and he paid lots of money for Members of Parliament to switch to his banner, and paid off the supreme court in 2000 to ignore the guilty verdict on his share concealment ).

Maybe his intentions to help the poor are true, but so what ? he still killed 3000+, started the trouble in south, etc...

Once in power, Thaksin was anything but democratic, he closed down hostile TV and newspapersl sued critics; made some disappear; ruled by decree, enriched himself, etc...

Like I said, no heroes here. But I'll take the powers-that-be and slow change, over having Thaksin as PM-For-Life.
        "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

started the trouble in south
          Don't get me wrong, Thaksin has gotten very dirty and screwed up some things but the Southern fiasco was brewing long before. Thaksin did try to reach out to the South in a number of ways many of his pundits will never mention. He assigned a muslim to the top army post to command the area which was a good move. And in what was one of the most amazing outpourings of support second only to what happened after the tsunami, millions of origami birds were made by everyday Thai's and airdropped to the South to show the rest of the country cared about them. And Thaksin's origami had a scholarship in it. The trouble makers in the south don't want peace, they want freedom. If you learn the history it can be seen why.

But I'll take the powers-that-be and slow change, over having Thaksin as PM-For-Life
          I think it is up to the people of Thailand to decide. Certainly if left up to them to vote democratically they will vote Thaksin by a landslide. And Palistine votes Hamas. Then there is Chavez and we get GWB. I just don't know that democracy is all it is cracked up to be. Thailand is right now fighting for a system and I hope they find the right one for their situation. Even if it is different than ours and people die fighting for what they believe.

Comment

There has already been a revolution and the revolutionaries won. It's just a matter of HOW things change from here, not IF. Read these comments from a card-carrying member of the Bangkok elite that were published today on a popular political web site:

"Posted by Bangkok Pundit | 4/15/2009 12:59:00 AM
            The following is from M.L. Nattakorn Devakula (Pleum) who has authorised it to be posted (minor grammatical changes made):"

"A lot of my friends and colleagues are in agreement that in order to realize the country's true democratic potential, Thailand needs a formal transition towards a truer more 'popular' form of democracy based on the needs and desires of the majority. A double standard judiciary appointed and acting in the name of a supreme leader and tacitly, yet not infrequently, intervened by particular members of the privy council as shown in a string of events over the past 3 years have to become a thing of the past. An armed forces bent on discriminating against its own population based of differing political ideology and out of the fear of 'connected' individuals having influences over them cannot in anyway be accepted in a modern day democracy.

The tasks of revolutionarily altering Thailand will involve a lot work over the next several years to foment the seeds of final change. An oligarchic style of managed governance where compassion and kindness are given only to those wearing the royalists' color is a slap to the face to the majority of the Thai nation who are for the most part already living subordinated lives. This movement for democratic change must begin to sow its preliminary sinews today, while the culmination of its goals will be seen several years down the road.

Victory was theirs this time but make no mistake the definitive battle lines of the future have been drawn and the real war is yet to have experienced its days. The reds' defeat on April 14, 2009 from now on serves as a point of origination for what will ultimately become a transitional period out of the Thai oligarchic existence."

Stunning stuff. Even a week ago, there wasn't the remotest possibility of a member of the Thai establishment being so publicly outspoken over the need to end the dominance of 'certain institutions.' We live today in a vastly different world, the borders of which are still undefined.

Comment

interesting indeed.
              I do think the proposed scenario is much better than having Thaksin seize the power right now.
              Too much things happening at the same time.

Once Thaksin is out of the picture and once the throne's succession has been handled, there will be more flexibility for finding a way.

Comment

If there is a throne.....

Comment

it's a cheap blue plastic chair. Thais don't believe in spending big bucks on a seat
                  No honey, no money!!

Comment

whatever the outcome, the succession needs to be "handled", "managed" or whatever it should be called
                    ... in a way that ensures stability for the country.

Comment

Working...
                    X