X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annice Smoel and the missing bar mat!

MELBOURNE mother of four Annice Smoel was drunk and shouted at Thai police who arrested her for stealing an $80 mat from a bar, police and witnesses say.

Witnesses said she abused two policemen and demanded to see their superior officer after being arrested outside the Aussie Bar in Phuket about 2am on May 3.

She was taken to Kathu police headquarters nearby.

The officer in charge, Lt-Maj Jongseam Preecha, said Ms Smoel was very drunk and kept shouting at him.

"She was very rude to the two police, but they didn't properly understand what she was saying," he said.

"They brought her to me, and she was very loud."

He said Ms Smoel claimed the bar mat had been put in her bag by friends, but he denied anyone had come forward to say they'd put it there.

She would appear in court next Monday and, if found guilty could be fined up to $400 or jailed for up to five years.

Ms Smoel was charged with "night-time theft", which carries a higher punishment.

Aussie Bar owner Steve Wood claimed Ms Smoel was abusive to undercover police.

"When they talked to her, all they wanted to do was chastise her, and they usually let you go," he alleged. "But she did a runner on them . . . The police had to chase her down the beach. She continued to abuse everyone, including the chief of police, and I think this is what the problem is."

A MELBOURNE mother of four is stranded in Thailand and facing a possible jail term over what she says was a practical joke that backfired.

Annice Smoel, 36, yesterday pleaded for Federal Government help during an emotional telephone call from Thailand, where she has been granted bail on a theft charge.

She has missed being with her eldest daughter, who had emergency surgery for appendicitis, and the 11th birthday of her second-eldest.

Her brother-in-law Gary Smoel, who with his wife is caring for the children, said the 12-year-old was too upset to go to school.

Maurice Blackburn law firm chairman Bernard Murphy said Ms Smoel had committed no crime but had been absent when two friends placed a bar mat in her handbag as a joke.

Ms Smoel was detained by police, spent four nights in jail, and is now stuck in Thailand, supported by her husband as she faces another 14 weeks on bail until the next stage of her prosecution.

Mr Murphy said prosecutors had estimated she could spend between one and five years in a Thai prison if she is found guilty.

Two of her friends, who were travelling with her to celebrate her mother's birthday, have apologised in a sworn statement for hiding the bar mat in what they called a "silly" joke.

The women, named Samantha and Jodie, said in the statement that police were told Smoel was unaware when they placed the mat from the Aussie Bar in Phuket in her bag.

They said police initially let her go, but she was stopped later by bar staff and sent to a police booth. "What started off as a very silly joke has turned into a very serious matter and for that we are sincerely apologetic," the women said.

Yesterday, Ms Smoel described her horror at her time in jail. She said she believed she and her friends had been targeted because they were women "on our own" without a man to talk to police about a bribe.

"If there had...been a man with us to do that for us, then that would have been done and that would have been the end of it."

She said she was not made aware that her husband, Darren, and mother were negotiating for her release.

"I just felt scared and hopeless and alone," she said. "If they wanted to teach me a lesson, they have well and truly done it."

But Aussie Bar owner Steve Wood told 3AW that he was told police had chased Ms Smoel to the beach, and that she had been disrespectful to a senior policeman.

"I think it's more an attitude problem than a crime problem," he said.

Mr Wood said the bar had not pressed charges over the missing mat, which he said was worth $50 or $60.

Darren Smoel said he would not return home without his wife.

Late yesterday, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said Australian authorities were providing consular support and had contacted the Thai Government.

Premier John Brumby said the State Government was doing all it could to bring Ms Smoel home. "She's a Victorian and we want to get her back," Mr Brumby said.

Ha ha! Night time crime, eh? That's a new one on me!
    Attached Files

Lots and lots of Aussies come over to Thailand and have a good time and rarely stray outside the rules of convention to such a degree whereby they elicit the attention of the local cops.

But for fucks sake there are a shit load of careless freaks that just act totally fucking stupid when they get here.

If Thailand ever sent people to our countries who were anything like some of the neanderthal ninnies that they allow in they'd be locked up for life!

I have absolutely no sympathy for this drunken slapper. She's blaming everyone but herself. The Cops, the Australian consulate officials, her friends...

If she'd kept her mouth shut and played it cool she'd be back at home with her kids. But, oh no... drunk off her ass, mouthing off to senior cops and amazingly racing off into the night trying to escape!

What a twat!

Comment

Strikes me that the best thing she could do is to write a letter of apology to the Thai Police.

Equally it I think that the best thing the Thai's could do is to dismiss the case at the trial hearing and send her back home on the next plane.

No one would come out looking good by trying to stand on priciples in a case like this.

RR.
      Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
      Kahuna

Comment

A woman & drink !

enough said

lb's all the way for me

steviep

Comment

$80 for a bar mat !!!!!!

What price is the drink in that joint
          Free your mind and your ass will follow .

Comment

I do have sympathy for her. spending 4 night in a Thai jail over a bar mat that was probably a freebie from a brewing company? This Aussie bar owner giving evidence of her being abusive to police? He makes a living off these drunks, then he wants to hang them over his precious bar mat? That should help tourism figures. The way its being portrayed in Aussie media, many people don't want to take their chances going to a place where you can get arrested over a seemingly harmless prank landing you in the monkey house facing 1-5 years jail.

I'm sure thai police were quite upset they didn't get their usual farang honorarium to forget about the arrest, and instead got an earful of shouting by a drunken farang woman. Her friends have admitted placing the barmat in her bag, and if she had no knowledge of it, then one could see why she would be irrate after getting pinched for this.

Its already been an expensive lesson for her, however the Thai authorities will never realise the impact it does to their tourism. Many Australians have made Phuket the new Bali since the bombings, and when they hear the AUS spin on this bar mate hiest debacle, potential tourists start to look elsewhere.

For me personally, just another reason to hang around in ladyboy bars.

Comment

(Boarhog @ May 19 2009,19:30) For me personally, just another reason to hang around in ladyboy bars.
              That reminds me of one other way I prefer Pattaya to Patong.
              Even at C&D, at least the old one, sometimes a group of fat half soused ugly white women will belly up to the bar, be loud and obnoxious and want to have their photo taken with a ladyboy or two. It's like some kind of side show to them and they wanna have their pic taken to show their friends back home. The same dumbasses as the ones ya see crowded around the entrance to Soi Croc so they can get plastered and watch the lbs dance.
              I just cannot imagine it is as likely to see a flock of clucking hens coming into La Bamba, Pook Bar, Ezy, etc. The typical breeder tourists do not seem as interested in invading the lb or gay venues in Patts to gawk as they are in Patong.
              JMO anyway.
              “When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
              ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

they usually let you go, but she did a runner on them
                Not exaclty the actions one would expect from an innocent person.

Her friends have admitted placing the barmat in her bag
                Another news source indicates this story was dreamed up at a later date.

She is a thief and deserves exactly the treatment she is getting. Stogie is 100% right.

Comment

Thats beautiful, getting the treatment she deserves. So you support the thai police jailing her for 4 nights over a promotional bar mat? Taking her passport?

All this while some one who gets caught with a bunch of yabba pills skates because they gave the police cash instead of an earful? You just go on and side with the Thai police. the sooner we get these holiday binge drinkers off the streets of Patong the better. Perhaps this heavy handed treatment of an aussie mother of 4 will make the place safer for Stogie and all those others who are afraid to come to Patong.

Another news source indicates this story was dreamed up at a later date.
                  Thats like Fox and friends saying "someone said they concocted the story later" but they never tell the source.

Another Foxism "I heard"

Comment

Sorry BH,

I agree with Stogie and Jadeite on this one...

If she had the good sense to admit that she was the victim of a prank calmly and cooly all the way to the station she might have got off, (or the chance to pay her way out.) The family stated in the DT (Sydney) that "we offered them a bribe as we know thats what you do there". Right. But in privacy... You can imagine the IN YOUR FACE offer.
                    For the owner to press charges too she must have been completely munted and a pig to boot. (Having owned bars my self I know as most do rule number 1 is Don't Press Charges). I can imagine the self righeous pissed indignation: "YOU can't arrest me! I'M AN AUSSIE" or... white.
                    Maybe the copper had just scraped some stupid falang off the road or seen one too many drunken vomiting aussie/pom/kiwi/ruskies for the night and wasn't in the mood.
                    And maybe she was just more ugly fat falang hippo to him and he'd had a gutful.

Rule number 1: He who has the gun makes the rules. Be nice and smile and be polite....
                    f0xxee

"Spelling - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."

Comment

(f0xxee @ May 20 2009,04:52) For the owner to press charges........
                      Mr Wood said the bar had not pressed charges over the missing mat........
                      RR.
                      Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                      Kahuna

Comment

I've acted the fool and gotten away with it. I've acted the fool and got caught and let go. I've acted the fool, been an asshole about it and paid the price...

You live and learn!

As for the Thai reputation in Australia... Let's face it - where else are they gonna go?

I don't suppose the Thais or this Aussie bar owner will be too upset if those idiots never come back! While secretly I expect the travelers with kids staying in nice hotels secretly approve of the pasting she's getting.

If you act like a twat it should come as no surprise when you are treated like one... even if you are an Ozzie, er I mean Aussie!

(Just joshing, Ozzie!)

Where as the Yanks scream "But I'm an American!" as if this was a get out of jail free card, the Aussies all to often cry "But I'm spending money here!" in the equal (but misguided) belief that it makes a difference to how you can behave.

As they say... 'Shape up or ship out!'

Comment

My impression of the coverage this is getting here in Oz is that she is seen as the offending party.

I have heard of no sympathy for her plight, she is viewed as another idiot who runs screaming to the government to get them out of the mess they caused themselves.

I will get updated on what the talk-back radio shock jocks have said about her in the next day or so, I can't stand to listen to most of them, but if previous form is any guide, they will be calling her for the dummy she is.

Australians has it share of idiots who act-up in foreign countries but as a nation, we don't side with the morons when they have have brought it on themselves.

4 daughters at home & she's sitting in a bar on holiday too pissed to stay out of trouble, no, she can wait till the trial date, she will never pull a stunt like that again.
                          Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

Hi RR,

Correct you are. My fault. Or maybe the fish wrapper in Sydney (Daily Telegraph) had me believe he pressed charges.
                            f0xxee

"Spelling - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."

Comment

Where as the Yanks scream "But I'm an American!" as if this was a get out of jail free card,
                              well, at least not since the war in vietnam has ended!

The last news of this story were that people suspect the whole thing has been staged to lure money out of Aussie media for interviews...

Comment

Working...
                              X