• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phuket gangs shoot it out in Patong

From Phuket Gazette

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Phuket gangs shoot it out in Patong

An injured man is taken away by Phuket Police after a shootout in Patong.

PATONG, PHUKET: Tourists ran for their lives when a gunfight erupted between two gangs on the Patong beachfront today. One man was killed and three injured in the Patong shootout.

Bystanders said two gangs of Thai men began shooting at each other on the site of the burned out Jintana shopping center on the Patong beach road in the early afternoon.

One witness said a gang of five Thai men started shooting at a gang of three men. The smaller gang returned fire.

The gunfight moved along the beach road to near the Clublime nightclub.

Police from a nearby checkpoint raced to the scene and organized ambulances to take the injured to hospitals.

One man was taken to Patong Hospital, where he later died.

The other three were taken to the Bangkok International Hospital in Wichit, where they are being treated in the intensive care unit.

Police chased a number of the gunmen down backstreet sois and arrested at least two men.

Police would only reveal the nick names of the men arrested as "Bank" and "Ood".

The dead man is believed to be linked to the dispute over the ownership rights to the Jintana Plaza Shopping Center opposite Loma Park, which has been damaged by fire at least five times in the past two years.

The center's heiress Komkai Kositkoon was murdered in July last year.

Police believe this latest outbreak of violence is linked to a dispute over the Jintana Plaza land. Police confirmed that one of the men arrested had ties to the plaza.

Kathu Police Superintendent Grissak Songmoonark said police recovered a number of bullets and spent cartridges from the scene.

Police were aware of the ongoing dispute and he was confident of arresting all of the men involved in the shootout very quickly, he said.

Tommy Somsanuk, marketing manager of the Clublime nightclub, said he heard a commotion just before the two gangs started shooting at each other.

€œPeople were running for cover everywhere,€ he said.

Mr Somsanuk said he saw police chase two men down a shopping soi.

€œThey caught them both and took them away on the back of a police truck,€ he said.
    Attached Files

Love the guy with the camera

Comment

I'm on my way!

Comment

Posted with YOU in mind

Anyway, I'm not giving up yet!

Just gonna avoid the beach, ferries, Patong Hill on my motorbike, night clubs, and abandoned lots.

C and D and Tootsie will be fine

Comment

i am sure ur in good hands Rocket J. Squirrel and do say hi 2the girls

Comment

www.pattayaone.net/news has a daily update of social atrocities in Funtown. Seems like beatings,shootouts,stabbings and death are outrageously commonplace.....

As a bonus,there's gory and graphic photos to keep the reader informed.

Comment

Don't show this to KL !
              "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

I dont think much will deter KL, hes a Cool Dude
                Your got yer Mother in a whirl
                Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

I went past where it happened today- wasn't even worth taking a phot of the police tape. This is part of a family feud that has been going on for a couple of years now- it's all about control and dirty money. I'm sure there will be pages and pages on thaivisa refighting the 'battle' but this was an isolated incident and I get the feeling Khun P will jump on this very quickly. There have been an increased number of thai on thai shootings over the past year within Phuket- a lot of it turns out to be the older siblings fighting over control of an estate. The area in which this happened is fairly contained- the danger would have been from a riccochet more than a deliberate act. The cops shut it down quickly- the nearest police post is approx 50m away. In the words of Cpl Jones 'Don't panic, Mr Mainwearing,don't panic' This happened on one of my normal walking routes and won't change my plans one bit.
                  I couldn't give a shit how long it is until you're next holiday- I live here

Comment

(daveduke007 @ Jul. 22 2009,01:32)

I dont think much will deter KL, hes a Cool Dude  
                    It's like the recent bombings in JKT, wouldn't keep me away !
                    After 7/7 I was back in the City the following day, you have to be careful, but cant let these conts rule ya life !
                    Be lucky,have fun & stay young !

Comment

Here's the latest from the Gazette http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=7591 typical of the press to refer to it as a 'wild west shootout'. Funny that it was an ex-cop who was the first to open fire.
                      I couldn't give a shit how long it is until you're next holiday- I live here

Comment

(Ivor Biggun @ Jul. 23 2009,17:51) I'm sure there will be pages and pages on thaivisa refighting the 'battle'

Comment

Working...
                        X