Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS in Thailand

Hi all,

Seriously thinking of buying a GPS since I have a bad habit of missing turn-offs from Freeways and signs while riding or driving.

I am about to do long ride around LOS in the coming weeks... and want to take a few back roads.

Anyone got a Garmin or similar GPS fitted in their car or truck here in LOS?
    Is the english translation of the program supplied understandable? Or is it Engrish?

Any tips or opinions are welcomed

Cheers,

JF
    f0xxee

"Spelling - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."

My motor comes with one built in but i also have a handheld...a Garmin Gpsmap60CSx..the maps are downloadable for it

Comment

Thanks Tim'sBoy,

And I take it the english is ok? Maybe a silly question but does it come with a earphone jack? It will need to overcome the noise of a motorbike as taking my eyes off the road on a bike to look at a GPS is not always a good idea...
      f0xxee

Comment

Why not just get a new mobile, the top of the ranges have GPS and do much more than a garmin. Consider Nokia or the brand new HTC HD2. I am not sure if they talk though.

Comment

Thanks BKKsins... I have a Samsung Omnia bought in Vietnam that has excellent GPS and talks as well... bu do you think I can load the fucking maps for LOS into it? And do you think any one of the floppy haired, pierced gits at the oh, several thousand SAMSUNG stands around Thailand give a fuck about telling me how to download the maps? So the Samsung is going to go the way of the Olympus camera when i am pissed one day: out the window into the jungle for the lings to play with....
          Might try one of those HTC phones though... if it has a headphone jack I am set!

Cheers!
          f0xxee

Comment

I know a lot of the latest phones have Google Maps on them. This covers Thailand and pretty much every country on earth, and is extremely accurate. The GPS measures your location to within 10 metres and you can use that as a start point (or anywhere else you choose) and select anywhere as a destination and it maps out the route for you. Google Maps is free to download and I have used it on one of my old handsets but is much better on the newer phones.

Your Samsung Onmia may already have Google Maps if not just download it from the net. A quick search on google for: google maps for samsung omnia did give some issues that users seem to have.

If you do go for HTC then try the HD2 it is their new one with a monster screen. I am not sure if it is out in Thailand yet but I have seen it in the shops for quite a while now so guess it might be.

Oh, and some of the roads are pretty confusing here with numerous ramps, different options etc. Even with GPS I get confused which way I am su,pposed to be going, so do not stress it too much just try and avoid the pot holes and occasional pile up!!

Happy New Year btw!!

Comment

F0xxee, you tried reading the fine manual yet?

Comment

Thnahs for the tip BKK sins... I shall download g-maps

And Torurot: Surely you remember rule #1?

RULE #1:" Men SHALL NOT read instruction manuals until said subject of manual is buggered."
                f0xxee

Comment

Well really you need a proper device on a motorcycle with proper mountings, like the Garmin Zumo products that are specifically designed for motorcyclists. TomTom also make a motorcycle specific version.

The next best thing would probably be one of the Garmin handhelds.

Both of these options are fully waterproof.

Otherwise you are probably going to have to muck around with some half-arsed solution.

Garmin also have maps for Thailand which are expensive, but you can also download Thailand maps from Rotweiler which I have used and found to be very good.

http://rotweilermaps.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X