Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work possibilities for Microsoft or SAP trainers?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work possibilities for Microsoft or SAP trainers?

Hi. I'd like to know if there are possibilities of contract work in the LOS for SAP trainers, and maybe Microsoft trainers too.

And--as a pre-emptive strike --yes I've already looked into ESL teaching, on this board and others: I am considering it seriously and by now I'm fairly clear on the practicalities of that type of employment thanks to the excellent info in some of the threads, particularly from Stogie.

My background is on Microsoft software (as a professional IT worker) but from what I've learned, aside from some international school offering some basic computer courses in English to the kids, possibilities are limited. For MS certifications courses, I'd expect them to be provided in Thai. If you know of some demand for English-speaking MS certified trainers (or better yet you are one or know some in the LOS, please by all means let me know).

For SAP, I could look into certifying while I'm still here in the States, if the practicalities resemble that of ESL teaching (warm body with US passport and adequate certification) I'd much prefer to hear only from people with real knowledge or experience of SAP in Thailand. Demand (if any) and practical requirements (are employers short-handed and flexible or is it a buyer's market? What are the modules that are the most in demand?) would be my main questions.

I have no expectations one way or the other except that the pay would be much lower than in the States or Europe, but a bit higher than ESL teaching.

Thanks in advance for any practical **informed** info,

Mohawk

And of course any market existing in Microsoft Dynamics/ERP stuff for trainers would be really great (much easier path for me) but that's probably too much to ask

Mohawk

Comment

If my understanding of Thai business methodry is right then they would rather pay 5 Thai guys to screw it up than one western IT guy to do it right!

Good luck!
      I'm feeling rough and it's a combination of air and water...

Comment

I am afraid Rusty Nail is right - the one chance you might have is landing a job with a multinational that wants proper training, but those opportunities are fewer especially with the economic times.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
        Membership Levels
        The Rookie Thread
        New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
        Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm thinking in term of teaching people who are preparing for various IT certifications and exams. For Microsoft, the manuals and exams are usually localized in the local language (I'm not sure about SAP on that). But there may be local non-Thai speakers who are preparing the exams in English too?

Mind you, I'm not thinking full-time jobs here, only contracts with companies that run prep courses. Trying to go to the bottom of every possible option, but fully aware that TIT and that things **are** different  

From what I gather, a beginning English teacher can reasonably expect to make 30-35K/months in BKK. My goal is to see if there are options (such as tech exams prep teaching) that could allow for a slightly better income (50-60K/month).

Thanks again,

Mohawk

Comment

There are multinationals that have their IT centers in Bkk since it is so cost effective, I'd suggest researching who they are, who the sub-contractors are & following that route. Or consider relocating to Manila or Singapore instead.

Comment

Good advice.

PM Socrates999 for more information...
              SHEMALE.CENTER
              World's Greatest Tgirl Cam Site.

Comment

(El_hefe @ Jan. 04 2010,04:41) There are multinationals that have their IT centers in Bkk since it is so cost effective, I'd suggest researching who they are, who the sub-contractors are & following that route. Or consider relocating to Manila or Singapore instead.
                Hi. Manila or Singapore are not options for me. The main goal is neither to work in IT nor to make a max of money. Thailand it is

This said, if I wanted to keep in the rat race while improving my lot boredom-wise I'd certainly consider Singapore.  I like the place and I have memories of being there at Christmas a few years ago and walking around with a boner in a shopping center due to the many Chinese girls dressed in mini-skirt Santa outfits

I strongly suspect however--but it is a moot point--that my age (Methuselah-esque by IT standards) would disqualify me for most positions in Singapore

For the multinationals in the LOS, it's a good idea but researching from abroad I don't see the demand for instructors, compared to the ESL industry where it's possible to get a good idea of the market. It doesn't mean that it's not there: I just don't see it. I have seen Thai companies recruiting bilingual Microsoft instructors though (therefore Thais in all likelihood) and that makes sense. They also insist on them being below 35 years of age :-) These were full-time jobs though.

So I see it as a good bet to try to connect with people on the ground who may already work in the industry as contract instructors. I was a bit remiss not researching this during my last trip to the LOS, but at the time the idea of a relocation was still at the percolating stage.

The input is much appreciated. Thanks!

Mohawk

Comment

(Bumpa STIKKA @ Jan. 04 2010,04:53)  Good advice.

PM Socrates999 for more information...
                  OK I will.

Thanks for the tip!

Mohawk

Comment

Working...
                  X