Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(iceberg @ Mar. 01 2010,12:34) I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers or make waves, being from the usa and having worked in the service industry I tend to tip a lot more than average.If 20 is the average then I guess I'll have to carry a pocket full of coins  BTW how many people do you typically have to tip on a daily basis? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated, as I'll be making my 1st trip to LOS on october 1 thru october 20,2010. This forum keeps me informed and it is well worth the price of admission.  
    iceberg, as u will be here for the first time and on holiday, I would not worry too much and tip as you feel. There is no right or wrong, really. Not to tip at all, might be considered a bit stingy for farangs and if you tip too much, you will make the recipient/s happy of course. If you stay for 3 weeks, you will get a pretty good feeling as you go along.

If you stay at a decent hotel, I always think it is a good idea to tip the cleaning staff after 2 or 3 days and tip them regularly and not wait until the very end. You will get better service, more towels if you need them and they will clean yr room right after you leave. I usually consider this a good investment.

Same goes for waiters if you frequent the same place more often.

When in bars - and I know that bar owners will hang me for that - but, anyway - buy lady drinks to your heart's content but if not sure whether to buy another, just slip the girl who has taken (good) care of you 50 or a 100 Baht. Let everybody win - the bar by consuming more yrself or buy a drink for a buddy, the lady, by tipping her directly and you win by saving some money which you can spend the next time around. I know that this is a walk on the tight rope but this is my opinion, others might have different valid ones. It also makes a difference whether you frequent a bar more or just hop from one to another.

I am pretty sure that in October the 20 Baht bills will still be around. Collect them and the 50 ones from the start as change is often hard to come by.

Do, whatever makes you feel good.

Comment

Its surprising how many Thai's remember who tips and who does not. I have seen it with my own eyes many many times - those who tip well get superb treatment from service staff, those who tip fairly get well looked after and those who dont tip get left to their own devices and wonder why the service sucks. Simply reality and not meant as any kind of lesson, just my own experiences in Thailand. By the way, in most restaurants wait staff hate waiting on Thai women out of choice - they are the worst tippers and the most difficult customers.

Cheers
      Mardhi

Comment

I think everyone around the world who works for tips remember who tips well and who doesn't.

When I drove a cab, repeat customers tended to be rare but tales would be told who forks over some cash.

Sinatra was a great tipper but he rarely took cabs.  He'd tip doormen like Lucky at Jimmy Weston's 100 bucks and he'd be sure to look after his limo.

Joe Franklin, probably not well known here, was one of the worst.

Men tip better than women.  Whites tip better than blacks.

Comment

As my buddies know, I'm usually generous with my tipping. Too generous at times -because then some staff (esp in LB bars) take the piss and just think you are stupid.  In other words, you don't look after your money, so you are fair game to them.  

So I've started to tighten up.  No more leaving ALL the 10 baht coins most Nana bars 'happen' to include with the change (usually 3 or 4).  No more drinks bought for service staff.  Now when they complain (say in Obsessions) I tell them i will 'tip for food' when I leave, and may give them 40/50 baht. Usually they are quite happy with that.  Ok there are one or two service staff I may sometimes give 100 baht (only £2 after all) because they really give great service. On balance, a 20 baht tip is more appreciated in Pattaya than BKK, but I do agree with Tralala777 about what the thais do.  Usually in most places just leave the small coinage, or 20 baht is quite enough.

A funny incident the other day:  Aun (79 in Obs) saw me sit down, and waved to say she was going out for something to eat. Asked me for 20 baht for food.  Told her I had a 50baht note in my pocket, which she could have.  Unbelievably, she gave me a 20 baht note in change. Caused a lot of hilarity!

Foot massage - to my regular girls in BKK and Pattaya, usually a 50 baht tip. Occasional tips to the security guy at the entrance to my condo (and a bottle of whisky at Christmas) - keep him sweet, Ihope!

I hope they keep the 20B note.  I usually get a wad of 20 & 50 baht notes from the bank when I come to Thailand, and I do think a note has more impact than a coin.  OK, that may be in my mind, but it is all about what each individual feels comfortable with. I'm pleased that point has come out strongly in this thread.
          TT

Comment

(TTChang @ Mar. 01 2010,21:27) ... and I do think a note has more impact than a coin. OK, that may be in my mind, but it is all about what each individual feels comfortable with. I'm pleased that point has come out strongly in this thread.
            However WE might look at it, there must be a reason why 20 Baht notes - and I can only speak for China - 1 Yuan bills which equal about 10 Euro cents are still in circulation. They give in particular people living on small incomes the feeling to "have" money.

It might not be the single bill, but a wad of such notes feels and looks better than a pocket full of loose change.

And looking at it from my POV, I also prefer having bills and usually try to get rid of any change rather quickly, either by collecting it in some jar or by spending it if I won't be in the country for long.

Although the equivalent in value might be the same, I am almost certain that any study would bring out a huge difference in perceived value between a 20 Baht bill and a 20 Baht coin.

But I also think that once this kind of thing is in the news, it is a decided fact and sooner or later 20 Baht bills will become collector items ...

Comment

(Chinaman @ Mar. 01 2010,07:39) a wad of such notes feels and looks better than a pocket full of loose change.
              Ya, with a wad of 20's in your shorts, the ladyboys will say, "is that a gun in your pocket or are u just happy to see me"?

Comment

fuck that i will be giving my tips in coins smallest denominatation possible,see how funny they think it is then,fuck em.............and i do
                robbo

Comment

Working...
                X