X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil Unrest in LOS

Apparently the Thai Supreme Court will hand down a decision about Taksin's frozen accounts on February 26. This is the day I fly in LOS. What are the chances of civil unrest and should one be concerned about being in Thailand during this period?

Look two (2) topics below this one:

EXTRAS ~ Other ladyboy related information! » Life & Living in Thailand! » Thaksin's Red Army of the People of Thailand

Page 1  - Post #20 from yesterdays newspapers (in quotes)

Comment

Everyone should immediately cancel all visits to LOS  and tourists currently here should leave as quickly possible, the end is nigh  

Don't believe about 99% of what you read/see on the TV 'cos it is exaggerated lies .
      Thailand has a great tradition of coups and they are surprisingly good at not killing farang as long as they keep away from the trouble spots.

But there again, if you're one of those who really believe that healthcare is the first step to a commie take over, better stay at home and barricade your doors  

Comment

Thailand has a past of turbulence and turmoil. It has witnessed at least 10 successful coups and 7 abortive attempts even before military forces seized power on September 19, 2006 dismissing Prime Minister Thaksin Sinawatra€™s government. Thailand has experienced this coup after a span of 15 years.

Here is a chronology of some of the military coups and major attempted coups since the Southeast Asian nation became a constitutional monarchy in 1932:

1932: King Prajadhipok is overthrown in a coup d'etat. Armed forces led by three radicals, Pridi Phanomyang, Major Phibun Sangkhram and Colonel Phahon Phonphaywhasena, takes control. Phrayo Manopakorn is appointed Prime Minister.

1933: Manopakorn dissolves the National Assembly and rules by decree, until he is removed in another coup. Phahon, one of the three involved in the 1932 coup, becomes Prime Minister.

1947: Military coup by General Phin Choonhavan deposes the government. Luang Aphai-Wongse is appointed Prime Minister, but is replaced by Phibun the following year.

1951: Phibun leads another military coup and restores the 1932 version of the Constitution.

1957: Following a coup led by General Sarit Thanarat, politician Pote Sarasin is appointed leader of an interim government.

1976: An attempted military coup is defeated in February, but a successful coup in October overthrows Prime Minister Seni Pramoj. Admiral Sa-ngad Chaloryoo, previously Minister of Defence, is installed as Chairman of a National Administrative Reform Council.

Oct 20, 1977: The government of Thanom Kravichien, appointed in 1976, is overthrown by a military coup, again led by Sa-ngad. Following which a military Revolutionary Council takes power.

April 1, 1981: An attempted coup, led by General Sant Chipatima, Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Army, is suppressed by forces loyal to the government.

Sept 9, 1985: A coup is attempted by Colonel Manoon Roopkachorn; a number of senior officers are later arrested.

Feb 23, 1991: The government of General Chatichai is ousted in a bloodless military coup. Power is assumed by a National Peacekeeping Council, led by General Sunthorn Kongsompong.

Sept 19, 2006: The armed forces take power and dismiss Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's caretaker government while Thaksin and several other ministers are overseas. The military revoke the Constitution and promise a swift return to democracy after political reforms.
        Attached Files

Comment

Its par for the course - dont worry about it - it not just coincidence the verdict is being read after the stock market closes and they have a long budhist weekend holiday through till Tuesday. The thing I would be worried about though is all the bars will be closed on Sunday night........

Cheers
          Mardhi

Comment

(mardhi @ Feb. 24 2010,10:55) the verdict is being read after the stock market closes
            What would be the best verdict for the Thai stock market?

Any links on this subject appreciated.

Comment

Nice photos BAM, where'd you get them

You missed some details, the current coup count is 19, but who can remember them all.

I once asked a Thai how many Constitutions do you think America had in 200 years ?
              (one is the answer).
              "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

Redshirt soundtruck just went by on Pattaya Tai announcing a gathering at Soi Khao Talo on the Darkside tomorrow.

My teerak said that for some previous events the demonstarators were given a 500 baht stipend.

Comment

(BAM @ Feb. 25 2010,01:44) 1976: An attempted military coup is defeated in February, but a successful coup in October overthrows Prime Minister Seni Pramoj. Admiral Sa-ngad Chaloryoo, previously Minister of Defence, is installed as Chairman of a National Administrative Reform Council.
                  I was there that October when Government troops were shooting protesters at the University.

I only found out about the deaths much later but I was close enough to hear the gunfire.

These things always appear worse on TV. Don't worry Steff, life goes on as normal & I don't think this will affect your holiday.

Maybe some traffic disruption for a day or so but there will be terrific pressure from the police & the army to get things back to normal as fast as possible.
                  Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

I've got 3 more trips booked for 2010 and unless they actually close the airports they wont be able to stop me from going.

I do wish things would settle down however... its a shame people are divided!

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

Steff, a few considerations:

1- as a foreigner (or even as a Thai) you are at no physical risk if you stay clear of rallies and protests. Thais do not turn on foreigners 99.99%.
                      If you see large groups of reds (i.e. more than 50) and/or more than 20 armed soldiers, go elsewhere.

2- don't go near strategic places like government house, supreme court building, etc.

3- if I was the red shirt leaders, I would try to do the same thing as the PAD did successfully: blockade the airports. In case of heavy army or police repression, this would give the red shirts plenty of arguments to denounce injustice with worldwide impact.
                      I would do this - therefore I rebooked my flight (I was due to fly tomorrow night).
                      A blockade could last for anywhere between a couple of days to two weeks.

4- if the airport is blockaded, you still have options to leave the LOS almost in time by either:
                      - waiting that your airline replaces the flight with one out of U-Tapao/Chiang Mai/Samui/Pukhet (takes 3 to 4 days, but you incur no additional costs)
                      - leaving Thailand through Cambodia or Malaysia and flying home from there (this will cost you up to 2000 USD, but you can leave quicker)

5- the red leaders declared there would be no rallies on the 26th.
                      I'm rather inclined to believe them, but this means they will probably rally the 27th. The preparations throughout the country tend to support that.

P.S.
                      in Patts/Jomtien, the reds already built a big stage at Khao Talo.

Comment

Bangkok Post article today put any protest by the Reds back to mid-march as they seem to be losing steam. I can't be arsed to search for it though . I echo Manarak's comments- some people are too paranoid about rhetoric and press speculation- it shouldn't affect any holidays planned at the moment.

Remember - it was the YELLOWS that forced the airport closure in 2008 but there was massive collusion (in MY opinion) with the police and army or such a huge breach of security would never have been allowed to happen in the first place.
                        I couldn't give a shit how long it is until you're next holiday- I live here

Comment

Hot (ish) off the press. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8538013.stm
                          I couldn't give a shit how long it is until you're next holiday- I live here

Comment

EZY bar is a safe haven.

Go upstairs and the girls are shirtless.

Comment

You're a witty one Pigdogg!!!
                              I am currently sitting in the airport lounge waiting to board my connection to Hong Kong. My outbound flight is delayed and I am concerned I will miss the BKK connection out of HKG.. Fat bastards!!! Always a damn drama. It's a nail-biter.
                              Say a little prayer for me and I will buy you best gal in EZY a drink.

Steff

Comment

Working...
                              X