X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WD TV Live - 4TB HDs - DIY 4TBs!

Well for those that care the 'WD TV Live' is available in Thailand... at last!

I don't know what I would do without mine!

Basically it's a device for playing all your stuff that is stuck on your computer or hard drives on your front room TV! It also connects directly to the internet via a wire into your router or you can plug in a WiFi USB dongle.

It also updates itself, has a great online community for helping you get the most lout of yours and watching YouTube will never be the same again!

Prices are under 5,000 baht at Panthip Plaza!

Moving on...

I've been pining for a four (Yes FOUR!) Terabyte drive for a while now but they haven't been available in Thailand and building them has been a bit tricky... plus unless you are running Vista or Windows 7 it's a waste of time anyway as they won't work!

But they are now in stock on the fourth level at the Western Digital shop for les than 20,000 baht. And just opposite the shop at another shop they are 19,500! Go figure!

But they are big! On the flip side they have a lot of features other than just a drive... but I won't go into that here.

Moving on...

If you want a 4TB drive that is small and cheap then do it yourself!

I just bought two 2TB drives and a brilliant enclosure that is not much larger than a house brick and the whole lot was less than 13,000 baht!

The drives were Western Digital (64 megs cache) at 4,900 each and the enclosure with all the cables and clear manual, etc, was 3,000.

It's pretty easy to put together but any shop will do it for you.
    Attached Files
    SHEMALE.CENTER
    World's Greatest Tgirl Cam Site.

More info on the HDD enclosure!

The one I bought differs slightly from the one show. Mine came with a SATA slot and cable also.
    Attached Files
    SHEMALE.CENTER

Comment

I have the same enclosure but the eSata model, w/ 2 1TB drives.
      I have it configured as Raid 1 Mirrored (everything gets written to both drives, if one goes bad the other still works).
      It is where I keep my important stuff, documents, my pictures, etc...

works like a champ, I think its been running non-stop since December.
      "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

I amended my post. Mine is the same model as yours with the SATA plug and cable.

Unfortunately, my laptop doesn't have a SATA port!  

The transfer rate between drives is a pretty average 18MBs/second... but it's well fast enough to stream video!
        SHEMALE.CENTER

Comment

I have mine plugged into a Linux server, with the overheating problems in Thailand I decided to go w/ an external housing rather than stick the two drives in the PC.
          I tested the Raid by removing one of the drives and verifying everything kept working.
          Did some speed tests also, and it was roughly the same speed as the internal drive.
          "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

Here are my drives...

I have 8.5 TBs attached to the laptop and over 2TBs on the WD Live player!

As you can see I am fast running out of space so the new 'Four TB' drive was almost a necessity!

Eventually I am going to replace the 'BIG_TV' drive with the new 'Four TB' drive which will have a copy of everything on the Storage Drives 1 & 2.

The extra 2 TB drive will be used to do continuous back ups of all the PCs on my network plus archive my movie collection!

Yowsa!
            Attached Files
            SHEMALE.CENTER

Comment

Working...
            X