X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pattaya cost and options for transportation to job

Hi. Hypothetical question... Assuming that you live in Pattaya but have a job 30-40kms out (say Chonburi north of PTY or about same distance East of PTY). What would the transportation options and costs be? Driver service?

Obviously I have thought about renting a place nearby as the first option. It would be cheap, but I'm not going to Thailand to bury myself in the boondocks, and then there would still be the transportation to PTY for fun, so it's almost 6 of one kind or half a dozen of the other

Not interested in purchasing a car or riding a motorcycle (either my own or riding on the back of one). Also, I don't know the region so I could be completely off the track with my questions. 40cliks/day is 160/day for the driver. Still, it would be interesting if you guys can put a figure on it, whatever it is will help weighing the options. Maybe renting in a northern or eastern suburb of PTY depending on the case. Would that make it much closer and are these viable options?

It's not urgent at all: not a done deal, but something I have to think about in the next few months. Any well-informed advice from permanent residents who know the ropes would be very welcome. There might be solutions or options I don't have any idea about.

thanks in advance

Mohawk

Idealy it'd be nice to walk to work or have easy to use public transport.

And you could also keep a place in Pattaya.

Monthly rentals are cheap and this also enables you top separate your real life from your mongering activities.

Just my opinion, I know there are plenty of guys here that enjoy the flexibilty of having a car.

Comment

if its a job on one of the industrial estates (Amata, Hemeraj etc), you will start to find it a right pain in the butt to use hired transport to get you there everyday. Your probably looking at circa 300b each way on a negotiated deal with a car & driver for that distance. You may want to seriously consider hiring or buying a car.

I'd also hazzard a guess that public transport is going to be a non viable option as these will likely only take you as far as the entrance to the estate, then you need a motorbike to get to the actual office/factory where your working - in any scenario is lots of changing just to save some baht.

Cheers
      Mardhi

Comment

My first question would be "What's your budget for this?"

My second thought would be whether your job would even allow you, or whether it would be wise to monger at all during the week considering that you might have to be up to whatever task the next morning. In such case living near your workplace would make a lot of sense. Then you could either keep a (modest) place in Pattaya for your weekend activities or work out a deal with a hotel of your choice to provide you with an appropriate room for those days.

On the other hand, you might want to consider a car and a personal driver who will chauffeur you there and back every day. But this brings me back to the budget question and you are running the risk of having your mongering activities out in the open with your driver and perhaps workmates visiting you, once lbs know where they can find you.

I, personally would separate my private life from my worklife and keep either off the grid of the other.

But then your personal details on the situation might shift any of the mentioned elements ...

Comment

Trust these guys...Both Mardhi and PD live in Pattaya and Mr. Chinaman is a frequent visitor...
          They are giving you very good advice...
          "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

Except the truth is I don't know squat about driving or working in Thailand.

Mardhi is most probably right that your workplace probably won't be easy to get to from any residential area.

But who knows IF your job is such that you can walk to work, that's what I do.

Comment

(mardhi @ May 01 2010,14:11) if its a job on one of the industrial estates (Amata, Hemeraj etc), you will start to find it a right pain in the butt to use hired transport to get you there everyday.    Your probably looking at circa 300b each way on a negotiated deal with a car & driver for that distance.        You may want to seriously consider hiring or buying a car.    

I'd also hazzard a guess that public transport is going to be a non viable option as these will likely only take you as far as the entrance to the estate, then you need a motorbike to get to the actual office/factory where your working - in any scenario is lots of changing just to save some baht.

Cheers
              Mardhi
              300b each way... that's an average of 21 * 600b per month, or 12600 baht.

Full time drivers (8 hours per day) are available for about 15k a month.

Forget public transport.

Out of interest, I'd like to know how much a private taxi company like Mr. T is going to charge for such a service.
              Best to give them a call.

The best thing of course would be to find a guy working at the same place and same hours who needs to ride on roughly the same route.

Comment

Yes Full Time driver is about 15K BUT he needs a car to drive - I doubt you will get a driver plus car for 15
                My advice would be live somewhere close to work during the week. Some factories have staff pick up - ask.

Rent a studio for weekend activity - Friday thru Sunday - you may get an unserviced room for as little as 5K per month.

Unless you actually live in town (Pattaya/Chonburi) you need your own transport.

Remember that Advice is Free - personal experience normally costs!

Comment

Always wise words from the chaps - good luck with the job Mohawk. Mardhi, Rossco... see you this week.

Comment

Thanks very much to all those who have replied: much appreciated.

To answer a couple of questions: for budget, 5-7 K's would be feasible and door-to-door is possible (it wouldn't be on an industrial estate) but I can see why this daily transportation idea won't fly. Buying a car would probably be the only sane option and I don't think I want to do that. That's a decision that a long-time resident might make after a while, but not a newb. Too other many things to worry about at the beginning...

One thing I should point out. My motives are not necessarily based on the question of mongering every day of the week (I ain't that young any more). But when you get back from work you can go eat to the restaurant of your choice in town etc.: you're not locked in a one-horse town In short, it has to do with the boredom factor: I'll be moving to the LOS to escape it, not re-create it Then there is the question of having supermarkets to shop at and buy the food that you like etc..  

If it comes to being able to travel to PTY only on week-ends, then living in Bangkok might be a better idea then. It's just a longer trip. I may have the option job-wise but lodgings and other costs will be higher or course.  

Still will have a lot of thinking to do, but thanks for helping me make the situation clearer.

Mohawk

Comment

Working...
                    X