First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sun position
    http://www.sunposition.info/sunposit...ocations.php#1

Comment

(PigDogg @ May 14 2010,08:04) Btw-According to Snopes, hemispherical variation of toilet flushing due to the Coriolis Force is an urban myth.
      Coriolis force works on things like weather depressions/cyclones because they are so big relative to the other factors that affect them.
      Thats why they go one way round in the northern hemisphere and the other way round in the southern hemisphere.

In theory it will also influence the direction the water rotates when it goes down a sink plug hole.
      But the volume of water is so small that the effect of the Earth's rotation will easily be overcome by other factors.
      ie. The shape of the sink, how many hairs are stuck in the plug hole etc.

RR.
      Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
      Kahuna

Comment

There was an article in Scientific American recently which alluded to reduced sunspot activity over the last two years maybe causing some strange weather fluctuations. It was complex but something to do with the way the lightwave length and the molecules in the clouds etc

Nought to do with overall Global warming but localised effects on part of the globe.

Comment

WTF, you guys. From what I'm hearing here central Bangkok is war zone. People are getting shot.
          Any of you guys on the scene have any info about what's happening?
          Thanks
          "Bankin' off of the northeast wind
          Salin' on a summer breeze
          And skippin' over the ocean, like a stone."
          -Harry Nilsson

Comment

(Tomcat @ May 14 2010,15:32) There was an article in Scientific American recently which alluded to reduced sunspot activity over the last two years maybe causing some strange weather fluctuations.
            It was complex but something to do with the way the lightwave length and the molecules in the clouds etc
            Sunspot activity varies over an 11 year cycle from high to low and then back.

A sunspot is really just a point of turbulence in the Sun's outer layers. Think of water boiling in a saucepan or kettle.
            The difference is instead of steam coming from the bubbles the sun ejects a stream of gas several million miles into space.

Some of the matter in that gas causes the radiation belts in the upper layers of the Earth's atmosphere to become electrically charged as it passes the Earth.
            Like rubbing a child's baloon on wool.

At times of intense sunspot activity the static charge is enough to cause problems with radio communications.
            In extreme cases it can destroy the electical sytems of satellites and affect delicate eletrical systems on the Earth's surface.

It's also known that there are effects on the Earth's weather.  But it's probably fair to say that these effects are still little understood.

RR.
            Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

Kahuna

Comment

(strocube @ May 14 2010,20:18) WTF, you guys. From what I'm hearing here central Bangkok is war zone. People are getting shot.
              Any of you guys on the scene have any info about what's happening?
              Thanks
              Hello Stocube,

There are a couple of threads already on the forum:-

BTS Closed
              Redshirt Leader Shot

Also have a look here.

And here.

Yes I am concerned for the people I know there, but no I'm not in Thailand at the moment so I don't know exactly what is happening.

RR.

Kahuna

Comment

Working...
              X