Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A book to read (cure for insomnia and unavailbale in Thailand) is The King Never Smiles.

The book is a very well researched tome BUT the first 200 pages (of 400) are background.

It is a  very good insight to the way things work here.

This is not a democracy but seen as a benevolent monarchy. Only you can decide.

In some ways I envy the Thai attitude - simplistic/acceptance. Are they right or wrong?
    We cannot judge from a Western perspective.

Take Iraq or Afghanistan - has the West really made a difference?

Our Western style democracy may work in our homelands but who are we to say it WILL work in other cultures/economies?

China has been 'Left' for a long time but, guess what, they are successful.

Every regime may have its day.

Thailand has had a monarchy for a long time - total control. In the 1930's that changed and there was NO monarchy. Until the current King - 1947.

Today the King has been in power for longer than any monarch - 60+ years. The people know no different. Why should they change.

Is a President a better ruler? George Bush Jr. Sarkosy etc

Time will tell but external/Western interference will only cause grief and I would be wary of their motives........

Comment

I'm with you on this Rossco- when the Sep 06 coup happened there was complete indifference amongst the 'normal' Thais in Phuket. Online forums such as thaigeezer had a field day on the other hand. So long as Somchai has his cooking oil and rice at fixed prices, and at least basic education ( secondary as well under Abhsit if i recall correctly) what the 'elite' do doesn't affect him on a day to day basis. A comparison to NI doesn't equate- I spent approx 7 years of my career there and 99% of the population were unaffected by the events (although the feckers did try to blow me up 3 times!!). Press and speculation generate and inflate issues like this- it's a non-event.
      I couldn't give a shit how long it is until you're next holiday- I live here

Comment

The red shirts will win nothing it will be the Puea Thai Party or the old Thai Rak Thai. I think now they are more worried about the flooding in some parts of the country.

It will be interesting to see how the support for red shirts or lack of transfers over to the Puea Thai Party at election.

Comment

Working...
        X