Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For health reasons ( I am serious ), I need to relocate in 2012. I needsome advice on the culture shock that many BM's went through when they left. Most importantly how they severed the ties and the good incomes.
    TEXASMAC

Look back through some of the posts I have made years ago in the Life and Living section... the same applies today.

I'll also answer any questions on the forum... as I'm sure will a few others.

Good luck with the move - you won't regret it!
    The Ladyboy Quest... It just goes on and on and on!

Comment

Best of luck TEXASMAC... make sure you have crunched the numbers before leaving a solid job in these times.

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

Thailand caters to every budget big and small...

Surprisingly even the lower end scale is comfortable and enjoyable if you are armed mentally about what may happen to you.

When I get back to Thailand later this year get in touch and come over for a visit and we can have a long sit down chat about the ins and outs...

Comment

I would love to blame the health issues on my company but in all honesty I am most the problem. I manage about 300 people and I am a worrier by nature that I only sleep about 4 hours a night. I want to wait till December because I will get my annual bonus which is about 23k after taxes. I am not materialistic and there was an article on Yahoo about a man who lives on about 800 bhat a month. Of course it said he mostly eats free at Temples. I did check into a few schools to be an English Teacher and they said the teacher pay is about 33,000 Bhat a month. They also say they will help get a job and work Visa. One school is the same school that Titian attended. My plan is to come for 2 weeks in January 2012 and get things situated. Come back from Texas and then quit. I want to make my savings accessable but I dont want to touch my 401K.
          TEXASMAC

Comment

Tex, your timing is good to be getting out of the US. Blind Freddy can see there must be a major correction... or worse, coming to the US economy. No one knows how it will play out but if you follow some of the big name investors, they have been advising for some time for everybody to be extra cautious in the US equities market. In other words, get the hell out. History will prove how prescient they have been.

I believe there are big penalties if you access your 401K early but if there is any way to get your money out due to early retirement or on compassionate grounds, there are better opportunities in Asia. I suggest you look into some of the investment funds operating in Bangkok or China. I know where I would rather have my money.

The little I know about English teaching jobs tells me you aren't likely to land anything worth having,. You don't speak Thai, something they value, you're not in the first blush of youth & you are about a foot taller than the average student. But I have been wrong before so don't be deterred.

As for the guy living on 800 baht a month, it would be ridiculous to even imagine doing it so lean. 800 a day wouldn't see you living in luxury. You are on a steep learning curve but most of your questions can be answered right here.
            Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

(pacman @ Jul. 01 2011,09:19) You don't speak Thai, something they value...
              Incorrect. In fact speaking Thai as an English teacher is frowned upon.

Knowing Thai won't make any difference to what kind of job you can get teaching English.

In many instances your age is an advantage. Younger teachers are not taken seriously by students or their parents or by other teachers!

If you have any kind of degree, are presentable and willing then you can teach legally for a reasonable wage.

You will have to learn NOT to be a worrier and time in Thailand will help you along that path. In fact moving here and adapting to the ways of your new culture will add a decade to your life.

Comment

When it dawns on you - and you embrace the fact - that justice and fairness are myths not to be pursued and fought for then you will have achieved enlightenment!

Comment

Tex....you mention health as the chief reason for your need to relocate  

Reading you excellent trip reports, I seem to recall that you have spent many days in Pattaya holed up in your hotel room while your system recovers from ingestion of food not suited to your system.

Presumably your masochistic tendencies require further exploration

Comment

(L B Q @ Jul. 01 2011,13:09) Incorrect. In fact speaking Thai as an English teacher is frowned upon.

Knowing Thai won't make any difference to what kind of job you can get teaching English.
                    I shouldn't be surprised to read that, after all, you have taught English in LOS, I haven't.

BUT...    I specifically read on a Thai forum on a thread about finding teaching jobs in LOS that a few posters bemoaned their lack of Thai as a major obstacle in landing a job because "now schools were more & more looking for Thai speakers to teach English".

I could probably find the reference but it matters little, Tex only needs one job & as it isn't compulsory than he still is in the race.

In fact moving here and adapting to the ways of your new culture will add a decade to your life.
                    I thoroughly agree with this. The slower pace of life, the abundance of quality food, the possibility of having your sex life continue for many years longer than it would at home, your quality of life will improve immeasurably.
                    Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

Well, Thai teachers (or people who want to teach English) may tell you it helps to know Thai but I can tell you that it doesn't impress parents of students one bit to hear an English teacher speaking Thai to their kids. It's a definite 'no no.' There are plenty of THAI English teachers who can do that!

Comment

Congradulations, Now thw hard part, where do you want to live, what kind of visa do you want and what do you qualify for, the easiest is to obtain an non-immigrant type O and convert to a retirement extension of stay. The only problem with that is you cannot legally work if on a retirement extension of stay
                        I stayed in Chiang Mai for 6 months and will be going back later this year. I still have a house and children I visit here in New mexico.
                        Depending on what comes up or not I will stay longer this coming year and next. I enjoyed my stay but I have also been coming to Thailand since 1998 and have travelled around a lot.
                        Its a hard one to say do this or that because we are each different.

I have a friend who lives in Bangkok married and two children. His parents came out a few years ago and stayed for 9 months and they loved it. They went back home to visit relatives and friends for a while. Well they came back last year and will be going home never to come back. This trip just wasn't the same as last time (the new had worn off). They also couldn't get health insurance this time and over all it just wasn't the same experience as the first time.

What is your boredom level are you someone who has to be doing something, to feel worth while, to feel productive, or just to have something to do. I just do not get bored no matter what I do or not do, so setting around and talking and visiting reading a book or sleeping, while waiting for the girl friend to get off work doesn't bother me.

Lots of things to think about, full time is different than coming for 2 weeks to fuck your brains out

Comment

O forgot if you are a normal human being you cannot live on 800baht a month

Comment

Some good points from moe666... especially about how you will occupy your time.

The first year or so should be an adventure. Getting set up and finding your comfort level, etc.

If you are thinking about Bangkok or Pattaya as a base then you won't really be escaping from your current stress levels... but then again - these places are the most fun and they do cater to farangs!

If you are serious about the move I'd rent an apartment/room for 6 months first and get the whole 'move' out of your system first. Go to Pattaya and fuck as much as you can and use your time there to go to other cities to check them out.

You'll go to one town and instantly feel "This is it - This is home!"

If you do, then the rest is easy.

Personally - I fell in love with Hua Hin when I was a single chappy. I knew it was the right place for me from the very moment I set foot in that town many years ago.

Comment

Working...
                            X