X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thailand Visa

I called the Thai Emb in NYC on my drive up.  Half way there I was told you can not come today, I must apply next day because they close 12pm(that time changed between 12, 12:30 and 1pm).  So okay now I may need to push my flight back 2 days.

The Really bad part is the woman tells me I can only apply Tourist Visa good for 60 days and only get a 2 entry one at most.  I asked her name she asked why....I told her because I got different info before.  You all know TIT Crap, yes even here

I explained I wanted multi entry visa and that I had one year off work and would be in and out of LOS, because they asked.  They told me can not have it because I am not working there just vacation so need tourist visa.  She further explains I need a criminal background check, Job Offer from a school on letter and some other crap, I tuned out at that point.

I get transfered to a guy now, because she will not give her name or clear info but tells me a "name" after 4 times asking.

The Guy Says about the same things but adds "you maybe can get 2 or 3 entry tourist visa but no a multi entry visa  non immg"....etc.

Then he adds maybe his boss will say okay but maybe not, and adds the line "this is not my problem goodbye"...click.  I stopped driving came back and Here I am begging for help.

I want to scream cry and jump into the river.....
    The Flight and my ride and all those plans are now delayed
    I really need help.
    Thanks in Advance  
    You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

This is from Thai Web SIte (ThaiEmb)
    http://www.thaiembdc.org/index.htm

NON-IMMIGRANT VISA
    (May required the approval from the Ministry Concerns from Thailand in case by case and required invitation letter from Thailand)
    Purpose of visit: BUSINESS and CONFERENCE (requiring the business letter with letter-head explains purpose of visit, also included name of company, organization or mission and address in Thailand), RESEARCH, MASS MEDIA or MISSIONARY (requiring the letter with letter-head from company, agency or organization sending you on your mission, and also the letter from your counterpart in Thailand and prove of verification of the institution). EDUCATION (requiring the letter with the letter-head from educational institution in Thailand). TEACHING (requiring the letter with the letter-head from educational institution in Thailand and verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record from the country of his/her nationality or residence) . FAMILY REUNION (requiring marriage or birth certificates and prove of Thai citizen). SETTLEMENT AFTER RETIREMENT (requiring proof of retirement and financial support). MEDICAL TREATMENT (requiring letter from licensed doctor). (Maximum stay 90 days, extension of stay may be applied in Thailand.)
    TOURIST VISA
    Purpose of visit: for pleasure purpose only (requiring copy of airtime ticket or itenery).
    (Maximum stay 60 day, extension of stay may be applied in Thailand.)

Comment

I gave you the link on another thread...but here it is again...

http://www.thai-or.com/

The Hororary Thai Consulate in Portland, Oregon...it's an hororary consulate...no Thai's work there...only Americans...you can express mail and enclose a prepaid express mail envelope in the package and you will have your visa in 2 days...just look at the application...you can apply for 3 tourist visas at one time...270 days before you have to reapply for 3 more...or you can apply for a Non-Immigrant visa either single or multi entry...call the Assistant Consulate Mary, she is very helpful...
      "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

I am checking it out, thanks.

Comment

Dear, oh dear... there's some bad planning gone into this! No homework at all (until the final hour!)

First (and biggest) mistake - dealing with an embassy and not a consulate.

Second mistake - not having a clear objective for a Non Imm B Multi Entry type Visa - It's not a tourist visa so being a tourist won't get you one! Should have said "I'm buying land for my retirement house..." or "I'm looking to start a business venture, and am scouting for property and financing..."

Third error of judgement - leaving it all last minute and assuming that a government organisation (especially a Thai one) would work to your schedule!

Still - you can still fly out here and get a 'Visa On Arrival" and that's good for 30 days. But you'll have to do a 'border run for the next 60 days and then leave for 90 days!

Best option of course is a consulate that will issue you a Non Imm B Multi Entry, second is a 60 day tourist visa and add 30 days on to it... but then you'll have to leave for 90 days after that!

Sorry the news isn't better, but some pretty poor planning and lack of homework has probably screwed you if you were thinking of spending a year here...

Comment

(stogie bear @ Jul. 24 2007,02:32) Best option of course is a consulate that will issue you a Non Imm B Multi Entry, second is a 60 day tourist visa and add 30 days on to it... but then you'll have to leave for 90 days after that!
            No...no...no...with a tourist visa (at least the one issued by the Honorary Consulate in Portland) they will stack 3 visas (they will issue 3 visas at the same time)...you have to leave after 90 days (including the 30 day extension) but you can return on the next visa...and since they are already issued to you and stamped on your passport you don't have to return to USA...you can simply cross the border and return...and when the last one expires...you can return to the states and have 3 more issued...at least that is the way the Consulate explained it to me...

My understanding is, it is only if you do not have a visa that you can only stay for a max of 90 days (with border runs) and then you must stay out of country for a 90 day period before you can re-enter...

Using a 60 day tourist visa I don't stay out for 90 days before I return...This year I spent 90 days in LOS came home for 45 days and then returned for 60 days...and I'll be back in Sept...

From Portland Consulate web page:

New Visa Fees Effective July 2, 2007

Tourist
            $30.00 per 60-day entry VISA APPLICATION
            1, 2 or 3 entries available @ $30.00 per entry
            Transit
            $25.00 per entry
            Non-Immigrant
            B _ O_
            $60.00 90 Days
            $150.00 One year
            "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

(stogie bear @ Jul. 24 2007,02:32) Second mistake - not having a clear objective for a Non Imm B Multi Entry type Visa - It's not a tourist visa so being a tourist won't get you one! Should have said "I'm buying land for my retirement house..." or "I'm looking to start a business venture, and am scouting for property and financing..."
              Well SB,

It May not be to late.  They have no clue who I am since I bailed before arrival  thus giving me a second chance albeit I most certainly need to rearrange my flight.

Any Ideas?  I was thinking retirment home would work best for me if they dont question me age.  A post here or PM would be great in reagrds to Flushing out Ideas.

Comment

1. Buying/Leasing a vacation Property

2. Planning for retirement

3. Buying a business - not a bar, something more like a hotel or import/export that will involve the hiring of a load of Thais.

4. Sourcing supplies for a company back in the states.
                seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

(kahuna @ Jul. 24 2007,03:01)
                  (stogie bear @ Jul. 24 2007,02:32) Best option of course is a consulate that will issue you a Non Imm B Multi Entry, second is a 60 day tourist visa and add 30 days on to it... but then you'll have to leave for 90 days after that!
                  No...no...no...with a tourist visa (at least the one issued by the Honorary Consulate in Portland) they will stack 3 visas (they will issue 3 visas at the same time)...you have to leave after 90 days (including the 30 day extension) but you can return on the next visa...and since they are already issued to you and stamped on your passport you don't have to return to USA...you can simply cross the border and return...and when the last one expires...you can return to the states and have 3 more issued...at least that is the way the Consulate explained it to me...

My understanding is, it is only if you do not have a visa that you can only stay for a max of 90 days (with border runs) and then you must stay out of country for a 90 day period before you can re-enter...

Using a 60 day tourist visa I don't stay out for 90 days before I return...This year I spent 90 days in LOS came home for 45 days and then returned for 60 days...and I'll be back in Sept...
                   Dam these people all have a different thoughts and they work there  

I did get they idea also Kahuna that no visa upon arrival is the worst in regards to out for 90 and in for 90 days.

Somehow another guy in DC has stated I need the 60 day visa and can extend it while there for up to 30 days.  Then I must leave.  It Seems that the 90 day rule while not apply if that is done.

He was not super clear on if I could repeat the above right after.

Comment

(katoeylover @ Jul. 24 2007,05:08) 1. Buying/Leasing a vacation Property

3. Buying a business - not a bar, something more like a hotel or import/export that will involve the hiring of a load of Thais.

Great Ideas KL
                    ....are they going to ask for proof?

Comment

If you've left it this late my advice would be go to the embassy ask for 2 x Tourist Visa (They can issue a 3 x, but recently seem to prefer not to issue them.) As Kahuna said you can then apply for a 30 day extension to each. (So you then have 6months covered.) I just did this exact scenario except I didnt extend as I had to return early.

You then have the option at that time to use the 3 x 30day walkin visa (So that would be 9months covered.)or leave to another country such as SG and apply for another 2 x Tourist Visa. (Tourist Visa's can be issued  in most countries and there is currently no limit on the number that can be applied for, about the only problem is each application uses one page of your passport.)

Each application takes approx 3 days to process.

If you want the Multi then the paperwork is more complex and the approval can take longer and it can only be issued in your home country.

Comment

(SamplerDoc @ Jul. 23 2007,21:10)
                        (katoeylover @ Jul. 24 2007,05:08) 1. Buying/Leasing a vacation Property

Great Ideas KL
                        ....are they going to ask for proof?
                        I dont know, but wouldnt think so. what would you need - a few house brochures, details of your job...

wing it and see for first interview, if they ask for proof you can always get it later.
                        seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

Do not go to the Thai visa website for info you will be more confused when you leave than when you arrived.

Go the Kahuna route, send to portland with return Fed ex pre paid and you can have it back in no time.

Afriend got his retirement visa, sent it off one day back the next, signed sealed and delivered.This was the DC embassy. The non-immigrant for work is a pain, also an option is to get your 60 day visa go to Thailand and sign up for a language school and they will get you a student visa. This has been advertised on the Thai-visa web site.

Good luck

Comment

Do not give up so quick, you can also do visa runs to Penang they seem to be the destination of choice for 60 day visa. So use up your three stacked visas with extensions and then go to Penang for another.

Comment

Guys.........You all Have some Great Ideas, Thank You All so Much.
                              I am sure something will work, hopefully before gray hair and a heart attack    

My Lesson Learned is VISA First and then worry about airfare.  Hopefully this is all helpful so that none of you have to go thru this

When I get there and somehow dam it I will    on Me

Comment

Working...
                              X