Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Chance of a Lifetime

Well long story short.................
    Sometime ago on some board I piggybacked, and wrote I was thinking about a year off from work to Live in LOS anywhere from a month to a year and was not sure if I could or should do it.

I followed all the paperwork requirements at work and was granted that year off

The good news, bad news and fine print are:
    I have off now from June 2007 to August 2008.
    I will be paid 50% of normal pay and maintain Health care coverage.

The trade off is I must complete 18 Graduate credits or 6 classes using the 3 credit average.

Now the Big question is...........
    Do I go to LOS for a week or month or year?
    When do I go there, as in which month is best since my time is flexible

Do I live there in Pattaya or BKK?

Do I instead make several shorter trips?

What is the current VISA situation?

Also seems its a bad exchange rate compared to last year, so any thoughts on that one?

My time off starts in just 2 weeks and I have NO Plan for either the 18 credits or trips to LOS but need a plan fast.

Guys I really need your input, Thanks Big Time in Advance
    You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Stay in Bangkok for a month or so and try and do some credits at one of the Universites there, but what does your fiance think of this?

Exchange rates are down by about 5% on last year, but better changing your money in the LOS than in the USA.

Shorter trips - more expense...

Enjoy!!!
    seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

Hope this doesn't mean things are off re: the marriage!

Here is some info regarding visas:

Visa Update

About moving to Bangkok

Moving to Bangkok

There is a website called Thaivisa.com it has some useful information there regarding visas. However not all the information there is accurate so best to double check it as well.

I agree with KL it is far better to change your money in LOS as the rates there are better than the posted rates outside of Thailand.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
      Membership Levels
      The Rookie Thread
      New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
      Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Do the courses extramural/distance learning. Live in Thailand while doing it as living costs are lower.

Comment

Thanks Guys...
          No... the Marriage is still on, matter of fact, last night when I asked her about this, she said, " Lets get a place in Pattaya and live there for a month

Its a start

Coursework via distance learning is a great idea and thanks for the current Visa link

Comment

Go for it, if you don't you will always be asking yourself what if. There is a Websters University Branch in Thailand.
            To get a sabbatical is once in a life time. Also there will always be many reasons not to do it but only one reason to do it, because you can.
            What ever you decide don't look back.

Comment

moe is on the ball- just do it. but why restrict yourself to los- travel about a bit.. see the world (and it's LBs)

Comment

There are several MBA courses in Bangkok, that aren't 'too hard' (hint, hint). No shit. Try Kellogg's MBA.

Comment

(ziggystardust @ Jun. 03 2007,04:37) There are several MBA courses in Bangkok, that aren't 'too hard' (hint, hint). No shit. Try Kellogg's MBA.
                   Not the Breakfast Folks, I hope

Comment

I think the US dollar, I assume you're a fellow Yank, is actually down about 25-30% in value to the baht over last year or year and a half. It's pretty significant b/c when I first went I was getting 40 baht to the dollar and now I think it's hovering around 32/33 although I think it has yo-yoed a bit.

My advice would be to spend a large chunk of time there and have that experience. The multiple trips would be grinding and time-consuming, not to mention expensive.

Keep us updated on your situation!
                    I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

Yep DP, I am and Yes the USD is Mighty Low as of Late

I Still am Tossing Around the Idea of a stay of Several Months vs a few Trips over During a Years Time.

Why You May Ask...
                      The Phil LB here in NY I was planning on Marrying.
                      Bad Timing to Get Both a Great Sexy Phil LB here in the States and a Year off from Work with Half Pay

Comment

Hello SamplerDoc,

The biggest expense is the airfare.  That is why I would say do one long trip.

You can get a better rate on an apartment if you rent for more than one month  -  probably at least a 20% discount  -  maybe better than that.
                        Check the rates for water and electricity though as they often load these to get their money back on a low advertised rate.

As the guys above said there are university credits available if you do your homework  

Travel costs are very low even in Bangkok so don't worry too much if your apartment is not close to the university.

For the money side  -  do not change any money in the US.  You get a much better rate in Thailand.
                        Do set up a credit/debit card that does not charge for foreign exchanges.  I can't give you information for US banks/debit cards but I'm sure someone like Snick or others can.
                        (For UK readers a Nationwide Flex account and debit card is the way to go).
                        Do have a back up card or money source.
                        Forget about Thai bank accounts  -  from my own experience they are NO advantage and are not worth the hassle  

Why not take your PI ladyboy with you?   At least she should not have any problems getting a visa for Thailand.

RR.
                        Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                        Kahuna

Comment

Thanks RR ,

Looks like I will bring her with me, My Phil LB (future wife).

She wants Boobs Done in LOS.
                          I need course Credits.

We Both want Time Away.  I Can Not Imagine it Will Cost too Much More for Two of Us Staying there vs just Me?

I need to Take Her for Many Reasons, but Mostly, if We are Marrying I Can Not Leave Her Behind.

I set up an account with HSBC in the States, so I hope that helps with Rates and Ease of Getting Cash.

Still Have no Idea where we should stay....either in Pattaya or BKK and how long.

Still Considering taking US Online Classes and this way work at my own pace.

Also, Considering several trips for a month or two at a time due to her working as a RN in the states, unless she takes time off too but then No Income from her, just my 50%.

Any other Ideas or Thoughts Guys?

Thanks again  

Comment

well doc franckly speaking if you come in Thai alone for few months you come just to fuck lbs dont you?
                            so i suppose it all depends how much you care of you relation, if you care you should come in Thai once a year and go in places like Kho Chang or Hua Hing
                            Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same. -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

Hello SamplerDoc,

OK  -  planB  -  go out the first time and stay in a hotel for a week or so and do some appartment hunting. Find a place that suits and rent it long term.
                              You can find them furnished and all you will need is sheets, pillows, plates, and cutlery. You can buy these at about 1/2 the price you pay in the US and leave them behind when you go home.

Do a plan for for how long you want to stay out each time and when you fly back.
                              If you can fly on the days when it's cheaper and book well in advance (60 days+) then you can make good savings on you airfares.

Sounds like you have the bank account sorted.  Do they charge on ATM withdrawls made abroad?
                              I would say take some travellers cheques as a back up if your card gets stolen.  You can normaly get them refunded at no extra charge if you don't use them.

The bus from Pattaya to Bangkok I think is about 3 hours and costs around 130 Baht these days.
                              A taxi would take about 2 hours or just a touch longer and I guess will be about 1300-1500 Baht. (Anyone know better?)
                              So you could stay in one and do a day/overnight trip to the other.

RR.
                              Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                              Kahuna

Comment

Working...
                              X