Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a new TV in BKK or Surin

Hiya,
    In September when I move to BKK, I need to buy a couple of TV's, can anyone suggest a good place to buy one? I know many places like Big C or Tesco are decent places, but I didn't know if anyone had a special tip/place to pick up a deal.

Any info is very much appreciated,
    Nhscotsman

HomePro
    Better models, will do install and although they might deny it at first, they WILL haggle
    "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

ps. Watch out for a 'deal'
      You have almost no consumer protection in Thailand, only the biggest stores will stand by their product. Service wise, most will just smile and do nothing once they got your money.
      "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

Depends what you want TV wise - if its just a regular 25-29" TV, probably as well to buy it at Tesco or somewhere - 29" regular tv's are now about 7-10k depending on the brand. If its a Plasma or LCD that you want installed on a wall - Home pro is good in Bangkok - not so sure about in Surin.

Cheers
        Mardhi

Comment

As I said before......

Thai customer service         ........             ........    

The other place I would suggest is Central  -  but I don't know if there is one in Surin.
          Snick probably has the best idea  -  HomePro does actually have a customer service desk in the stores I've been in and normally they can produce someone who speaks reasonable English.

RR.
          Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
          Kahuna

Comment

(Snick @ Jul. 21 2007,13:13) HomePro
            Better models, will do install and although they might deny it at first, they WILL haggle
            Their installers are a bit young but seem to know what they're doing.

Comment

(Bam @ Jul. 21 2007,18:41)
              (Snick @ Jul. 21 2007,13:13) HomePro
              Their installers are a bit young but seem to know what they're doing.

Bam,
              I opened this up first thing this morning, my eyes aren't even open yet and it made me laugh like hell...haha. Thanks for the early morning laugh...haha.

Thanks to the rest of you for the replies. I am looking for a 21" or 29" one, plus I also need to light fixtures too, so maybe Home Pro will be the best "One Stop Shopping" experience for me, the newbie full time resident in Thailand. Plus, I know there is a Home Pro in Surin. What surprised me was that they indeed sell TV's at Home Pro.....FANTASTIC. My GF's idea is to go to the closest and buy whatever is needed when it's "my" money we are using. When I'm buying, I look for the buy. With regards to standing behind what they sell, I have found many Thai's don't worry about being able to take things back if something goes wrong, they look at initial price and complain later on if the item dies or breaks.
              Thanks sooo much for all the help and if anyone can add to this, PLEASE do!
              See you on September 14th at Guess Bar....wooohoooo.
              Nhscotsman

Comment

As has been suggested - size matters! What inch size are you talking about here?

Comment

(stogie bear @ Jul. 21 2007,20:03) As has been suggested - size matters! What inch size are you talking about here?
                  Hi Stogie bear,
                  I'm looking for either a 21" or a 29", it's for my gf's mother, so I don't want to go HUGE but I don't want it to be tiny either. Considering they don't have anything, even a 21" would be great. if I see a sale on a 29" I'd buy it. But as a few have mentioned, buying some place that will stad behind it if it dies is very important too.
                  Nhscotsman

Comment

nhscotsman, since you know there is a Homepro in Surin, if you want to get the 29" TV, get it there. It would be difficult to get a 29" TV to fit into a taxi from Bkk - Surin, you would need a pickup truck or a van.

Since you are looking for light fixtures too, maybe you can negotiate a discount depending on how much you will be spending.

Also the Surin Homepro would likely provide home delivery for free or a nominal fee - which is very useful for a 29" TV!

Best wishes for your move to LOS and the potential in-laws! I suppose your gf is an lb?

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
                    Membership Levels
                    The Rookie Thread
                    New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
                    Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Yep - for a 29" just buy local.

Comment

If its for the inlaws who have no TV at the moment, I wouldnt waste the money and would just buy a 21" - currently going out for about 4,000b and thats a Sony model. Sony 29" is around 9000 baht last time I looked. You can pick up LG and Samsung for less than that - and lets face it, when was the last time a TV went wrong? I have never had any problems with any TV's ever since I have owned them. So provided to stick some well known brand, doubt your going to have much in the way of service issues.

Cheers
                        Mardhi

Comment

(rxpharm @ Jul. 22 2007,03:40) nhscotsman, since you know there is a Homepro in Surin, if you want to get the 29" TV, get it there. It would be difficult to get a 29" TV to fit into a taxi from Bkk - Surin, you would need a pickup truck or a van.

Since you are looking for light fixtures too, maybe you can negotiate a discount depending on how much you will be spending.

Also the Surin Homepro would likely provide home delivery for free or a nominal fee - which is very useful for a 29" TV!

Best wishes for your move to LOS and the potential in-laws! I suppose your gf is an lb?
                          Yeah, I was thinking just what you were thinking. I wasn't aware you could go into Homepro and deal for a better price on numerous things. This would be a first for me when it comes to a store like this. Plus, if I can get them to deliver too, what a plus that would be. My only concern would be getting them the actual address to my GF's house, it's actually a village about 40 minutes from Surin. This whole village things is tough when it comes to directions. They don't even have street signs...haha.
                          As far as moving to LOS, I'm so thrilled to finally make the move, I can't wait.
                          Thanks for the GREAT suggestions.
                          Nhscotsman

Comment

(mardhi @ Jul. 22 2007,04:12) If its for the inlaws who have no TV at the moment, I wouldnt waste the money and would just buy a 21" - currently going out for about 4,000b and thats a Sony model. Sony 29" is around 9000 baht last time I looked. You can pick up LG and Samsung for less than that - and lets face it, when was the last time a TV went wrong? I have never had any problems with any TV's ever since I have owned them. So provided to stick some well known brand, doubt your going to have much in the way of service issues.

Cheers
                            Mardhi
                            I know what you mean....considering my GF's 60 year old mother goes next door to see TV, a 21" would be the lap of luxury compared to how she sees TV now...haha. The TV is a gesture on my part, so I will definitely price shop and get the best deal, be it a 21" or a 29". Plus on top of it, I still have to buy something for the TV to sit on too...so there is a item I have to pick up too.
                            Thanks,
                            Nhscotsman

Comment

A 29" TV will fit in the back of a cab no problem, if you take it out of the box and fold the box up in the boot (trunk.)

Comment

Working...
                              X