X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching in Thailand

From time to time the topic of teaching in Thailand comes up, and I know there are other sites that are specifically forums and resources for those who want to teach there.

I've always gotten the impression that most people are talking about teaching ESL, or English classes in a high school / primary school setting.

What about teaching at the college level, and teaching other subjects, such as literature, psychology, economics, marketing, computers, or graphic design?

I was just thinking it might be really cool to teach economics to a bunch of Thai university students. If you really love the country and the people, and wanted to give something back, I can't think of anything more valuable than to change their economic understanding.

If anyone has any experience or awareness of teaching at the college level in Thailand, in any subjects other than English, I'd be interested in hearing what you know.

On a completely unrelated note... This girl I know just sent me a text message saying "I luv u" completely out of the blue, so I'm feeling all hippie and dopey- so now's my chance to say I love you guys.

Teaching college students something other than English will certainly test your character. For the most part they may show an interest in you, your life and the subject that you are teaching, but don't confuse idle curiosity for a zest for education.

If you really want to teach young adults who want to learn something of future value to them then you are probably better off doing it for a corporation and getting paid for it. (Don't forget that being a uni teacher is the worst paid in Thailand. Worse than high schools and a lot worse than corporates.) Of course if you get with an international school program or a top private university then you are made, but I doubt many of us are qualified for that and these places do a lot of hiring directly from abroad.

With a bit of preparation and some interesting materials you can make a good living writing and 'performing' seminars for corporations on many subjects from 'The Cultural Approach to Business in Europe' or 'Linguistics In A Multi Language Work Place' to 'Computerised Communication Protocols in an Ever Changing Business Climate...'

Corporations love this stuff and if you can spin these programs out for a couple of days and make them fun then you can make 30K in a weekend.

I know because I've done it for firms such as Unacol, Nike, Novartis, Reuters, Johnson & Johnson, etc and loads more besides.

But for a truly rewarding experience... move to the boonies and teach a class of local kids for free once a week!

Comment

(stogie bear @ Jun. 06 2007,15:57) But for a truly rewarding experience... move to the boonies and teach a class of local kids for free once a week!
      I wouldn't mind doing that.  A being an Uni faculty member would work for me too since salary is not all that important.

I'm thinking if an outfit like J&J would pay 30K for a weekend, maybe they'd want to hire a guy like me full time somewhere between a Thai salary and an ex pat package.

Anyone know of a list of the Top 20 American employers in Bangkok.  Would also be especially interested in Insurance companies, i know AIG has subsidiaries in BKK.

Comment

The best way to answer your question about the top 20 American employers in Thailand would probably to look at Thailand's major industries and you should be able to decipher some major players. I'd guess that main sectors for foreign involvement might be in financial services (banking, securities, insurance), textiles, and logistics?
        I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

I'd guess that main sectors for foreign involvement might be in financial services (banking, securities, insurance), textiles, and logistics?
          auto sector
          Mister Arse

Comment

(Stewart @ Jun. 09 2007,12:33)
            I'd guess that main sectors for foreign involvement might be in financial services (banking, securities, insurance), textiles, and logistics?
            auto sector
            Autos? Really? While I've seen a lot of Toyotas and Hondas in BKK, I don't recall ever seeing that many American cars like Fords, Chevys, Chryslers, Jeeps, etc...

If I had to guess, I would think Ford would be the biggest employer of all the domestics as I think they do have a truck plant in Thailand somewhere. However, I would never have guessed it to be a major industry for foreign, or more appropriatrely, American companies.
            I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

(stogie bear @ Jun. 06 2007,22:57) But for a truly rewarding experience... move to the boonies and teach a class of local kids for free once a week!
              We visited Herself's school last year and I met her English teachers.   Their 'English?' was very poor to say the least.
              I have lots of experience of dealing with people for whom English is their second language and I can only say that these people were probably the least competent I have met for a long time!
              And they were supposed to teach it!

Anyway.... after some urging I was pressed to 'teach' three classes during that afternoon.  The kids were all around 12-13 and were very well behaved.

I just did a talk about the UK  -  the 4 different countries that make it up  -  the money  -  that we had a Queen as opposed to a King and a system of government that was very like Thailand.

I have serious doubts that they understood what I was talking about even though I kept it very simple,  talked very slowly and clearly and did my best to put on an 'act' to keep their interest.

As Stogie says it was rewarding and I think the kids did have a bit of fun seeing someone different who came from a strange country.

RR.
              Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
              Kahuna

Comment

(dummy_plug @ Jun. 10 2007,08:42)
                (Stewart @ Jun. 09 2007,12:33)
                auto sector
                Autos? Really? While I've seen a lot of Toyotas and Hondas in BKK, I don't recall ever seeing that many American cars like Fords, Chevys, Chryslers, Jeeps, etc...

If I had to guess, I would think Ford would be the biggest employer of all the domestics as I think they do have a truck plant in Thailand somewhere. However, I would never have guessed it to be a major industry for foreign, or more appropriatrely, American companies.
                Sorry, more precisely, auto component manufacturing

http://www.business-in-asia.com/automotive_main.html
                Mister Arse

Comment

Working...
                X