First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lese Majeste

As reported in The Nation March 12/07

Swiss man faces prison for lese majeste

CHIANG MAI A Swiss man faces up to 75 years in prison after pleading guilty Monday to charges of insulting Thailand's king, a serious offence in a nation where the monarch is revered.

Oliver Jufer, 57, was arrested on December 5 for defacing several of the king's ubiquitous portraits with spray paint during a drunken spree through the northern city of Chiang Mai, 700 kilometres (400 miles) north of Bangkok.

He was charged with five counts of lese majeste - the crime of offending the dignity of a sovereign as well as lesser charges of destruction of public property.

If convicted he faces up to 75 years in prison, according to police, 15 for each of the counts of lese majeste.

"He pleaded guilty, and the court set a date for the verdict on March 29," one court official said.

Agence France-Presse

This would include defacing the King's image on Baht notes, coins, and of course any verbal abuse of the King.

It has been commented on past posts in the forum, Thais take this very seriously, so keep this in mind while you are in Thailand and/or around Thai people outside of Thailand.

As our long time forum member Blueballz says "Be careful out there!"

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
    Membership Levels
    The Rookie Thread
    New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
    Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

He'll probably be allowed to leave the country after a ten year prison sentance!

What a fucking idiot. 57 years old and doing shit like this!

Comment

(rxpharm @ Mar. 13 2007,00:24)  A Swiss man faces up to 75 years in prison
      Thats a long stretch. The good old Swiss eh!

Its is often said in high society that in 40 years the Italians had bloodshed , murder and strife but gave us the Rennaissance, Leonardo De Vinci and Michelangelo

The Swiss had peace, neutrality and 500 years of brotherly love and all they could show us was the Cuckoo Clock.

Comment

Don't forget the chocolate!

Comment

I bet he wont do it again
          Your got yer Mother in a whirl
          Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

(daveduke007 @ Mar. 13 2007,01:45) I bet he wont do it again
            I doubt if he will have the chance.

the only way to contact him in 15 years time will be through a Quija board....

Comment

I just dont understand people who, whilst guests in another country, behave like imbeciles.

He deserves all he gets and more. Serves him right.
              seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

Lese Majeste

As a resident in a constitutional monarchy I am pleased to say that this sort of stupidity was swept away in the UK around 200 years ago.

It's a good thing too  -  otherwise Madonna would spend her entire time in the UK courts prosecuting everyone in sight    

RR.
                Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                Kahuna

Comment

It made second page in Brisvegas. The report said that he has lived in Chang Mai 10 Years.So its not as if he didn't know what he was up to. Sounds like there may be more to this then meets the eye.
                  I recall in Brisbane 6 years ago a guy at the local markets got 6 months for selling Australian coins with a hole in them with a chain. They got him because on the back is QE11 portrait Go figure.Must have a similar law out this way.

Comment

Perhaps His Majesty will give him a pardon, then have the idiot deported.

Comment

the press said he had lived in los for 10 years so he should of known better

Comment

I remember dropping a 50baht note once on Sukhumvit and for a split second went to stop it floating away in the wind with my foot but instinct stopped me doing it

Its a defo NO NO thing to do standing on the King's head or to insult him, so defacing pics of him this prick deserves all he gets

I have the same respect for the Queen of my country as the Thais do for their King, and wish everyone was the same but thats a different story

Dave...
                        Your got yer Mother in a whirl
                        Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

Well to many beers for this guy,on the web to night a story about a Swiss National who pleded guilty to defaceing posters of the King back in Dec. It seems this fella became upset because he could not get any more booze and he decides to spray paint the Kings Image.
                           He pleads not guilty in Dec. but after a conversation with either his lawyer or the Swiss Embassy he changes the plea to guilty. He could get up to 75 years in prison.
                           Evidently this story has been kept under raps the press was asked not to report any thing on this case with the exception of one Thai paper they all fell into line.
                           This guy is supposed to have been living in Thailand for about ten years in the Chiang Mai area where the offense took place. The story is under a Guardian by-line posted on the web.

Comment

Rxphram sorry I misse your post on the same subject.

Comment

Sorry guys this has alredy been posted, I missed it.

Comment

Working...
                              X