X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tipping Thread (In the LOS)

I'm curious as to what the tipping expectaions are for various stuff such as haircuts, massages, cabs, waiters etc.

Am also curious is their a difference between what a Thai, and ex-pat, a sex tourist, and a backpacker should tip?

Are there regional differences such as does one tip differently in Pattaya than say a small town?

I tend to tip 20baht in the bars unless Im there for a while then it would be 50baht upwards

While I am in Pattaya I always use a laundry service on Jomtien Beach (soi 2), started from the time I stayed at The Eurostar on soi 1, even if Im staying in Pattaya Beach I will take it there on my bike, I will always give her nearly double what the price is because she is so cheap, call me a soft touch but I would feel guilty if I didn't

60 baht tip for a haircut

A cab from Pattaya to BKK, I normally give 200baht tip but nothing from BKK to Pattaya, but this will change as Im gonna be using the Bus next time

Dave...
    Your got yer Mother in a whirl
    Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

About 10% to waiters unless the service is crap (and it usually is so I don't often tip at all in restaurants.)

For taxis - this is complicated but basically if I am going a long way and he seemed glad of the fare then I'll tip an extra 40 or 50 Baht. If I'm stuck in traffic (cabbies hate this) and the cabbie hasn't complained; then I'll tip. If the cabbie is friendly then I'll tip a little extra. I'll tip a lot if all of the above apply. But as a rule I just round up the fare to the next 10 or 20 Baht...

I tend to give unexpected tips... here's an example... I was shopping at foodland with Cindy a couple of days ago. I'm very particular about how my groceries are packed. I like the big plastic bags, filled up to the top and I like the groceries seperated into fridge goods, canned foods, drinks, etc. The guy packing the bags did a perfect job and even popped outside to get us a taxi. I gave him 100 Baht. I would normally NEVER tip a bag boy, so this must have made his day.

My haircut costs 40 Baht but I always give him 100. He lives close by and I can always go when it's convenient for me and not just when he's open. This is a very useful arrangement as I keep odd hours.

Twice a year I buy whisky and pizzas for the motorcycle taxi guys. (An investment in my safety!) I also pay 10 Baht for a ride that costs 7 Baht as waiting for 3 Baht change seems a bit undignified and the guys all know me.

Bell hops get 20 Baht regardless of where I stay.

I always find a piece of clothing that needs darning or mending and pay the old lady who works outside from a beaten up old table 100 Baht. I do this about once a month simply because I like her.

I have a handyman who taes care of stuff around the house and although je doesn't actually charge me anything as he's a neighbor I always give him something. It's sometimes hard to make him take the money but I'm firm and I don't make him feel guilty about it.

I overtip hookers by thousands because I'm trying to make their prices shoot through the roof for the cheapo fuckers that come here!

OK... I overpay them but that's my business, not some sad armchair economist who talks out of his arse!

Comment

But I will NEVER tip any street sellers, My TAG HEUGER watch has just packed in today and its only 6 weeks old

Comment

(stogie bear @ Jan. 15 2007,01:02) I overtip hookers by thousands because I'm trying to make their prices shoot through the roof for the cheapo fuckers that come here!
          fantastic!!

seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

(stogie bear @ Jan. 14 2007,17:02) I overtip hookers by thousands
            Im guilty of that too, I tend to take my girls very very L/T but the payback I get is worth it

Comment

My formula is pretty much the same as Stogies ( shocking, isn't it ? )
              A Cabbie who is friendly and speaks good English can get a 50 Baht tip, a lousy ride and its just round it up to the nearest 10.

I tip some of my building staff directly around New Years, and for the rest I buy them a bottle of good scotch at Holiday parties.

Restaurants is 20-40 Baht, unless there is a service charge included in which case I don't feel the need to tip.

For a massage I always tip 100+......you never want to get your masseuse angry at you !

As for the girls, its totally random and depends on my mood
              "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

during my last trip I let Kai do all the paying and tipping and in general the following rules applied:-

Taxi drivers - 1-4 baht - rounding the fair up to the nearest 5 baht regardless of distance if it was a fare ending in 0 or 5 baht then he got no tip.

Laundry - ditto

Restaurant waiters - 20 baht

Bar staff (non go-go) - 20 - 100 baht depending on how long we had been there and the quality of the service.

Friends 100 baht.

Oh and one other instance of money given away, we were in obsession on Christmas night and Kai got 500 baht in 20s, - threw it all on the dance stage and watch the scramble - Merry Christmas everyone
                Too old to die young!

Comment

(jellybean @ Jan. 15 2007,14:15) Friends 100 baht.
                  Same here.  Teerak and I went to a Thai restaurant, I was the only falang in the place and she suggested that I give her two ladyboy waitress friends 100 baht each in the hand.

By the way their share of pooled tips for the night was something like 30 baht each so Thais are not big tippers.

Then we all went out and bought Beer Changs from the convenvience store and drank them in a little hole in wall.

The two waitress ladyboys spoke no English but there was Thai guy who was their friend who could speak a little.   But somehow hanging out in a little joint away from the scene drinking Beer Chang was one of the nicest things I did on the trip.  Go figure.

And I was a big hero cause I bought the beer and paid a tab of maybe around a hundred baht or so for soup.

Comment

(daveduke007 @ Jan. 15 2007,01:13) But I will NEVER tip any street sellers, My TAG HEUGER watch has just packed in today  and its only 6 weeks old
                    Where did you get it ? I've 3 Panerais and a Rolex, all AOK after 12-18 months. Didn't like the look of the Tag's myself...

Comment

Working...
                    X