Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slightly off topic but still on the subject of two-tier pricing...

Two nights ago in Dubai, there was an Asian Cup qualifying match between Iraq and Australia. (Iraq won 1-0, surprisingly. Stonking volleyed goal in the 6th minute. It's on youtube)

Anyway, the admission price for Iraqis was 10 to 20 dirhams. For white folks who didn't especially support either team but just came to watch a football match, it was 100 dirhams. For full-on Aussies it was $US 100 - around 275 dirhams!!!

And the price per person was set entirely at the discretion of the bloke on the turnstile.

Comment

A price increase of course does not kill compared to that what one has to pay back home. Nevertheless I do not like advantage taking. Those farang people who pay such prices very easily encourage people to ask for even more from farangs. If this is what you want then support such demands and behaviour.

Comment

(lblavr @ Jun. 08 2008,02:58) if that's your problem,you should consider staying at home
        Erm... You obviously have no plans to be around here for long, have you?

Comment

Wonder when BKK Taxi Cabs will raise that 35 THB Min
          You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

20 baht for one of those truck bed rides is 10 baht more than I'll pay.

Hey SamperDoc... I've been wondering about BKK taxi prices myself. How have they stayed so low for so long?

Comment

(stogie bear @ Jun. 10 2008,15:42) 20 baht for one of those truck bed rides is 10 baht more than I'll pay.

Hey SamperDoc... I've been wondering about BKK taxi prices myself. How have they stayed so low for so long?
              simple, rigged meters...

La Bamba ~ The friendliest (and sexiest) ladyboy bar in Pattaya!

Comment

Ha... You'd think so, wouldn't you? But in all the years and tens of thousands of taxis I've got in and out of I don't think I've ever had one with a rigged meter!

A 'broken one' but not rigged!

Comment

In New York some taxi drivers/meter shops rig meters (this is something I actually know about). Maybe they'll set it to run 7% fast so no one really notices. Hard to believe this doesn't also happen in Bangkok cause it's not a difficult procedure.

Comment

(rxpharm @ Jun. 08 2008,04:03) PigDogg is providing an informational post - not complaining about it. It is a long established practice and fact that farangs pay more than Thais for a variety of things.

Price has been low for years, I am surprised that the price did not go up sooner - still far superior to the Baht prices the Patong Beach taxi mafia charge in Phuket.
                    Jesus you really are a moron. You would have to be one of the most iraatating posters on this site.
                    Are you sure your not a girl in disguise.

Comment

wow - where did all that anger come from?
                      No honey, no money!!

Comment

You took the words out of my mouth ..... and vangough, you may have bitten off more than you can chew,

they don't come more respected or liked than rxpharm, who just happens to be a SENIOR MODERATOR !!!!

It's not too late to post a retraction, I strongly recommend it .....
                        Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

HEY ! Van Gee

Be careful, it will be more than your ear thats cut off.

Peace and love man

or it will be van go

Comment

Isnt the LPG/LNG they put into taxis only about 9 baht per litre? Rings a bell to me

I think in relative terms the local LPG/LNG price is fairly cheap and maybe a reason why taxi prices have stayed down.

And as for the baht buses, just pay your 10 and walk away... you wont be chased

The motortaxis are just as bad too... always try and rip people.... I was with my thai GG friend once on the way back to her place and we took bike each. She paid 20 baht which is correct local price, but even with her there they tried to double mine to 40 baht... she sorted them out though - 20 baht it was!

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

(bigmick22 @ Jun. 11 2008,07:44) wow - where did all that anger come from?

damm agree where in the hell did it come from.

Comment

(vangough05 @ Jun. 11 2008,07:15) iraatating
                                At the very least learn to spell or use spell check especially if you're going to draw attention to yourself with such an outrageous post...

If memory serves me correctly, Vangough has a history of making like posts for reasons know only to himself...
                                And Rxpharm is way too much of a gentleman to reply in kind to this nincompoop...

So let's all give Vangough a resounding "FUCK OFF"...
                                "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

Working...
                                X