Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(brocklanders @ Jun. 25 2008,05:46) One thing a lot of foreigners dont understand is that conversations and situations with Thai people are to be approached differently than in the Western world.   Russians and Germans especially have problems with this as they are very direct and not the most easygoing people in the world.    

For Thais, everything is a holographic dance full of white lies, promises and compliments.    Truth is elusive yet underneath the surface.    Harmony is more important.  When an overaggressive ladyboy tries to block your way or is rude to you in the bar.....just smile and turn the tables on them with a lie.    Promise them you will be back another day and make it up to them.  Give them a kiss on the cheek and hold onto your wallet.    Give them a compliment and you will disarm them immediately.    Even the ugliest and most muscular ladyboy will melt if you give them a compliment and look them in the eye.  It helps to speak Thai also.    If they get demanding and want to go now, just lie...always lie.  Tell them you have to meet a friend or are meeting someone for dinner, etc.    You can even tell them that you would go with them but you have a gf or wife or have 2 girls laying in your bed right now and dont like short time rooms...etc.     One thing you NEVER do is get phsycial with a Thai person or shout insults to them.   If all charm fails, lie and deny.....

Play the game, play the game, play the game........
    Hello

Fully agree with this. Your advice is the only way out in these situations. Nobody loses face then. The mistake we all made at the beginning is thinking like a farang without realizing how thai people think or act. Being direct is the biggest mistake a person can make when he is in thailand. It can work in europe or the US it never works in thailand. Do it once or maybe twice in thailand and you get so many "nice" reactions you never do it again. Your post makes that perfectly clear and I hope Mr freebird understands this now.
    Ok my last trip in Pattaya had more bad than good experiences but I solved them with a smile to the amazement of some lb's involved who were trying to provoke me. One thing I knew after this was that Pattaya was off my list but without nagging like a child on a forum. It doesn't bring you anything ( only a lot of negative energy and that kills your health) but instead you carry on and get your fun elsewhere in thailand. ( and there are many nice alternatives). People who don't understand this shouldn't go to thailand anymore or visit this country in the first place. In buddism there is a famous remark how to carry on in your life like the elephant that gets hit by arrows in a battle but goes on without losing its temper and just swallows this.

Comment

Freebird, did you know that you can buy Xanax over the counter in Thailand?

Comment

Yes, and you should stock up well... The prices for Xanex in the west are depressing!

Comment

Well, thanks for the medical advise. I will buy some of these pills. I need them for all the days I am not in LOS.

Comment

(stogie bear @ Jun. 26 2008,07:11) you should stock up well... The prices for Xanex in the west are depressing!    
            That reminds me of the time I got a job working for the Samaratians .........
            One night i phoned in sick , but they talked me out of it  
            Free your mind and your ass will follow .

Comment

(dummy_plug @ Jun. 25 2008,17:56) Low season could even depress what ordinarily would be high season. Falling dollar and higher fuel prices will discourage *some* tourists from the US, and maybe even other countries (i.e. HK which pegs their currency to the dollar) from going to Thailand and instead vacationing a bit closer to home. While I don't think its going to spell the end to tourism in Thailand, other websites have reported large drops in the numbers of visitors already that you'll see less ppl throwing money around even during the holiday months.
              Good news for me, as I find my love life improves as their poverty and desperation increases. A win-win-win situation.
              "The Ladyboy Collection- start yours today!"

Comment

Good news for me, as I find my love life improves as their poverty and desperation increases. A win-win-win situation...
                A big 'amen' to that!

Comment

(janey1984 @ Jun. 25 2008,22:14) like the elephant that gets hit by arrows in a battle but goes on without losing its temper and just swallows this.
                  Thats because an Elephants arse is around three inches thick . There arnt many thick skins guys around this forum... probably two and im not one of them.

Dont expect the average tourist to buy into that bullshit because they aint got a clue...

Comment

(Tomcat @ Jun. 27 2008,02:14)
                    (janey1984 @ Jun. 25 2008,22:14) like the elephant that gets hit by arrows in a battle but goes on without losing its temper and just swallows this.
                    Thats because an Elephants arse is around three inches thick . There arnt many thick skins guys around this forum... probably two and im not one of them.

Dont expect the average tourist to buy into that bullshit because they aint got a clue...
                    Hello Tomcat

And that is why some tourists like freebird start a post like this and by not listening end up in real bullshit every time. Read mr brocklanders post. Well written and well thought. This man knows his business. More people should take his advice serious on their next visit. If european or american tourists prefer to behave like they do in their native country up to them. Then these kind of tourists certainly need the skin of an elephant. The tourists of that category which I saw the last time in Pattaya already had the arse but I still missed the skin.
                    I have seen too many wankers from europe and the us getting themselves into trouble by simply not listening and even expecting from fellow farangs to solve their shit. That is why I prefer thais instead of farangs when I'm in thailand. I always try to avoid as many farangs as possible when I visit thailand.( Isaan is the perfect escape) Again elephant wisdom but not for the average tourist.

Greetings

Comment

Do you have any comments that apply to the subject of this thread?

Or are you just going to make personal attacks on the other posters?

RR.
                      Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                      Kahuna

Comment

For Thais, everything is a holographic dance full of white lies, promises and compliments. Truth is elusive yet underneath the surface. Harmony is more important. When an overaggressive ladyboy tries to block your way or is rude to you in the bar.....just smile and turn the tables on them with a lie. Promise them you will be back another day and make it up to them. Give them a kiss on the cheek and hold onto your wallet. Give them a compliment and you will disarm them immediately. Even the ugliest and most muscular ladyboy will melt if you give them a compliment and look them in the eye. It helps to speak Thai also. If they get demanding and want to go now, just lie...always lie. Tell them you have to meet a friend or are meeting someone for dinner, etc. You can even tell them that you would go with them but you have a gf or wife or have 2 girls laying in your bed right now and dont like short time rooms...etc. One thing you NEVER do is get phsycial with a Thai person or shout insults to them. If all charm fails, lie and deny.....

Play the game, play the game, play the game........
                        Brilliant!!!

Now, next time I am being chased down Soi 6 by a yabba-induced, brick-throwing psycho from Hi Boss......I must remember...

.......I must turn and give her a kiss, and play the game, play the game!!

I wonder which hospitals my medical insurance is covered by
                        Mister Arse

Comment

(Stewart @ Jun. 26 2008,18:01) Now, next time I am being chased down Soi 6 by a yabba-induced, brick-throwing psycho from Hi Boss......
                          You make a habit of doing that?

RR.
                          Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                          Kahuna

Comment

haha, well my rules dont apply when getting chased by phsycho's with weapons.....in that case, dont play the game....run like hell.
                            brock landers

Comment

By the way... Your Tshirt is in the post!

Comment

(shrimpsoup @ Jun. 24 2008,09:18)
                                (Freebird @ Jun. 24 2008,10:43)

"It´s about the rudest thing you can do.."

So guess why I did it to that bitch. At least I did it with a smile in my face. Seriously, what she did while I was leaving really pissed me off. I wasn't in a good mood anyway after all the boring gogos and then this goddamn fucking ugly bitch... I just had it...
                                sounds like hanging around with you would be more fun than a barrel-O-monkees
                                Freebird spreads sunshine whererever he goes!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X