X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kitten Club - A Fine Balance

What do any of us know about running a business in Thailand? Not much I imagine but my own education has been boosted these past two weeks with the opportunity to meet the people behind the Penthouse Suites & their associated bars - the Kitten Club & Obsessions.

Having followed my thread with interest, they were happy to set the record straight about their business model & give their side to the story.

I sat down one morning & emailed them my own observations. Some good, some bad, plus the allegations that were leveled against them here in the forum, with the club accused of being a clip joint, a crap hole, rip-off joint, etc.

"Who do believe to be the most important person in the bar?" I was asked.

"Easy" I replied "it's always the customer."

"Half right, remember you are in Thailand & here the staff's interests must be respected or before you know you will have no staff. Now what will the customer do if I have no staff?"

Hmmmm, I thought, "they won't stay?"

"Correct, then what do I have? An empty club that takes no money, Now remember I am a farang & I have less rights than the beggar in the street so I do need to listen to their demands. Your first point about the music volume has occurred regularly, I order it down to a comfortable level & next thing I have some of my best girls leave because they can't dance if it isn't loud enough. That may sound like a minor problem but it is always my top girls who can get a job anywhere who will leave. They are considerably harder to replace than the next customer"

I had suggested that there were too many people working in the place, that the pressure for tips came from too many wanting too much from too few.

"That is a problem I am happy to have. Ask any bar owner what he would most like more of & it is top girls. When things are busy & the bar has had 10 barfines before 8pm, it can look very dead inside."

"10 barfines??" I said incredulously.

"Easy, we have many regulars who fly in 6 or so times a year & will book out the pool & take the best 10 or 20 girls out of the place for 3 or 4 hours."

"That must be expensive?" I said.

"Yes but then again these are not people who need to check the price of a Tiger beer before they can order a drink."

"Well" I continued "what about the continuous requests for lady drinks, tips for the entertainment, the feeling of pressure to pay up?"

"A few points - where do you go where the girls don't want a drink, where they don't ask for tips? And if it is annoying, just say no. Call Pat the manager & ask him to help. He is also the person to speak to about queries with the bins. We don't have a policy of overcharging, my problem is keeping the staff in line. The question of the 149 baht lady drinks (with alcohol) versus the 99 baht Kitty Colas comes up because the commission is higher on the first then the second. I have asked Pat to keep a watch on it."

"Another thing, how can we be singled out for being expensive when we offer draft beer for 79 baht, two for one happy hours, & have you ever been somewhere comparable in Hong Kong or Singapore & seen what they charge there?"

"Well that really isn't the point" I said "we are here in Pattaya & the other LB bars are cheaper."

"Kitten Club is a GoGo with some of the best talent here beautifully presented in bikinis, with a spa bath, a private pool, 30 to 40 girls available every night, what exactly am I guilty of? A few guys think I should charge less because they can drink cheaper? I am not running a meeting place for guys to gather & talk, I would love to entertain them when they are looking for some nice company. We can't be everything."

So there in a nutshell you have it. It is your money & you get to decide where to spend it. The club won't be changing for our personal preferences which is good news for La Bamba, Ezy Bar, Stringfellows, Pook Bar, etc but there comes a time in your visit where you just might want to do something else.

Bear it in mind, remember to speak up if you feel you are being robbed, check out the talent, join them in the pool if you wish, take them upstairs, jump in the spa, it's a good place if you are not counting pennies, or even if you are.
    Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

well done pacman, nicely put together and well thought out.
    i love t-girls

Comment

I remember some wise chap saying something similar on the original thread.
      we are not the target market, so I don't think anything we say matters.

They have a working strategy of get the tourists in, and make as much money as possible
      Getting repeat customers from locals and regular visitors is not their strategy - and it ain't gonna change - Kittens clubs has been like this for years.
      Everything is your interview reinforces that. With the only new information being he has some repeat visitors who don't care what they spend.
      "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

I am not running a meeting place for guys to gather & talk...
        Fair enough.

Comment

This was a top level response from a shrewd businessman who knows where his real income comes from, the private sector who want to remain private and willing to pay accordingly for this privilege.

Us average BM's do not factor in his checks and balances as it is not our level of clientel he caters for, can't wait to check it out though!
          My idea of foreplay is getting my wallet out......

Comment

(pacman @ Sep. 23 2008,06:03) two for one happy hours
            Are these 2 for 1 happy hours the same time everyday?

One of my favorite watering holes just raised their happy hour prices from 35 baht to 40 baht so may have to try some new places.

Comment

I like your watering holes my friend , esp when the one on the right is working
              Attached Files
              Free your mind and your ass will follow .

Comment

very interesting and informative.

thank you for going to all that trouble.

Comment

Great post Pacman
                  You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

Kitten club was my first ever gogo bar in Pattaya,two years ago, and also the place where i bf my first GG.
                    Was there for allmost every night for 2 weeks,and never had a problem with the girls/bin.
                    But then again, i did connect with the current manager at the time (Tony...or Anthony witch is his real name) a realy nice Irish guy and i was invited to "his" table every time.

And for the guys that have problems with the bin, just check the recite every time you order,and the problem would not acure.

Comment

(Matrix @ Sep. 23 2008,16:47) And for the guys that have problems with the bin, just check the recite every time you order,and the problem would not acure.
                      implies that if you don't constantly check your bin, you should expect dodgy stuff to happen

when even the supporters of the bar suggest you need to keep checking, then I plan to steer well clear
                      No honey, no money!!

Comment

(bigmick22 @ Sep. 24 2008,09:10)
                        (Matrix @ Sep. 23 2008,16:47) And for the guys that have problems with the bin, just check the recite every time you order,and the problem would not acure.
                        implies that if you don't constantly check your bin, you should expect dodgy stuff to happen

when even the supporters of the bar suggest you need to keep checking, then I plan to steer well clear
                        bigmick22,
                        so you mean to say it gets done on purpose? or probably the owner asks the staff to rip you off?
                        think again dude; you, me and most of us BM's have been visiting thailand for a while now, don't you agree that the majority of the locals wouldn't leave any fine opportunity to rip you off? stop expecting to be baby fed anywhere in this country or for the say, anywhere else in the world.
                        stop dreaming and welcome to the real world, or rather real thailand!?

Comment

pacman,
                          great job mah man!
                          seems like you're the only one on the same wavelength as me.
                          mind you, i was accused of rather having something to do with kitten club or pattaya obsessions a few months ago when i spoke and my only sin was that while i'm in pattaya i'm just a regular in there.

Comment

(verity @ Sep. 24 2008,01:10) bigmick22,
                            so you mean to say it gets done on purpose? or probably the owner asks the staff to rip you off?
                            my post is clear - I know you can read. It was a comment on matrix's post - no need to paraphrase it for your own ends. It is what it is

Surely you can see why people have suspicions regarding your motivation to post? I think their suspicions are reasonable. When are you going to talk about something else? Post a trip report or answer somebody's request for info or get involved in a discussion where you are not at loggerheads with a lot of other posters.

You had a go at someone on another thread about his lack of posts but you only have 14 posts to your name. You've made a number of posts today already on Obsessions and , as you mentioned above, have made comments regarding Obsessions previously. So, it seems that many , if not most, of your posts are about this single bar. Strange ... uness you are a board member using a separate alias just to post about Obsessions - in which case, shame on you

Anyway, thanks for all the facts and telling me about the real world. The day I need some anonymous poster on t'internet to tell me how to be street smart is the day I know I'm fucked and I will give up
                            No honey, no money!!

Comment

(verity @ Sep. 24 2008,13:16) pacman,
                              great job mah man!
                              seems like you're the only one on the same wavelength as me.
                              Just to set the record straight I don't know verity nor am I employed by the Kitten Club.

I was repaying their kindness when they recovered my money last February.

I have no motive here whatsoever, & apart from several cups of tea, I have no open bin inside the club, no discounted room, no freebies at all...

I did have several drink vouchers, freely available to all house guests, as is the free use of the pool inside Obsessions.

I will have to ask Sam to put one in at La Bamba....
                              Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

Working...
                              X